Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Gas Tank Vent
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
krewe01
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:51 am    Post subject: Gas Tank Vent Reply with quote

I was wondering if anyone could tell me where the vent tube from the gas tank hooks up to. I think it may hook up to this T fitting I found coming from the filler nozzle that also hooks up to the gas heater? Can anyone tell me if I am correct or tell me where it goes, if anyone has a picture that would work to. Thanks in advance

Lyle
Woreign
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The line from the filler tube runs along the back of the trunk and "T"s into a line that runs to the expansion canister and back to fuel tank. The line that exits the canister runs down a hole and under the tank and hooks up to metal line that goes to the back of the vehicle to the carbon canister. Hoses from the fan and air filter hook up to the carbon canister and purge the vapors into the carb.

The fuel line that supplies the heater shares the same hole in the trunk, but the systems are separate.
krewe01
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So if I run a hose from the tank to the T that is correct?
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, but make sure the metal line that is under the tank has not rusted shut first. The ends tend to rust shut so you have to cut of an inch or so and then hook up the line properly. If not then you will create suction on your tank which you will hear when you remove your gas ca...swoosh. The suction can be so great that it will compress the gas tank.
krewe01
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a bit confused. The vent is on the top of the tank
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK this is how it runs-there is 2 vents one near the filler inlet and one on the drivers side front of the gas tank. Both of these lines run along the sides of the trunk up to the middle top where the connect to the tee. From the tee another line goes to the expansion chamber on the drivers side of the trunk. A clear line connects to the other side of the expansion chamber and runs through the luggage compartment near the brake master cylinder and connects to a metal line that runs across from the drivers side to the passenger side. Then there is another metal line that runs on clips on the drivers side at the edge of the floor pan all the way to the back to the charcoal cannister. These metal lines are connected using the German woven hose. The problem that occurrs is that these metal lines rust up on the ends. If they rust then they won't vent the gas tank properly. What happens is you have a hole in the hose somewhere and when you replace the hose now the system is closed and you cause vacuum at the tank. Old VW's were much simpler-they just ran from the vents in the tank up high and then back down and through a hole and vented to the ground near the front of the car.
Thingggg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice explination 74 Thing.

Quote:
Old VW's were much simpler-they just ran from the vents in the tank up high and then back down and through a hole and vented to the ground near the front of the car.

Any body modded their vents to make them simple like this. If so any details--did you use a filter of some sort? I'm not smog complient anyway.

Stupid question, but is using the expansion chamber nessary or can a line run dirrectly from tank to an electric fule pump then to regulator then to the carb?

Sorry if this is too much of a hyjack, but sorta on the same subject.
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elec pump should be mounted underneath the tank to push the gas and then the regulator should be in the engine compartment close to the carbs then into the carbs.

To vent like an old bug just run both vents (one near the gas filler and the other near the drivers side front of the gas tank) up high to the middle of the engine compartment to a tee and then back down on the drivers side and out through the hole by the access panel for the steering box. Just let it vent to the ground. I had to do this when looking for a replacement expansion chamber and it worked fine, but now it is all hooked up like stock.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: