Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Specs. of tire, wheel, and suspension - Lowered Buses
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 41, 42, 43 ... 58, 59, 60  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
pitbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:00 am    Post subject: Re: RDWs Reply with quote

pitbug wrote:
Hi, I'm trying to get the scoop before I buy, does anyone know if these RDWs will fit on rear of 57 SC running IRS? I've seen a SC from Japan with them, I IM'd guy a month or so ago with no reply... any help would be gr8ly appreciated. It was tough getting these stockers back on...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Ok Randee was asweome during entire process, kept me informed: here they are Cool
Ok here it is:
4” beam (can’t remember, no longer in business)
Flipped spindles WW Nate
Raised steering box
Fronts 165 45 15
Rear 195 65 15
Stock front brakes
Rear T1 IRS and T1 brakes
Wheels: RDWs( but you knew that, right Laughing

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jeffff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

15 x 5 rim on a stock beam with dropped spindles.

What backspace is preferred (more forgiving with regards to tires) 3.25, 3.6, 3.75?
kingodirtp3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a 4.5 in backspacing is best when using stock width beam. aftermarket rims will stick out further, which means they'll rub the dog leg bad if you go too low. you need 2 or even 4 inch narrower beam to lower it with other than stock bus rims. my stock 14x5 rims with 185/55 tires went just to the edge of the dogleg and hardly ever rubbed.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jeffff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are guys running aftermarket wheels on dropped spindle, stock beam buses not using 5 inch rims? 5 x 4.5 on the fronts then?
kingodirtp3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

most guys get narrowed beams if they plan on running aftermarket rims because there aren't any or very few aftermarket vw rims that have offsets near 4.5 inches. if you go wider than 5 inches with stock width beam even with 4.5 offset you'll begin to rub on bumps.
I had my stock rims 14x5 4.5bs widened to 14x6 with the same backspacing and now the tire will rub slightly on the dogleg where before it wouldn't.
used 185/55 tires on both sets of rims.
when I set up my front suspension I knew I was going to keep the stock wheels and get them widened, so I choose the stock width beam. if I was going with aftermarket rims I would've got atlease a 2in narrowed beam.
most guys will get 15x5.5 aftermarket rims and they will use a narrowed beam so it all fits.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bongo_veedub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Front

Dropped spindles
4'' narrowed and adjustable beam
175/55/15

Rear

Straight axles (modified axle tubes)
Adjustable springplates
195/65/15

Grey KYB's and Mooneyes Speedmasters (Offset: 21) all around.
Very nice cruiser and it doesn't hits or rubs. But on rough roads, a steering box protector is a nice thing to have Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
SambaUser1M
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

busworks wrote:
This was my bus...
first on the road. 17x7 in the front 17x9 1/2 in the rear. 4" narrowed ball joint beam with custom Wagenswest 2 1/2" dropped spindles, Audi TT calipers with Eurovan 312mm rotors up front. 3" narrowed rear torsion housing, Rancho built freeway flyer swingaxle trans, Audi S4 rotors and calipers in the rear.

Tight squeeze in the rear

Hey Busworks, what are your tire sizes? Besides narrowing the rear torsion bar, did you have sufficient wheel well clearance or did you have to cut the inner wheel wells?

And silly question: Are same-year bus inner wheel wells the same size as scab inner wheel wells?
busworks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was running 205/45R17 Toyo Proxes up front and 245/45R17 on the rear. I had a 1/2" clearance between the inside and outside of the tub. It was a process to get the wheel off. The suspension had to be set with the wheels at 0 camber to not rub the tub. Also had to remove the stock shock mounts and remake new ones to set closer to the frame and further forward for better shock alignment.

I did no trimming of the wheel tubs. Also, truck and bus wheel tubs are the same for the same year.

Hope this helps. Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SambaUser1M
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

busworks wrote:
I was running 205/45R17 Toyo Proxes up front and 245/45R17 on the rear. I had a 1/2" clearance between the inside and outside of the tub. It was a process to get the wheel off. The suspension had to be set with the wheels at 0 camber to not rub the tub. Also had to remove the stock shock mounts and remake new ones to set closer to the frame and further forward for better shock alignment.

I did no trimming of the wheel tubs. Also, truck and bus wheel tubs are the same for the same year.

Hope this helps. Dan

It helps a bunch. Thanks for the 411, Dan.

James
stevecul8er
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 3:53 pm    Post subject: rear fender clearance Reply with quote

Good thread,lots info,nice buses. Unless I missed it - I found maybe 2 posts (pg 30, 5 post down and the recent one above) which mentioned the space between the tire or wheel and the rear fender space. There I hope will be some discussion which would be the acceptable spacing. I know fitment varies with back spacing,narrowed rear,tire sizes,irs combos etc. Comments about this combo "fits" is nice, but my personal concern is .25 in the minimum or .125 or ??? to compensate for any suspension movement so nothing hits the fender.
Thanks Samba
durfeec
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: rear fender clearance Reply with quote

stevecul8er wrote:
Good thread,lots info,nice buses. Unless I missed it - I found maybe 2 posts (pg 30, 5 post down and the recent one above) which mentioned the space between the tire or wheel and the rear fender space. There I hope will be some discussion which would be the acceptable spacing. I know fitment varies with back spacing,narrowed rear,tire sizes,irs combos etc. Comments about this combo "fits" is nice, but my personal concern is .25 in the minimum or .125 or ??? to compensate for any suspension movement so nothing hits the fender.
Thanks Samba

What set up are you wondering about?
stevecul8er
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: rear fender clearance Reply with quote

durfeec wrote:
stevecul8er wrote:
Thanks Samba

I already have mocked and setup with wheel and tire on (still won't be driveable for awhile) and have 1/4 inch between tire and fender lip(should've had on my layout 3/4 inch but CIP misadvertised backspacing by 1/2 in-another story) so basically I guess is what is everyones' "comfort"level or what clearance people have on their setups.
SambaUser1M
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: rear fender clearance Reply with quote

stevecul8er wrote:
durfeec wrote:
stevecul8er wrote:
Thanks Samba

I already have mocked and setup with wheel and tire on (still won't be driveable for awhile) and have 1/4 inch between tire and fender lip(should've had on my layout 3/4 inch but CIP misadvertised backspacing by 1/2 in-another story) so basically I guess is what is everyones' "comfort"level or what clearance people have on their setups.

I think durfeec was asking what axle setup are you running? Different axles change the way the wheels move in and out and they move up and down. With IRS, there's less in and out movement with up and down suspension movement.
stevecul8er
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a Creative Engineering Air IRS setup with bug tranny,71 bus drum setup with the 205 bolt pattern, Fuchs 15X5.5 from CIP (they advertised 4.5 backspacing but I had to bring it to their attention that they were in fact 4.0 and since then they changed their website) with BF goodrich g-force 205/50zr15 which I will be changing.
DONGKG
The Araneta Boys

Location: Cainta, Rizal, Philippines, "A Certified Type 3 and Karmann Ghia Maniac"

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good day, fellow Split Bus drivers.

Any inputs on the flipping procedure?

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=449852&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

.... as shown here?

http://www.kustomcoachwerks.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1704

....... or as shown here too!

I am really contemplaing on doing this procedure on my split. Is it really worth it?

thanks,

Dong
'67 Splitty Bus
'65 beetle;'69 Country Buggy; '44 Kubelwagen (replica) TOOB MEMBER #20
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busworks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine had a 1/2" clearance on either side of the wheel. Swingaxle with sideplate stiffeners on the trans.

I studied wheels for a long time while building this suspension. made sure I was able to get one with custom offsets to make the wheel fit where I wanted it.

The only time the tire would rub was when I had the bus really loaded. Otherwise, I had plenty of travel. Getting the wheel off was another story. Long process to change the tire.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
stevecul8er
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

busworks wrote:
Mine had a 1/2" clearance on either side of the wheel. Swingaxle with sideplate stiffeners on the trans.

I studied wheels for a long time while building this suspension. made sure I was able to get one with custom offsets to make the wheel fit where I wanted it.

The only time the tire would rub was when I had the bus really loaded. Otherwise, I had plenty of travel. Getting the wheel off was another story. Long process to change the tire.

Thanks. I also have some body issues(opposite side has 3/8 in).Since the wheels were advertised as 4.5in my fender would have 1/2 in. Just wanted to know what measurement people had with their setups.
durfeec
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevecul8er wrote:
I got a Creative Engineering Air IRS setup with bug tranny,71 bus drum setup with the 205 bolt pattern, Fuchs 15X5.5 from CIP (they advertised 4.5 backspacing but I had to bring it to their attention that they were in fact 4.0 and since then they changed their website) with BF goodrich g-force 205/50zr15 which I will be changing.

Crazy how wide that set up makes you. I don't think you will have a problem because its IRS and will travel up and down. What I did to check clearance was to remove the torsion bar in the rear but mock everything else up. Then just jack the tire into the wheel well as far as it will go. My bus wont rub anywhere until the tire hits the top of the wheel well. I have an IRS set up with about 1/2" on the back side.

You could run a 185/55-15 and still have the same height tire just lose an inch of width. Or a 195/55-15 and lose a 1/2" if you wanted a wider rear tire. I ran a 195/55-15 or the rear of both of my buses. But I have 8" and 7" rims back there.
stevecul8er
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

durfeec wrote:
stevecul8er wrote:

Crazy how wide that set up makes you. I don't think you will have a problem because its IRS and will travel up and down. What I did to check clearance was to remove the torsion bar in the rear but mock everything else up. Then just jack the tire into the wheel well as far as it will go. My bus wont rub anywhere until the tire hits the top of the wheel well. I have an IRS set up with about 1/2" on the back side.

You could run a 185/55-15 and still have the same height tire just lose an inch of width. Or a 195/55-15 and lose a 1/2" if you wanted a wider rear tire. I ran a 195/55-15 or the rear of both of my buses. But I have 8" and 7" rims back there.

I don't think this setup made it any wider. The previous owner had the rear wheel wells cut up to for whatever reason and we replaced the sheetmetal with new Gersons panels.There might have been some damage to the wells but anyway one side has about 5/16 in tire to fender and the other side 1/4 in. My main concern is that is 5/16 in space good to go or maybe 1/8 n the closest one would run.
Maybe I should ask what is everyones measured width btween the tire and the fender.
Thanks durfecc.
durfeec
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevecul8er wrote:
durfeec wrote:
stevecul8er wrote:

I don't think this setup made it any wider. The previous owner had the rear wheel wells cut up to for whatever reason and we replaced the sheetmetal with new Gersons panels.There might have been some damage to the wells but anyway one side has about 5/16 in tire to fender and the other side 1/4 in. My main concern is that is 5/16 in space good to go or maybe 1/8 n the closest one would run.
Maybe I should ask what is everyones measured width btween the tire and the fender.
Thanks durfecc.

Something just doesn't seem right though. There is a hightop bay. I forgot the owners name. Turkis/white bus. He is running 17x7 BRMs in the back of his creative set up. It doesn't even sound like you could fit that wide of rim back there if you have that little clearance with the 5.5" rims. I have 7" rims in the back of mine. I have at least 1.75" between the tire and the outer fender. And about 1/2 clearance on the inside. If you can make your tire goes through a complete bottom out and it not rub anywhere, you will be fine regardless of other peoples spacing.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 41, 42, 43 ... 58, 59, 60  Next
Jump to:
Page 42 of 60

Jump to: