Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official whine about Ovals and Oval parts thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 103, 104, 105 ... 159, 160, 161  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sportin-wood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Ovals and Oval parts thread Reply with quote

quik56 wrote:
hello... my son is looking into getting an oval. any opinions on this for that price? Basically getting a shell. And heater channels are goners.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1953031

That's a heck of a project. The price, in my opinion, is too high. I'm thinking $1500-$2000 max, depending on how it looks in person. Yours and your son's expertise with welding and VW's in general will depend on whether this would be a good project for you. Of course if funds are unlimited, that's not an issue - you could have most of the major work done by a shop. Although the Euro (semaphores, etc.) are desireable, you need to look at the overall picture on what parts will be easier to find than others. Good luck!
"Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman. He's got this ultimate set of tools. I can fix it." --- Jeff Spicoli
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
THX 1138
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 10:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Ovals and Oval parts thread Reply with quote

Best car ad description I've read in a while. This guy really thought it out, must really want to sell his car.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1942636
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Ovals and Oval parts thread Reply with quote

THX 1138 wrote:
Best car ad description I've read in a while. This guy really thought it out, must really want to sell his car.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1942636

It's an Oval, you don't need to know anything else.

Very Happy
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 11:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Ovals and Oval parts thread Reply with quote

When your Oval Window isn't big enough, just smash it larger
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1958200
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
quik56
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Ovals and Oval parts thread Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
When your Oval Window isn't big enough, just smash it larger
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1958200
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Rusty gold..... some damage Shocked Shocked Shocked
awreed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Ovals and Oval parts thread Reply with quote

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1959817

Shocked that's a lot of zeros for a hacked up Oval. Not sure it's provenance can support a 5 digit price tag. Wonder how long it's actually been for sale.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Ovals and Oval parts thread Reply with quote

ad went up here Sunday Shocked
Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
sportin-wood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Ovals and Oval parts thread Reply with quote

awreed wrote:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1959817

Shocked that's a lot of zeros for a hacked up Oval. Not sure it's provenance can support a 5 digit price tag. Wonder how long it's actually been for sale.

The ad says sale "pending"!
"Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman. He's got this ultimate set of tools. I can fix it." --- Jeff Spicoli
awreed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Ovals and Oval parts thread Reply with quote

I saw that it was posted on thesamba on Sunday, but the user name for this seller is disneyherbie. That leads me to believe that either this is the only VW he owns, or he joined thesamba for the explicit purpose of selling this particular car. I wouldn't be surprised if he's been trying to sell it since he joined TS in 2006.
56Cabrio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Ovals and Oval parts thread Reply with quote

awreed wrote:
I saw that it was posted on thesamba on Sunday, but the user name for this seller is disneyherbie. That leads me to believe that either this is the only VW he owns, or he joined thesamba for the explicit purpose of selling this particular car. I wouldn't be surprised if he's been trying to sell it since he joined TS in 2006.

Here is the thread on his car. He also owns Mike Wolfs old Split.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=546247&highlight=

1956 Rag Top owned since 1988
1956 Convertible owned since 2000
1963 Hard Top

RIP Dad 4/20/1951 - 2/4/2023
disneyherbie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Ovals and Oval parts thread Reply with quote

Some of you guys are funny. So quick to judge. I've been in the VW game for a long time. So just because my username reflects one of my passions I'm all of the sudden a one trick pony? I've owned many, many VWs over the years. Not just Herbie. I've also been frequenting the samba a lot longer than 2006 despite what that particular username may show.

As for the "hacked up oval," it sold for full asking price in less than 24 hours. I don't expect it to be everyone's cup of tea, but it's a pretty significant car, and probably the best documented original Herbie out there.

This is what turns a lot of people off of the VW hobby. Instead of embracing folks within the VW circle, and it's different facets, people feel the need to tear others down and make unnecessary comments. Maybe do a little research online before throwing blanket statements like that out there next time...
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Ovals and Oval parts thread Reply with quote

Yep. Applause
Redbarnresto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 5:31 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Ovals and Oval parts thread Reply with quote

Awreed, at $85,000 that car wasn't even the most expensive screen-used Herbie to ever sell. They're worth some coin...

As for Tory (disneyherbie), he may not have written the book on VWs but he *literaly* made the documentary! Look for it on DVD soon...

Dan
Westy Steve
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Ovals and Oval parts thread Reply with quote

disneyherbie wrote:
Some of you guys are funny. So quick to judge. I've been in the VW game for a long time. So just because my username reflects one of my passions I'm all of the sudden a one trick pony? I've owned many, many VWs over the years. Not just Herbie. I've also been frequenting the samba a lot longer than 2006 despite what that particular username may show.

As for the "hacked up oval," it sold for full asking price in less than 24 hours. I don't expect it to be everyone's cup of tea, but it's a pretty significant car, and probably the best documented original Herbie out there.

This is what turns a lot of people off of the VW hobby. Instead of embracing folks within the VW circle, and it's different facets, people feel the need to tear others down and make unnecessary comments. Maybe do a little research online before throwing blanket statements like that out there next time...

Congrats on the sale! I'm glad others saw the value in it. Not so valuable as a car that you're going to drive to the grocery store. But probably one of the ultimate Disney collectibles in existence...only a handful exist and if I had the money, I'd have bought it. I can't be the only one who had an emotional connection when I saw those movies. I also vividly remember the scene of the "junker" trying to help all of the other VWs...it's cool that this was the same car.
awreed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Ovals and Oval parts thread Reply with quote

disneyherbie wrote:

My apologies, Tory. You're right that I did not do my homework on this. I did not know who you were and I had no idea that any Herbie was worth this price, let alone that there would be a full price offer only 24 hours away.

As far as tearing people down within the VW circle,.... well, this is the whines thread, and I am an opinionated a-hole at times. I'll call out people who I believe overcharge or overpay- whether I'm right or wrong. Frequently I'm wrong, as pointed out.

You were also right that this car isn't my cup of tea. I didn't like the Herbie movies and to me your car IS just a hacked up Oval. That said, there really is an ass for every seat....
disneyherbie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Ovals and Oval parts thread Reply with quote

Thanks awreed. It takes a big man to make an apology on a public forum and I accept yours. It may seem like a ton of money for that car, and it is for sure. But these cars are really rare. Of the 10 cars used in the first movie, less than half are still accounted for. Cars from the sequels change hands every few years but cars from the first movie are another story. I could've gotten more for this car I've NO doubt, had I paid Mecum or BJ to overhype the car and do their song and dance, but I prefer to just sell cars on my own. It will be going to a great home where it will continue to be preserved for generations to come. Like em or not, these original cars bring the bucks. I've been in the Herbie game for awhile now but I've become rather fond of my split, and now I'd like to find something earlier than my '52. So begins the hunt for a 45,46,47... Again thanks for the apology. No harm no foul.
Redbarnresto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Ovals and Oval parts thread Reply with quote

I've said it before and say it again; no one looks at a Babe Ruth signed baseball and says "it's just a bit of old sports equipment" or the Mona Lisa and says "it's just a pre-used canvas." In the case of this car, it's not a VW. It's not even a car. It's a film prop, and from a beloved family favorite to boot. And as far as film props go, you can spend a heck of a lot more than $85k on one. Sure, it's not exactly in mint condition. But imagine what it would have sold for if it was.

Dan
disneyherbie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Ovals and Oval parts thread Reply with quote

Redbarnresto wrote:
Sure, it's not exactly in mint condition.

Dan

I prefer "screen-used patina"...
Redbarnresto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Ovals and Oval parts thread Reply with quote

"OG dents."

Dan
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Ovals and Oval parts thread Reply with quote

Redbarnresto wrote:
I've said it before and say it again; no one looks at a Babe Ruth signed baseball and says "it's just a bit of old sports equipment" or the Mona Lisa and says "it's just a pre-used canvas." In the case of this car, it's not a VW. It's not even a car. It's a film prop, and from a beloved family favorite to boot. And as far as film props go, you can spend a heck of a lot more than $85k on one. Sure, it's not exactly in mint condition. But imagine what it would have sold for if it was.

Yes, plus it covers 2 different collector bases - VWs and movie memorabilia.
Items like that often command an even greater premium.

I think when people see the Mona Lisa they just say "It's so small" Very Happy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 103, 104, 105 ... 159, 160, 161  Next
Jump to:
Page 104 of 161

Jump to: