Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Thing turn signals
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ernieballbass
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 4:56 pm    Post subject: Thing turn signals Reply with quote

hey guys,

i have seen a couple things with tiny turn signals. what year are the turn signals (pre1967 bug?) and what do i have to do to instal them on a 1974 thing???

chris
kubelmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Thing was produced from 1968 - 1980 It was imported to the US in 73-74 The big turn signal assemblies are from US Thing. The smaller are from the German Things. You can buy early bug turn signal assemblies from many xources. I suspect you will need to change one of the mounting holes. The early turn signal assemblies had one fewer bulb than the Bigger units. The wiring will not be a problem to convert.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwdug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want the correct look you will also have to purchase some Early German Thing front fenders because the mounts for the turn signals are smaller than the ones we see on the mexican imported models the US got in 73 and 74.
kubelmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that post. Last night when I posted, I kept thinking about the smaller lifted area on the Euro fenders but could not confirm this in my mind. I kept trying to see the tops of my friends red civil service 69 Thing. You have confirmed my foggy memory. It would look silly to have the early signals on late fenders..
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: