Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Specs. of tire, wheel, and suspension - Lowered Buses
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 50, 51, 52 ... 58, 59, 60  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Specs. of tire, wheel, and suspension - Lowered Buses Reply with quote

67T1 wrote:
gunbab wrote:
I have a question about lowering my brazil bus.
I have lowered spindels in the front (8cm) and how many splins do need to lower for a nice horizontal stance?
I have RGB´s in the rear.
15inch wheels

Witch tyres should you mount on my wheels?

And could i use normal new handbrake cabels?

Here is my advice. It sounds like you are approximately 3 inches down in the front. I would not go any lower than 2 splines on the rear torsion bar/spring plates. If you go down to 3 splines, you WILL ruin your RGBs. I personally went three down and ate up my bearings up and starved the RGBs of oil. However I knew what I was doing and the risk associated with it because I was going to install a 68 bug transmission, which I did. I recommend 2 splines, however you may have to adjust according to how it "looks." I know it is economical, however I would HIGHLY recommend that you consider a 68 bug transmission with offset spring plates since you will lose three inches eliminating your RGBs. Look at my friend's (surfr4evr) blue/white one, 7th post down http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=217649&start=960. He uses 175/55-15s all the way around and it looks good. You may be able to use 185/60/15 as well with no problems. He has lowered spindles and two splines down in the rear. However I know that he now has a transmission and offset spring plates. Hope this helps. Good luck!

Just saying "go two splines down" doesn't really mean much. You need to use a combination of inner and outer splines to dial in your ride height. I would not go too low with RGB's, as you said, as they become starved for gear lube and get ruined.

Lose the RGB's, get offset or modified spring plates, and don't look back. You don't need a 68 tranny, you need long axle/long spline axles that came from a 68 bug, or a swing axle type 3. You can either use the long/long axle tubes and offset spring plates, or get/make modified short axle tubes and modified bus spring plates.

You can also drop the dough for some adjustable spring plates to really fine tune the ride height. Whichever way you go, do it right and take your time.
bergfan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:07 am    Post subject: Re: Specs. of tire, wheel, and suspension - Lowered Buses Reply with quote

Correct me if im wrong but dont the RGBs have there own oil reservoirs ?
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: Specs. of tire, wheel, and suspension - Lowered Buses Reply with quote

bergfan wrote:
Correct me if im wrong but dont the RGBs have there own oil reservoirs ?

They have their own fill and drain plugs but they are connected to the center via the axle tubes.

If you fill the center only, it will flow out to the RGBs to keep them at the proper level... as long as the RGBs are at the right height.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
squareonair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: Specs. of tire, wheel, and suspension - Lowered Buses Reply with quote

Front
145/65/15
15x4 inch wheels
2.5 narrowed front beam
3.5 flipped spindles
1.5 raised steering box
drum brakes

Rear
195/65/15
15x5.5 deep wheels
3 inch narrowed rear torsions
long axle/long spline axles
short axle drum brakes

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
squareonair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: Specs. of tire, wheel, and suspension - Lowered Buses Reply with quote

Front
155/60/15
15x4.5
3.5 narrowed front beam
3.5 flipped spindles
1.5 steering box raise
waggenswest drilled and vented willwood porsche disk brakes

Rear
215/65/15
15x6 Deep
stock torsion
Wide5 offset springplate
long axle/long spline trans
waggenswest drilled and vented willwood porsche disk brakes with drum e-brakes in center hub

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
6sixTinBox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Specs. of tire, wheel, and suspension - Lowered Buses Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:

Just saying "go two splines down" doesn't really mean much. You need to use a combination of inner and outer splines to dial in your ride height. I would not go too low with RGB's, as you said, as they become starved for gear lube and get ruined.

Lose the RGB's, get offset or modified spring plates, and don't look back. You don't need a 68 tranny, you need long axle/long spline axles that came from a 68 bug, or a swing axle type 3. You can either use the long/long axle tubes and offset spring plates, or get/make modified short axle tubes and modified bus spring plates.

You can also drop the dough for some adjustable spring plates to really fine tune the ride height. Whichever way you go, do it right and take your time.

Noted.

It is what it is
henk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 6:38 am    Post subject: Re: Specs. of tire, wheel, and suspension - Lowered Buses Reply with quote

squareonair wrote:
Front
155/60/15
15x4.5
3.5 narrowed front beam
3.5 flipped spindles
1.5 steering box raise
waggenswest drilled and vented willwood porsche disk brakes

Rear
215/65/15
15x6 Deep
stock torsion
Wide5 offset springplate
long axle/long spline trans
waggenswest drilled and vented willwood porsche disk brakes with drum e-brakes in center hub

Looks great with those fat tires on the back.
Must be fun to change the wheels on the back.

Henk!!!
jweymar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: Specs. of tire, wheel, and suspension - Lowered Buses Reply with quote

Front: Wagenswest 4" beam, 1 notch from highest, airlift bagged. Federals 165/45/15. Fuchs 15*5, willwood calipers. 2" inch raised box. qa1 shocks. Rollers for dem bumps..

Rear: Wagenwest IRS rear, spring plates bug tranny (FF). Standard axles. qai shocks, 15*5 fuchs, federals 165/55/15. airlift bagged willwood calipers with drum emergency..

Stephbong
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:26 am    Post subject: Re: Specs. of tire, wheel, and suspension - Lowered Buses Reply with quote

Hi,

It's my first split bus and it's lowered with IRS and adjustable spring plates, everything mounted by a pro, very well.

Adjustables spring plates are more a less to the middle adjusted and I'd like to go lower at the rear, my question can appear dummy but: how do I adjust?

1. Remove rear wheels
2. Adjust with the "big screw" while counting number of turns to reproduce the same on the opposite site?
- I've to touch on the screw that is a little bit forward to get play?

Do I miss something?

By the way I've an adjustable front beam with lowered spindles 3.5, I suppose the principe is the same to adjust as on a bug

Thank you for explanations!

Steph

Here's how the bus sits now, as I know we love pictures Smile
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: Specs. of tire, wheel, and suspension - Lowered Buses Reply with quote

You should contact the company that built the plates to get a copy of their install and adjustment instructions.
Stephbong
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:55 am    Post subject: Re: Specs. of tire, wheel, and suspension - Lowered Buses Reply with quote

Ah, ok thanks, I tought it was the same for all adjustable spring plates

Krgds
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: Specs. of tire, wheel, and suspension - Lowered Buses Reply with quote

Stephbong wrote:
Ah, ok thanks, I thought it was the same for all adjustable spring plates

Krgds

They are all basically the same, but the manufacturer's instructions will (should?) be much more clear and concise than trying to explain it here. Hopefully they have a bunch of photos, too.
bergfan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Specs. of tire, wheel, and suspension - Lowered Buses Reply with quote

You have to loosen the lock nut on the " big screw " then loosen that other bolt and adjust the " big screw " till you get the desired drop or lift , same on the other side then tighten the lock nuts.
Stephbong
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:48 am    Post subject: Re: Specs. of tire, wheel, and suspension - Lowered Buses Reply with quote

Hi,

They call me yesterday to give explanation

No need to remove the wheel if you want to go lower (upper it's needed)

-First loosen a little the "bolt on the middle", it's a 16 in metric
Then Loosen the bolt on big screw and adjust

-Thight the two bolts

Looks simple Smile

Thanks!
Help Help
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: Specs. of tire, wheel, and suspension - Lowered Buses Reply with quote

I like the skid wheels on the blue bus a few posts up. I recognize the skid wheels as readily available RV items but I'd love some pics of how people have attached them.

Here's a link I found to source the wheels. http://www.rvpartscountry.com/Mini-Weld-on-Steel-Skid-Roller.hyml
SteveVWBusArnold
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Specs. of tire, wheel, and suspension - Lowered Buses Reply with quote

Anyone put 18" wheels on a split window? Does it require modifications? I will need to change out axles to get a bolt pattern that will fly with 18's ..need help deciding.
typ914
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: Specs. of tire, wheel, and suspension - Lowered Buses Reply with quote

This question was posted a few years ago but I would like to see if there are any updates. I have a 58 SC project and a complete set of 944 brake compnents including rear trailing arm s and front spindles. Also included are a set of 16"phone dials wheels, 7 and 8s. How easy/difficult would it be to use these components on the SC.
1958kafer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Specs. of tire, wheel, and suspension - Lowered Buses Reply with quote

Hi, has anyone got 6.5 inch BRM'S on the back of there bus? Pictures and specs would be great. Cheers
CPO_05
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Specs. of tire, wheel, and suspension - Lowered Buses Reply with quote

In the middle of a straight axle conversion on my 67, using Thing drums so I can use my stock rims. Stock tires I have are 195/75/R14 and they will not fit in between the body and drums.

For those that are running close to this stock size (185s), how did you get your tire to fit?
bergfan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Specs. of tire, wheel, and suspension - Lowered Buses Reply with quote

You need to place a scissor jack between the axle housing and the chassis to force the axle down to provide room
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 50, 51, 52 ... 58, 59, 60  Next
Jump to:
Page 51 of 60

Jump to: