Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

DRD Racing Heads - [email protected]
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Forum Index -> Buyer and Seller Feedback Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Viewing feedback for: DRD RACING HEADS
Email: [email protected]
Last Visited: August 21, 2017
sb778
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 7:14 am    Post subject: DRD Racing Heads - [email protected] Reply with quote

Would like to thank Darrin Gurrola for the work he did to my heads.Was very helpful,and full of knowledge.Would highly reccomend him to anyone! Thanks again for everything. Scott

Also
[email protected]
[email protected]
CJG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes a great guy, built a 2275 44x37.5 044 and a special grind cam. The motor made 201 hp with the belt. It should make more power with a bigger header and different vents. Runs hard no oil leaks. With a close gear tranny the motor really thrives. I will make a video of my street car so everyone can see the performance of a DRD motor.
Notched
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a set of DRD stage 5 heads and they're beautiful!!! I highly recommend Darren @ DRD Racing Heads!

Current stock: '57 Panel Bus, '63 Rat Notch, '64 Baja, '66 Variant, '67 Convertible Ghia, '68 Squareback, '69 Squareback, '69 Fastback

Southern Oregon VW Club -- http://www.sovw.org

Oregon VW Forum -- http://www.oregonvw.org
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
themilo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just thought I would post my most recent experience with Darren at DRD racing heads. I feel obligated to inform other VW enthusist of how I was treated. This is slightly modified version of the email (Changed you to he, and elimatiated others involved) I sent Darren on 06/07/2007.

On 03/23/07 I shipped Darren the following items. A pair of heads to be
rebuilt (new tapered guides, new valve springs, a valve job and setup my
springs for my CB 2289 camshaft .557 with 1.4's which is what I will be
using as well as anything else that needed to be done). I also request at
the same time a 30mm Shhadek oil pump tapped for full flow and some Cast AA
94's cut down for 90.5's. Originally when I sent him the heads he told
me that he would try to get them done in two weeks. Well, to be honest I
didn't expect that I know he is a busy guy and had other customers ahead.
On 4/23/2007 about a month later I finally received a invoice for the
following items:
8 valve guide replacement $80
1 comp valve job $80
1 dual springs 4047 $45
1 94mm cast B $160
1 machine cylinders $65
1 26mm schadeck pump $24

I promptly replied and told him I wanted the 30mm shadeck not the 26mm.
Which he replied back saying he changed that same day. On 5/9/07 I
called him to see if my items were ready and how he wanted me to send the
payment. At this time he informed me that the pistons and cylinders I
felt I had ordered back in 03/23/07 you no longer carried. But he could
sell me the Cima/Mahles for $20 more. Having no other real choice I went
with this route. Later on that day I recieved a updated invoice with the
following items:

1 comp valve job $80
1 dual springs 4047 $45
1 94mm cast B $180
1 machine cylinders $65
1 26mm schadeck pump $24
1 fedex shipping $35

Once again the 26mm shadeck made it back on there. Which I once again
promptly emailed him about and got you assurance that it was corrected to
the 30mm. I promptly sent him a check for the amount of $509.00 which was
cashed on 5/17/07. On 5/23/07 I emailed him asking if the parts had shipped and/or
the had a tracking number for them. I also noted that I was waiting for
the pistons and cylinders to goto another shop for the 1 week process of balancing.
I received absolutely no response at all from him. At which point I had
to goto a mutual acquittance to find out information about my
parts that I sent to you. On 6/1/07 our mutual acquittance finally received a box
containing my 94mm pistons cut down at the base, and a 30mm schadeck oil
pump tapped for full flow. Which made it to the balancer 6/6/07.
As of 6/7/07 and I have heard nothing from Darren (DRD Racing Heads) about the cylinder heads
that I sent to him on 03/23/07 and he received by 03/26/07. That he has had
now for almost 3 months and received payment for on 5/17/07. I
heard through our mutual acquattance (I am the customer by the way, that was my money he
took). That Darren was waiting for a mill which I think is great I wanted
the heads to be rebuilt in the best way possible which is why I sent them
to him because I felt he did quality work. But, he quoted me two weeks
initially, and doesntrespond to my emails, he has had my parts for almost 3 months and on top of that he didnt have the products he advertised (The
AA's I ordered on 3/26/07 that he still had in stock at the time) I had
the money to pay for them then I just assumed he had them set aside for me.

After waiting two days without a response from Darren via the phone or email I sent him the following email:

"Darren,
Please feel free to respond to my previous email sent 6/07/07. You
are definitely putting me in a difficult situation. The hard part is I
like you as a person Darren. I enjoy talking to you on the phone, and
think you a excellent head porter. But you have by far the worst
customer service of any of the company's I have had to deal with and I
am a mechanic so I deal with my fair share of company's. Well,
hopefully you will have the courtesy to update me on the status of my
heads soon.

Thank you,
Nathan
"

Which on 06/09/07 I recieved a reply to "I sent you a email early this week, your heads will ship out in the next
5 days.We get over 500 emails a week, sorry if we can't make everyone
happy, next time go elsewere!

Thank you
Darren Gurrola"

Which I replied to
Thank you for the response. For the record I received a email on
5/29/07 which included a fed ex tracking number for the pistons and
cylinders being sent to Tim's house. In fact the email was sent from
([email protected]) and mentioned absolutely nothing about the
heads. That was the last email I personally have received from you .
Also, for the record I would have gone elsewhere but you accepted the
business and I feel that I have been more than patient about all this.
My issues are not with the waiting it was with the lack of
communication. For me to finally get a response from you Darren it had
to come to this and you reply with "next time go elsewhere!". I really
don't see where I am in the wrong having my parts gone for 3 months,
getting no response from you about what is happening to them, and being
a little concerned because you cashed my check and until today 06/09/07
after emailing for the last two weeks off/on I got a response as to the
status of my h
eads. What would you expect somebody to do in my case? What would you
do and/or have done? I guess gone elsewhere?

Thanks again and have a lovely weekend,
Nathan

and finally ended with the reponse

"I just looked at your heads, and I will not repair them. I will be
sending back your heads, with a check for the reminder of your payment.

Thank you
Darren Gurrola"

Well, 3 months into this now. I have everything to build a motor but my cylinder heads back. I was told on 4/23/2007 that he had inspected my heads and I needed the following items:

1 comp valve job $80
1 dual springs 4047 $45

Which I sent him payment for which he cashed on 5/17/07.

When I called and talked to him on the phone and asked him why he didnt tell me this sooner he said he didnt want to do the heads, they were to much work (Nice to know now). When I asked why he didnt note this before taking my money he said he "Never looked at them"

Is this the kind of guy you want to deal with. Darren is a great head porter and does excellent work. But, whether you will actually recieve a product or any kind of customer service from him is another matter.

He has currently informed me he is sending my heads back in full with the $205 he owes me on Monday 06/11/07 I will keep everybody updated as to if this happens or not.

I just wanted to help save somebody else from the sour feeling I am having right now.

Nathan
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Classifieds Feedback
bugracer99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you noticed yet that most everybody loves Darrens work & find him easy to deal with (execpt you)? Maybe the problem is not his. I may be wrong but the best way to resolve any problem with someone doesn't include badmouthing them all over the net in my book. At least not when they do some of the best work in their field and you (like me) are a no-body in the VW world.

Tom V

by the way Nathan, ever thought of buying a Honda? You seem like a Honda kinda guy to me. Shame on you Shame on you
FASTBACKDON
The other insensitive jerk like Neil

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bugracer99 wrote:
Have you noticed yet that most everybody loves Darrens work & find him easy to deal with (execpt you)? Maybe the problem is not his. I may be wrong but the best way to resolve any problem with someone doesn't include badmouthing them all over the net in my book. At least not when they do some of the best work in their field and you (like me) are a no-body in the VW world.

Tom V

by the way Nathan, ever thought of buying a Honda? You seem like a Honda kinda guy to me. Shame on you Shame on you

Bugracer very well put!!! 3 months for highend race parts is a walk in the park. SHIT I hope for 3 months when I order my heads but I would rather they take their time. But then again I dont need to hear from a seller every 2 days geez.

Buy my best friends stuff
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php?username=56TIMOTEO

(21:10:42) Jennepher: Russell is our proudest achievment. I feel like Samba created him from a little nugget of crap into a full blown adult.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
1955ccbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bugracer99 wrote:
I may be wrong but the best way to resolve any problem with someone doesn't include badmouthing them all over the net in my book.

Isn't this the "Buyer and seller Feedback" forum?

I've known Nathan for many years, and I know that he and Darren have been good acquaintances for some time now....till now I guess. I have to be honest, just like everything, theres gonna be some good experiances and some bad. I have heard of this kind of thing happening before with him. Sounds like really bad communication on Darrens part.

And obviously you two ^^^ didn't read Nathans post well enough before you went off on him. Getting quoted 2 weeks and waiting 3 months (for service that wasn't even done in the end) isn't acceptable in my book.
FASTBACKDON

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1955ccbug wrote:
bugracer99 wrote:
I may be wrong but the best way to resolve any problem with someone doesn't include badmouthing them all over the net in my book.

I've known Nathan for many years, and I know that he and Darren have been good acquaintances for some time now....till now I guess. I have to be honest, just like everything, theres gonna be some good experiances and some bad. I have heard of this kind of thing happening before with him. Sounds like really bad communication on Darrens part.

And obviously you two ^^^ didn't read Nathans post well enough before you went off on him. Getting quoted 2 weeks and waiting 3 months (for service that wasn't even done in the end) isn't acceptable in my book.

Obviously you did not read his either. he quoted he Knew Darren was busy BUT wont kick him some slack. I do agree communication is key but as you said they have worked together before. so why now slam him? My Point is High end parts for ANY car take time. I read between the lines if Darren wont do the guys heads then there is something deeper that just the two know about. FYI I am not taking sides but 3 months would be a walk in the park it is race season.

(21:10:42) Jennepher: Russell is our proudest achievment. I feel like Samba created him from a little nugget of crap into a full blown adult.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
1955ccbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FASTBACKDON wrote:
1955ccbug wrote:
bugracer99 wrote:

Obviously you did not read his either. he quoted he Knew Darren was busy BUT wont kick him some slack. I do agree communication is key but as you said they have worked together before. so why now slam him? My Point is High end parts for ANY car take time. I read between the lines if Darren wont do the guys heads then there is something deeper that just the two know about. FYI I am not taking sides but 3 months would be a walk in the park it is race season.

Oh no, you're totaly right, 3 months for high quality work is totaly acceptable. But did Nathan recieve high quality work? No. He waited 3 months for a service that was never performed. And all could have been avoided if there was some comunication on Darrens part as far as inspecting the heads and letting him know that he would not work on them in the first place. In the end he waited 3 months for turned down Mahle P's and C's, and an oil pump.
Stripped66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have only had excellent customer service from Darren, time and time again, and would recommend his work to anybody.

However, I'm not dismissing Nathan's claim. Maybe Darren was pissed off from cutting my cylinders late last week ( Very Happy it was a PITA job) and Nathan pushed him over the edge. Maybe other problems were mounting from other customers and Darren just snapped. He's pretty slammed with work all of the time, so I certainly don't discount the timeline. When he did my heads, they took a few months longer than initially quoted. When Rocky Jennings did my case, it took a few months longer than quoted. Requesting work in the spring, when head shops are slammed getting work done for drag racers, is really going to draw out the wait time. That's something I've come to expect of the industry, not just any one vendor in particular. One thing I've made clear to both Darren and Rocky is that I realize the schedule they are under and the project is going to get done WHEN it gets done...if I e-mail or call, I'm not trying to rush them, I simply want an update on the project.

On another note, I had a poor transaction with another reputable VW vendor. Everything was fine until I made plans to drop into SoCal and pick-up my product...then I started getting the run-around during a day's worth of phone-tag. The end result: I wasted a trip to SoCal, didn't get what I came for, didn't get an explanation why my time was wasted, and I abandoned the project right there leaving the vendor to deal with any part of the project he (claimed to) finish. It sucked and I felt like Milo does right now; I took my business elsewhere. However, hundreds of people have had a great experience with this vendor and he has been known to bend over backwards to help people out, contribute to worthwhile projects, and travel hundreds of miles to help somebody in a pinch. It just didn't happen to me. I'm not going to name the vendor because, at this point, what happened to me was probably an exception. It happens and nobody's perfect.

So, Milo...I'm sorry it happened to you. In my experience (and many others'), it's not in Darren's character...but sometimes sh!t happens.

I don't think electrickery works that way
FASTBACKDON

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stripped66 wrote:
I have only had excellent customer service from Darren, time and time again, and would recommend his work to anybody.

However, I'm not dismissing Nathan's claim. Maybe Darren was pissed off from cutting my cylinders late last week ( Very Happy it was a PITA job) and Nathan pushed him over the edge. Maybe other problems were mounting from other customers and Darren just snapped. He's pretty slammed with work all of the time, so I certainly don't discount the timeline. When he did my heads, they took a few months longer than initially quoted. When Rocky Jennings did my case, it took a few months longer than quoted. Requesting work in the spring, when head shops are slammed getting work done for drag racers, is really going to draw out the wait time. That's something I've come to expect of the industry, not just any one vendor in particular. One thing I've made clear to both Darren and Rocky is that I realize the schedule they are under and the project is going to get done WHEN it gets done...if I e-mail or call, I'm not trying to rush them, I simply want an update on the project.

On another note, I had a poor transaction with another reputable VW vendor. Everything was fine until I made plans to drop into SoCal and pick-up my product...then I started getting the run-around during a day's worth of phone-tag. The end result: I wasted a trip to SoCal, didn't get what I came for, didn't get an explanation why my time was wasted, and I abandoned the project right there leaving the vendor to deal with any part of the project he (claimed to) finish. It sucked and I felt like Milo does right now; I took my business elsewhere. However, hundreds of people have had a great experience with this vendor and he has been known to bend over backwards to help people out, contribute to worthwhile projects, and travel hundreds of miles to help somebody in a pinch. It just didn't happen to me. I'm not going to name the vendor because, at this point, what happened to me was probably an exception. It happens and nobody's perfect.

So, Milo...I'm sorry it happened to you. In my experience (and many others'), it's not in Darren's character...but sometimes sh!t happens.

VERY WELL PUT

1955ccbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^ I agree.
themilo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe,
Thanks for standing up for me. Like I posted on the CLF :

Yeah, I guess $hit happens you deal with it and move on. Wish I hadn't been the victim of Darren's bad day but what do you do right? Well, thanks for everybody's replies I am just glad that I got my experience out in the open. Even if it just saves one person from the weekend I had it's worth it.

Thanks again,
Nathan

P.S.
I never wanted to post all over the forums bugracer99 but I guess I didn't want to see a "nobody" like you and me get walked all over just because some big bad head porter is on a power trip. Sorry for trying to stand up for the little guy I guess my money is not as good as a "Somebody's". And seriously please take the time to read the post before calling me impatient.

- Oh and on the Honda thing there buddy. I have daily driven my 1965 2276 powered bug from almost 10 years now. In Washington, with NO HEAT don't ever start up on me about dedication to the cause. I have ported heads, built engines, helped people prep there cars for free just so they could have a faster engine, a reliable engine, a nice looking car. Who are you to judge..
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Classifieds Feedback
CJG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget 2 sides to every story. Rolling Eyes
ridinthedune
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

guess I should post.... Sad

Let me start by saying that I'm VERY happy with my engine/heads, I'm running the drd L6's
Though, I think Tim being a "go between" made my waiting easier.
My heads came in at double the time I was told by darren and when they got here they were not the large oval ports I thought I was getting, instead they were a new design....I'm sure the new design is probably better, just making a point that I was never told I was getting something different than what we had talked about and was pretty freaked out when I saw them (happy to get them, just making a point on nates behalf about communication).
My manifolds were port matched also and when they welded them, they burned through to the flange (bubble/raised section on mateing surface) that I didn't noticed during first install so after haveing a vacuum leak had to take the carbs back off and mill it down flush again.

Everytime I talked with darren, he was more than happy to answer any questions I had and would talk to me for an hour if needed...he was very helpfull and curtious evertime we talked and I could not be happier with the final product.
I did not want to post this information but I see nate gettting a lot of crap about it and thought I should post my experience also....
Again, I got exactly what I wanted out of my engine combo., just making a point about comunication.
Olymale
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a business man I know that you cannot always please everyone but, when you are a business man you too have to be able to admit if there was something more you could have done to make a situation better Pride is not all that it is made out to be, but reputation is. Just my $.02.
SBS #76

58 ragtop bug
60 sc
65 splitty
67 Square Back
85 911 Carrera
http://community.webshots.com/user/olymale
FASTBACKDON

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sey someone please pm me drd'd web link. I am looking for good street High Performance heads for my 1914. PLEASE

Mad Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is VERY obvious that Darren works on the his Buddy list first, my heads were
sitting in his shop since last September. New 044's that needed an L5 porting.
I have read all about you guys sending your stuff to him and getting fantastic
service, several that have commented here had their heads done while mine
sat on his shelf. About every 2 months I would ask him if he had gotten around
to my heads yet and always heard some lame excuse and a promises that I
would get them in 2 / 3 weeks. Well at the end of May I finally got my heads
back UN-TOUCHED!! After 9 months he just didn't have time for the little guy.
A good job is a job that actually gets done. I am just a hobbyist, not a big time
shop or racer but I do spend $15 - 20K a year on my VW's. I would never
recommend DRD again.
FASTBACKDON

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mad Manx wrote:
It is VERY obvious that Darren works on the his Buddy list first, my heads were
sitting in his shop since last September. New 044's that needed an L5 porting.
I have read all about you guys sending your stuff to him and getting fantastic
service, several that have commented here had their heads done while mine
sat on his shelf. About every 2 months I would ask him if he had gotten around
to my heads yet and always heard some lame excuse and a promises that I
would get them in 2 / 3 weeks. Well at the end of May I finally got my heads
back UN-TOUCHED!! After 9 months he just didn't have time for the little guy.
A good job is a job that actually gets done. I am just a hobbyist, not a big time
shop or racer but I do spend $15 - 20K a year on my VW's. I would never
recommend DRD again.
wow bro thanks for the warning. See you next club meet. Dennis I have seen your motors and respect your work I will avoid DRD.

beetleboy58
Samba Conquestador

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sent a pair of almost new heads to darren to get the L3 treatment after talking to him about my bus engine combo. He was very helpful on the phone,albeit a bit rushing(must have been a busy day,and can only imagine the calls these guys get from all the numbnuts around.)Any way,i was told about three weeks ,which i thought was more than fair.Three weeks later,i sent an e-mail to kind of check on things.I was told that my heads had some cracks and he really didnt feel right putting the money/time into them.I was thinking to myself,gee,it would have been nice to know,but anyway i ended up ordering a brand new set of L3 heads.I was told three weeks again,and they arrived right on time,and they are beautiful.

The moral of the story is that most of these vendor problems a communication failure,and anyone that wants to make it in this business needs to not have a bad day-EVER -at least not let anyone know.Darren does VERY high quality work,which no one on this forum can deny.If he (or anybody)wants to keep a good rep going,the way they handle the customer will make or break that.One loudmouth can really screw things up in a hurry.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Buyer and Seller Feedback All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 1 of 10

Jump to: