Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Stroker vs Big Bore
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
craigman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strokers rule! Twisted Evil
Only thing better is, stroker with big bore! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DarthWeber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

craigman wrote:
Strokers rule! Twisted Evil
Only thing better is, stroker with big bore! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

And Super Squishy pistons!!!! Dancing
craigman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya i'd like to play with a set of those! Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DarthWeber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It appears, from what I've read from those who have used them, that even with a performance cam and 2276cc's they are getting gas mileage in the mid 20's to low 30's mpg. Impressive for a performance engine. I wonder if that combustion efficiency would translate to say a 1600, if SS pistons were made in 85.5mm size. Maybe with efficient breathing capability, a mild cam and the benefits of SS design a 40 mpg engine would be possible with better than stock performance. Think
advinnie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I now this is an old thread and im no engineer but I will tell you want I noticed with my little stroker 74mm crank with 85.5mm pistons 1699cc engine. It started of as a mildly tuned 1600cc in a beetle with 90 my top speed and a 0-60 time of just over ten seconds. Then I fitted a 74mm crank every thing else was the same, same heads, cam, rockers, exhaust and carbs. The top end speed never changed still 90 mph but the 0-60 time dropped to 8.5 to 9 seconds. Now that was an important. Plus my brother has a 1776cc 69mm crank 90.5mm pistons and of the line I win every time and he does struggle to keep up with me in town. But once he hits over 4000 ish rpms he's gone so in town my 1699cc mini stroker wins hands down but on the open road the 1776cc wins. Now I much prefer my 1699cc to my bothers 1776cc it's so much better to drive.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont think you want a small cam with super squishey thingies in the barrells...
stroke it then bore it,it feals good.
advinnie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a gene berg 307 cam with 1.4 rockers. But boring it would of cost me another £300 to £400 more and I didn't have that money to hand plus I was not sure my kadron 40s would work if I had fitted 90.5mm pistons ( 1905cc with the 74mm ).
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

advinnie wrote:
I now this is an old thread and im no engineer but I will tell you want I noticed with my little stroker 74mm crank with 85.5mm pistons 1699cc engine. It started of as a mildly tuned 1600cc in a beetle with 90 my top speed and a 0-60 time of just over ten seconds. Then I fitted a 74mm crank every thing else was the same, same heads, cam, rockers, exhaust and carbs. The top end speed never changed still 90 mph but the 0-60 time dropped to 8.5 to 9 seconds. Now that was an important. Plus my brother has a 1776cc 69mm crank 90.5mm pistons and of the line I win every time and he does struggle to keep up with me in town. But once he hits over 4000 ish rpms he's gone so in town my 1699cc mini stroker wins hands down but on the open road the 1776cc wins. Now I much prefer my 1699cc to my bothers 1776cc it's so much better to drive.

You can not compare your 1699 to your brothers 1776 unless both cars have the exact same gearing, tire size and weigh. If your transaxle gearing is different then that is why your car seems faster off the line.
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The small cam and Kads are what limiting your upper rpm range. What cam and carbs is your brother running?
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't strokers make more power at lower RPM? And Bore will give more power at Higher RPM. Guess it just where you want your power! Put the 74mm CrankShaft in the 1971 Bus and man what a difference that makes!
craigman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Danwvw wrote:
Don't strokers make more power at lower RPM? And Bore will give more power at Higher RPM. Guess it just where you want your power! Put the 74mm CrankShaft in the 1971 Bus and man what a difference that makes!

Yep strokers make more power down low!
Torque rules!
advinnie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:
advinnie wrote:

You can not compare your 1699 to your brothers 1776 unless both cars have the exact same gearing, tire size and weigh. If your transaxle gearing is different then that is why your car seems faster off the line.

Good point he has a 1500 gt box and I have a 1200 gearbox will both had kadron 40s with 55 idle jets and I have a 155 main jet l believe he has the next size up. But it goes to prove that with the right gearbox a 1699c can be just as good or better than a 1776cc in town driving witch I think is much more fun than all out top speed driving on the motorway Smile

Last edited by advinnie on Sat Dec 07, 2013 3:53 am; edited 1 time in total
advinnie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry one more thing just thought he has a Engle 110 cam I have a gene berg 307 cam witch is equal to the Engle 100.
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny thing to think about... The 1700 and 1800 type 4 engines had a bigger bore but were destroked compaired to a type one, and everybody loves the torque that they have. Guess that just goes to say that there is more to the picture than simply bore and stroke. Winkwinnk Wink

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=487021
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The type 4 came in at least 2 different strokes didn't it? I think the 1800 was 66mm Not sure but the early Type 4 engine may have had even less stroke and the later Type 4 more.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, stroke is 66 and 71 I think. Also note the length of the rods, much shorter!! The shorter rod ratio probably did help the "torque", but has opposite effect on exhaust flow.......which was part of it's misfortune.
craigman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the type 4 had 66mm and 71mm stroke stock.
The 66mm was used for the 1.7 & 1.8. The 71mm was used for the 2.0.
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 1.7 and 1.8 engines are tanks...arguably one of the most durable gas engines ever installed in a car. They were more of an industrial engine than an automobile engine. They could run at or near full power for a ridiculous amount of time. Solid torquey motors made to pull like an ox all day long.

And just for fun, there are always those 2.5 meter long stroke Sulzer engines...big two stroke diesel engines. The inline 14 cylinder engine made over 5.6 MILLION FtLbs for torque at 102 RPM. All that at above 50% thermal efficiency!

MAN, now controlled by Volkswagen, also makes large low speed two stroke diesel engines that compete with Sulzer that make crazy torque and efficiency...I think the number was 54% or 56% thermal efficiency.

Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bet ya didn't know VW had their hands in this kinda engine work, did ya?!?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Check out the size of this guy compaired to the hydraulic exhaust valve lifters on the top floor of the engine. Those nice shiny curved pipes are the high pressure oil lines that move the exhaust valves!!! (no intake valves, uniflow two stroke diesel.)

Here is another good bore vs stroke one for ya guys. This is the Fairbanks Morse 8 1/8 D8. It is also a two stroke industrial diesel, just much smaller. Still, the pistons are 8.125in in diameter, but each piston has a stroke of about 10 inches for a combined expansion stroke of about 20 inches!! Opposed piston engines do away with the exhaust valves by replacing them with another piston and ring of ports. They make lots of these engines for the US NAVY as well as for standby generators for Nuclear Power plants. Over half of Americas Nuke power plants have these engines installed in them for standby power.

Type 4 Unleashed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I work on these every week, MAN B&W and Sultzer Cargo ship engines. Rods are about 14 feet long running bearing clearances around 1.9mm, pistons are about 3 1/2 feet in diameter with 5 compression rings. The exh valves with a 2 1/2 ft head and 5 feet long and are made of Inconel, each bank of cyl's has it's own 10 ft tall Turbo Charger. Heads are torqued to 900 BAR (a bar is about 15 psi), a single head nut weighs about 70 pds.
A 42 day round trip to Guam, China, Korea, Japan back to California burns about a Million dollars in Heavy Fuel Oil (HFO). So yes Torque monsters, running 80 to 90 rpm 24 hrs a day 7 days a week or until arrival at their destination.

I was in a storm one time, the propeller started caveating with a lot of vibration because while the 300 yd long ship was on a swell the propeller was spinning in the air... Cool

Vanapplebomb wrote:
Bet ya didn't know VW had their hands in this kinda engine work, did ya?!?

Check out the size of this guy compaired to the hydraulic exhaust valve lifters on the top floor of the engine. Those nice shiny curved pipes are the high pressure oil lines that move the exhaust valves!!! (no intake valves, uniflow two stroke diesel.)

find the money to do it twice ?”

Ethics & Honor - Qualities That Seem To Have Been
Lost, Or More Likely, In Most Case's Never Had.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Page 10 of 11

Jump to: