Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Soft top questions
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
lewis71bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:05 am    Post subject: Soft top questions Reply with quote

I'm in the process of installing my soft top. I don't know who manufactured it, it came with the car and was in a wrapper with no instructions. I've got the frame installed and I've fitted the top (what a pain, some of the 'clasps' on the back were very difficult to make reach). Can some kind soul post some pictures showing details of how everything fits together? I've never seen one complete and I'm not sure of some things:

how are the ties on the clasps on the rear of the cover supposed to go?

Is there supposed to be brace/lock of some sort on the fold in the frame (where it folds up in the middle above the doors)? Seems like it would try to fold up on you if you hit a bump.

When you fold the top back (to stow it), are there supposed to be some ties or something to hold it back?

On the 'U' shape bar in the rear (it's connected to the main part of the frame with two black seat belt type material straps), are those straps supposed to go all the way back and connect to the body of the car? Mine look like they may have been cut.

Is the top supposed to be riveted to the frame along the side of the car or only across the front?

What about 'care and feeding' of the 'canvas' material? What should I do (cleaning/etc) to make it last forever and not dry out/rot?

Wayne
wings_n_fins
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll see if I can rip the Thing Shop top installation video to a digital format, and then post it on here. Wish me luck.
'09 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
lewis71bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wings_n_fins wrote:
I'll see if I can rip the Thing Shop top installation video to a digital format, and then post it on here. Wish me luck.

Good luck!
rhedrick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same video and if you really need it, I can try and get my IT guys to copy it and I can send you one. Just let me know.
krewe01
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an extra copy on disc you can have. PM me your address and I will send it out to you.

Lyle
mdustman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Call our 800 number or send us an email and we'll mail you our new customer packet of info which contains our DVD including top, seat and show bar installation instructions. If it's not our top, the instructions may not be 100% accurate but you'll get the idea.

Michele - The Thing Shop
800-VWTHING
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
lewis71bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdustman wrote:
Call our 800 number or send us an email and we'll mail you our new customer packet of info which contains our DVD including top, seat and show bar installation instructions. If it's not our top, the instructions may not be 100% accurate but you'll get the idea.

Michele - The Thing Shop
800-VWTHING
[email protected]

Wow! Thanks to everyone for the great support. This forum is an awesome tool!
lewis71bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I worked on my top a little more today. My frame is seriously bent on both sides, bowing upward, not allowing the windows to seal against the frame. I tried to straighten it, but I think it's a lost cause. I'm looking at the "heavy duty frame" from the thing shop. Anyone have one of these frames? What do you think?
rhedrick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have one of the heavy duty tops, but I did buy the stiffeners from the Thing shop. I haven't put them on mine yet, but I have friends that have used them and say they work great. So that might be an option. I suspect the heavy duty frame is great and will probably last you more years than you can count. Pretty sure that video describes the heavy duty frame so you can see what you would be getting. I may be doing the same since my wife managed to run over my top frame Sad
gus111
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've installe 2 stiffener kits in, and they really work great.
I recommend heating the bent frame and staightening it 1st, before you weld in the stiffener though.
surferdudedav
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey im in cincy and ive got a couple top frames.. (3 or 4) one of them is a thing shop top frame.. pm or email me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ferretkona
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lewis71bug wrote:
I worked on my top a little more today. My frame is seriously bent on both sides, bowing upward, not allowing the windows to seal against the frame. I tried to straighten it, but I think it's a lost cause. I'm looking at the "heavy duty frame" from the thing shop. Anyone have one of these frames? What do you think?

Your frame might be ok.
My frame was well used, but it was well stored for years. I had to strip the old top off and repaint some of it, lube up the pivot points. My frame bows upward as well and kind of inward. The top hangs out past the frame on the sides. The doors on mine do not seal on the frame, but the doors do tuck under the "drip?" and rest on a fly of the top. I will try and take some pics of it this weekend.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
ztnoo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you decide that your frame is a lost cause, or at least more work than you care to tackle, Reed Cowan has what is claimed to be a very straight frame for sale on eBay.
Volkswagen VW Thing Type 181 Top Frame VERY STRAIGHT!
Item number: 270095618017
2 days 13 hours left in the auction
Current bid $76.00
Shipping $46.73
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi...1&rd=1
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
peaceful warrior
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Soft top questions Reply with quote

lewis71bug wrote:
I'm in the process of installing my soft top. I don't know who manufactured it, it came with the car and was in a wrapper with no instructions. I've got the frame installed and I've fitted the top (what a pain, some of the 'clasps' on the back were very difficult to make reach). Can some kind soul post some pictures showing details of how everything fits together? I've never seen one complete and I'm not sure of some things:

how are the ties on the clasps on the rear of the cover supposed to go?

Is there supposed to be brace/lock of some sort on the fold in the frame (where it folds up in the middle above the doors)? Seems like it would try to fold up on you if you hit a bump.

When you fold the top back (to stow it), are there supposed to be some ties or something to hold it back?

On the 'U' shape bar in the rear (it's connected to the main part of the frame with two black seat belt type material straps), are those straps supposed to go all the way back and connect to the body of the car? Mine look like they may have been cut.

Is the top supposed to be riveted to the frame along the side of the car or only across the front?

What about 'care and feeding' of the 'canvas' material? What should I do (cleaning/etc) to make it last forever and not dry out/rot?

Wayne

Wayne,
I installed a Thing Shop Top last year, so I can answer some of these questions.
The straps on the rear and side slide thru the hoops in the rear and then back up, leaving a loop below the hoop. It is basically friction that keeps them in place.

The frame should lock against itself in the middle, but your frame may be fatigued. You can get frame stiffeners from The Thing Shop. When the top is lock down at the windshield, it should not fly up or the frame collapse.

There are straps to tie the top down when it is retracted. They are separate from the top, or you could get a cover.

The strap off of the cross bar should go back to the insides hoops on the rear of the interior body.

The top is only riveted at the front, and it should have, if I remember correctly, 3 or 4 hooks on the side and then down behind the rear side windows, that hook under the frame. You may be missing them.

A good quality canvas cleaner should be fine, but then mine was garaged when not being driven.

Hope this helps, and I have the CD also, and I could send it to you.
66 13W Deluxe, 68 Westfalia, 87 Syncro.
TOOB Member #15
Brian
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
lewis71bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to all for the informative answers. I placed an order today with the thing shop for there frame and top and few other items. I'll post some pictures of it installed after I receive it.

Wayne
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: