Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Looking at a 73 Thing
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
lewis71bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:58 pm    Post subject: Looking at a 73 Thing Reply with quote

I'm looking at a 73 thing to purchase, and had some questions and some pictures. Sticker on the thing says it was manufactured Nov. 73, and overall appears in great shape, although not 100% complete. The pans are in good shape with some rust. There are 3 small pin holes under the drivers feet, and the battery tray needs some work, I can handle that.

The engine is not stock. I'm more familiar with superbeetle engines, but this appears to be an older single port (1500?) engine. Here are some pictures:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The number on the engine is AU094521. What year is the engine and what can you tell me about it? I don't see a place on the engine for a mechanical fuel pump, and in the pictures you see an electrical fuel pump, but I don't see and couldn't find a fuel pressure regulator. Should this be a concern? It has a solex H30 carb and 009 distributor. It starts and run great, although it currently idles too high and the timing seems to be off a little (backfires on deceleration).

It has a BN4 gas heater that currently is inop for an unknown reason. What resources are available for troubleshooting/repairing the heater?

It has the hard top and brandnew, never been used soft top.

What Bentley manual would have specifics on the Things?

Thanks to all that can offer any help!
Woreign
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For starters, this Thing looks like it is in great shape! Even though it doesn't have the correct engine, the engine compartment is relatively clean, which tells me it was well taken care of.

It's not uncommon for VW engines to be swapped out. I'm not sure about the lack of a mecahnical fuel pump, maybe the engine is from a fuel injected model? You also don't have the correct fan shroud. '73 and earlier Things with the gas heater do not have the heater hose ducts. Original shrouds are running around $250. What type of exhaust is on the vehicle? 73s had a dual/split muffler system that exited out the holes in the bumper. You probably have a regular Beetle exhaust...

As far as the heater, you can view and/or download the service manual here: http://failsure.net/oacdp/ebersp.html
Hopefully the vehicle still has the fuel pump for the heater, which is located above the master brake cylinder, under the fuel tank.

Also, the H30 carb and 009 dist go well together. If you're tempted to switch to a SVDA carb, be prepared to switch out the carb too!

Good luck!
oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a question for Woreign. Isn't it unusual for a '73 to be manufactured in November 1973?

I realize Things were Mexican-built by this time. I also noticed this example did not have the telltale muffs the '74 US-spec model had. I just would have thought the '74 models would have been built by Nov. '73.
cubist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like it's got 4stud rims all round as well... maybe its a Bitza?
Woreign
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know the specifics, but I've read about the manufacturing years carrying over into the next. It may have to do with using up all the 73 parts before they starting with the 74.
lewis71bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll post some better pics this evening. I want to show the vin labels, manufacture label and there's a second label on the driver side door frame that says something about "This vehicle modified by ..." does that mean anything? I can't find anything about the AU engine code. Are those FI cases? Seems like there should be a hole for the mechanical fuel pump beside the dizzy? Does the needle in the carb prevent the electric pump from sending too much fuel? There is no return line to the fuel tank. Am I worried about nothing?

Thanks
Woreign
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A return line to the fuel tank is only for FI engines. The electric fuel pump that is on the vehicle may already be set for the necessary pressure. The needle valve in the carb will regulate the fuel flow. I wouldn't worry about it...

I've never heard of a "modified by" tag. Maybe at one time a high-performace engine was installed and the builder added the tag? The engine was since replaced with the single port that it is in it now.

I found a reference to an AU engine on Rob and Dave's website:

"Someone wrote -- I have a Volkswagen Beetle with an engine number starting with the letters AUxxxxxxx. I tried to find that engine series number in your website but there's no number begining with AU. Lastly, what is the engine number series for Volkswagens made in Brazil?

Rob responded -- I haven't seen or heard of any engines starting with AU - very strange.

I wonder if it's a rebuilder's ID - added when the engine was rebuilt - although then I suppose it should be something like AUDxxxxxxx or AUFxxxxxxxx, (before the normal D or F etc) so I don't really know.

Another possibility is that it's a case originally used on a VW industrial engine - I don't have the number series for those (VW built millions of 1200 and 1600 industrial engines).

I don't have the number series for Brazillian or Mexican made engines either - I'd love to know those."
Towel Rail
Horizontally Opposed

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm... I bet it's a fuel-injected Type III case. http://home.planet.nl/~koni1691/ecodes.html#U

049 > 070 > 053 > 009
lewis71bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cubist wrote:
Looks like it's got 4stud rims all round as well... maybe its a Bitza?

What's a Bitza?
lewis71bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As promised, here are some more photos (and questions). According to the label, it's made in 11/73, and here you can see the "This vehicle was altered by Riviera..." label I mentioned earlier:

I also verified the engine number, and it's AJ094521, not AU (sorry):

Here's some more photos of the engine area and the exhaust. Is this single or dual port?:

Here's some of areas around the hard top. Is the top supposed to be water tight? You can see gaps in between the top and the body and doors, where rain could get in. What can be done about this?

And it does have 4 stud wheels all around, if that means anything.

Thanks again for everyones help on this and any pointers you can provide!
Towel Rail
Horizontally Opposed

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, the AJ indicates it's the case they used on FI Beetles from 1975 on. Although the rebuilder decided to use single-port heads for some reason. If it "runs great", don't touch it, except to tune it up! (And to hook up the heater boxes.)

Also interesting is the BUG beam in front. Why they didn't take the opportunity to upgrade to discs while they were doing it is a mystery to me. :S

049 > 070 > 053 > 009
lewis71bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Towel Rail wrote:
Ah, the AJ indicates it's the case they used on FI Beetles from 1975 on. Although the rebuilder decided to use single-port heads for some reason. If it "runs great", don't touch it, except to tune it up! (And to hook up the heater boxes.)

Also interesting is the BUG beam in front. Why they didn't take the opportunity to upgrade to discs while they were doing it is a mystery to me. :S

I thought the 73 models only had the gas heater for heat. Is there a place to run the heat from the heater boxes into the cabin? I didn't see the 'bug type' heater channels inside the cabin or a place for heat to some in under the back seat.

Is having a bug beam on the front a problem? Someone mentioned earlier that the 4 stud type wheels may indicate it is a "Bitza". What is that, and does the front beam replacement indicate something may have been done on the rear suspension as well? Anything to whatch out for?

What about the hard top not sealing well (you can see it in the above pictures)?

Anyone have pictures of all the pieces to the soft top? The frame is all apart, no instructions available for assembly, and the canvas top is new, in a box, never been put on. The original top was cut off the frame (dry rotted, I was told).

So many questions, sorry!
vwdug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:11 am    Post subject: Bug Beam, 4 stud Wheels, Heater Boxes, Top not sealing Reply with quote

Fist of all the bug beam is not a problem, I ran a bug beam on my first Thing and it handled fine. The only downer is loss of ground clearance ( about 2-3 inches). As for someone questioning why they didnt put disc brakes....well Things only ever came with Drum, and the person who put the beetle beam on probably decided not to opt for the additional cost of disc, or they would have just spent the extra $ for the correct Thing Beam!

4 stud wheels, again not a problem, I too had these on my first Thing. The only thing you will find is that the wheels are inset a bit from where they should be, may look a little goofey, but will work just fine.

Heater Boxes, well you dont even need them, there is NO place to hook them up on the 73 models. Yes the 73's only came with the Gas Heater. In 74 They got rid of the Gas Heater, and duct work up the center tunnel. If the heater boxes on there need replacement, just buy J-tubes....much less expensive, and its all you need for a 73.

The top not sealing good to the windshield frame, this could be as easy as broken Top Latches or use of incorrect top latches, or as difficult as Rot in Fiberglass header bow, or rot on the upper portion of the top frame. Take a good look and use your best judgement.

As for the convertible top frame, there should only be 2 real pieces unless someone decided to tak out the rivets/studs which hold it together. What should be together in the unit is the Header Bow, the side rails, and the mid bow, the olny seperate piece should be the rear top bow, and this may or may not still be attaced with fabric straps to the rest of the frame.

BTW, how much are they asking for the Thing?
Towel Rail
Horizontally Opposed

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Bug Beam, 4 stud Wheels, Heater Boxes, Top not sealing Reply with quote

The only reason I recommend hooking up the heater boxes is because they help cool the engine. They are a big heat sink on the exhaust ports, and they roast if you don't blow air over them.

Also looks like the steering box is leaking. Better fix that if you end up buying the car. Smile

049 > 070 > 053 > 009
vwdug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can actuall buy the block off plates for the dog house. I think that would be more suitable than trying to hook up the heat to the car. Good thinking though!

PS...if you cant find the Dog House Block Off plates.....Racket balls work good....just shove them in a bit and then finish them with a hammer or mallet!
lewis71bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The PO was asking $5900. I bought it today for $4000. Do you all think I paid too much? My wife and I have been wanting one for sometime and this is the first decent one we've found in our area. This will be our second VW (71 superbeetle, same color as the Thing)!

Steering box leaking (I see what you're talking about in the pictures) - What do I do about this?

I have a set of J tubes that were on my 71 super (now has the heat boxes and works great) that I can put on the Thing. What are the block off plates for and where do they go?

I'll be replacing all the soft fuel lines and placing the filter somewhere beside the engine bay. Then going over the brakes. What else should I do asap as far as safety/reliability?
Towel Rail
Horizontally Opposed

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vwdug wrote:
You can actuall buy the block off plates for the dog house. I think that would be more suitable than trying to hook up the heat to the car. Good thinking though!

PS...if you cant find the Dog House Block Off plates.....Racket balls work good....just shove them in a bit and then finish them with a hammer or mallet!

I think you're missing the point. I'm talking about hooking the fanshroud up to the heater boxes to provide airflow to them, NOT hooking the other end of the heater boxes to the car.

I'd recommend J-tubes for a '73. Only then is it healthy to block off the fanshroud ports.

049 > 070 > 053 > 009
Towel Rail
Horizontally Opposed

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lewis71bug wrote:
The PO was asking $5900. I bought it today for $4000. Do you all think I paid too much? My wife and I have been wanting one for sometime and this is the first decent one we've found in our area. This will be our second VW (71 superbeetle, same color as the Thing)!

Congratulations! $4000 for that is a much better deal than the $3700 I paid for mine! Wink

Quote:
Steering box leaking (I see what you're talking about in the pictures) - What do I do about this?

I'd check to see if anything is loose -- locknuts, fill plugs, etc.

Quote:
I have a set of J tubes that were on my 71 super (now has the heat boxes and works great) that I can put on the Thing. What are the block off plates for and where do they go?

You'll need to plug the ports on the fanshroud (freeze plugs work well). I see a couple small holes in your tin that you should patch somehow.

Quote:
I'll be replacing all the soft fuel lines and placing the filter somewhere beside the engine bay. Then going over the brakes. What else should I do asap as far as safety/reliability?

Good man! I'd check the timing, and change the plugs. Go around and make sure everything is lubed (enough in the trans, grease the beams, wheel bearings, doors, etc.) Use this if your steering is loose: http://bobhooversblog.blogspot.com/2006/12/vw-tulz-part-ten.html

Stuff I'd do if it were mine -- replace the aircleaner with a good oilbath, and the distributor with a vaccuum-advance. The generator needs a cover for that slot on the top.

049 > 070 > 053 > 009
Towel Rail
Horizontally Opposed

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Upon closer inspection, I see that the front beam has been cut-and-turned. *That's* how it has the same height as a Thing beam! Smile

049 > 070 > 053 > 009
cubist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bitza - bits of this and bits of that Wink

It's fairly common to find UK Trekkers with four stud beetle front beams and g'boxes fitted - normally to get rid of the trekker only drums at the rear - but also makes it that much easier to lower of course...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: