Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official whine about Ovals and Oval parts thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 108, 109, 110 ... 159, 160, 161  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jays58s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Ovals and Oval parts thread Reply with quote

quik56 wrote:
$13000?? Are you serious?1
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2023133

That car is super rough lol.
3foldfolly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Ovals and Oval parts thread Reply with quote

jays58s wrote:
quik56 wrote:
$13000?? Are you serious?1
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2023133

That car is super rough lol.

Looks like a lot of rare original early stuff is still there.
motofly196
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Ovals and Oval parts thread Reply with quote

I don't think that is too out of line. Just the 1- engine, seats, hood and decklid will get you almost halfway to his asking price. I would bet those rear fenders are original to the car, just begging to have a nice set of egg tail lights mounted back up!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jays58s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Ovals and Oval parts thread Reply with quote

This is a beautiful car, but seems to be about $15k or so too high. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2018376
jays58s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Ovals and Oval parts thread Reply with quote

So this car was was never in an accident, superbly restored, yet the rear fenders are wrong, hood is wrong, the front apron has been replaced, wrong speedometer, wrong transmission, and the car supposedly had 44,000 original miles? Two super picky people went through a long process of collecting parts and finishing the car, but couldn't go the extra mile to do it right? I guess I just hate seeing cars "restored" incorrectly, then get listed with an insane price tag. It would cost quite a bit more to make this car correct. The sad part is, someone that doesn't know any better will probably buy it.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2026196
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Ovals and Oval parts thread Reply with quote

That a pretty damn nice 54, but I agree that it's a little high. $35k would be more realistic. $26k would be too low

jays58s wrote:
This is a beautiful car, but seems to be about $15k or so too high. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2018376
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
3foldfolly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Ovals and Oval parts thread Reply with quote

txoval wrote:
That a pretty damn nice 54, but I agree that it's a little high. $35k would be more realistic. $26k would be too low

jays58s wrote:

Incorrect fuel pump (aftermarket even), coil, coil bracket, should have thin lip lower pulley. Upper pulley is a later pulley with a 36 mm nut. Distributor incorrect (should have wire type cap clips. Fan shroud is also later, should not have wire retainer clip on drivers side of shroud. I suspect its probably a later engine and they installed strap air cleaner and round regulator to make it look like a 54. The seat upholstery is very nice but the seats appear overstuffed. They're not letting us get a good look at the hood hinge areas to see if the hood is correct. I would not call this "restored to factory specifications, no expense spared". The steering wheel is installed upside down. Rolling Eyes
jays58s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Ovals and Oval parts thread Reply with quote

Shocked https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2034417
project_therapy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:52 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Ovals and Oval parts thread Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2036405

Solid shell? Give the community pictures otherwise this feels like a scam. Do you think samba members can make a good judgement on your bias opinion? need clear images of the aprons, inner wells, rust All areas. I'm tired of people hiding the real problem areas that cost thousands of dollars and tons of time and hours to repair properly. One rear view image of the back window?

A solid shell has never been hit, tapped, or bumped, ever. Pretty darn rare these days, especially on oval. For 12k Open the kimono and show the bad, I don't need to see the good, that's given, I need to see what are potential costs that are going to make this an upside down investment.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jays58s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Ovals and Oval parts thread Reply with quote

knaggy wrote:

Solid shell? Give the community pictures otherwise this feels like a scam. Do you think samba members can make a good judgement on your bias opinion? need clear images of the aprons, inner wells, rust All areas. I'm tired of people hiding the real problem areas that cost thousands of dollars and tons of time and hours to repair properly. One rear view image of the back window?

A solid shell has never been hit, tapped, or bumped, ever. Pretty darn rare these days, especially on oval. For 12k Open the kimono and show the bad, I don't need to see the good, that's given, I need to see what are potential costs that are going to make this an upside down investment.

That dude is well known for being vague and not having any pictures. I don't know if the ever actually sells anything, but I know I wouldn't buy anything from him. He sucks at getting back to you too.
Jonnyla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Ovals and Oval parts thread Reply with quote

Too late Knaggy. It's already an upside down investment at that price. Razz
I get it, we all want top dollars for things we sell for the most part but yes agree. Asking top dollar or dream dollars one should include countless pictures or a link to a photo hosting page.

As a reference there has been a few 3-fold oval rag project fro sale at a fraction of the cost that have been posted for quite some time and haven't sold.

Oh an no matching pan at this price, ouch.
project_therapy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Ovals and Oval parts thread Reply with quote

Well....all I can say is if you can hold on your to your ovals...prices are going up. I don't know who is paying these prices but its changing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Ovals and Oval parts thread Reply with quote

Why would anyone sell a nice oval in at least good condition, anyway?
jays58s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Ovals and Oval parts thread Reply with quote

Not sure if this was already posted, but the dash is cut for gauges, it's on a '62 pan, that steering wheel is hideous, fiberglass fenders, late brakes, late long axle trans, wrong seats, shit for interior, and numerous other things and the guy wants $15,500???? Just because the rear window is oval shaped doesn't mean your car is worth top dollar. This hobby is going to shit.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1689530
jays58s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Ovals and Oval parts thread Reply with quote

knaggy wrote:

I just read the entire ad, he's on some serious hippy glue. An incomplete project for $12,000? You can buy complete put together cars for that!
jays58s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Ovals and Oval parts thread Reply with quote

$15,000???

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2036737
3foldfolly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Ovals and Oval parts thread Reply with quote

If Sean Spicer sold vintage VWs:
"This is simply a beautiful 1956 Oval Window Beetle. It is 100% original, has every piece originally there and everything works perfectly" Rolling Eyes
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2037572
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Ovals and Oval parts thread Reply with quote

3foldfolly wrote:
"This is simply a beautiful 1956 Oval Window Beetle. It is 100% original, has every piece originally there and everything works perfectly" Rolling Eyes

What does that even mean?
jays58s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Ovals and Oval parts thread Reply with quote

scottyrocks wrote:
3foldfolly wrote:

I wondered the same, but it's in the whine section, so it probably has something to do with being overpriced lol.
3foldfolly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Ovals and Oval parts thread Reply with quote

jays58s wrote:
scottyrocks wrote:
3foldfolly wrote:

I wondered the same, but it's in the whine section, so it probably has something to do with being overpriced lol.

The seller is misrepresenting this car as 100% original and asking an inflated price as if it were. He is marketing this car with a dishonest statement. I guess if your going to lie you might as well lie "bigly".
Things that are obviously not original:
engine
hub caps
hood crest
seat upholstery
door cards
rear apron
rear deck lid spring
later model dash grab handle and who knows what else not visible in these photos
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 108, 109, 110 ... 159, 160, 161  Next
Jump to:
Page 109 of 161

Jump to: