Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Freeway Flyer tranny in a 181
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
klokard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 6:48 pm    Post subject: Freeway Flyer tranny in a 181 Reply with quote

I am suprised I don't read more posts about 181 owners installing Freeway Flyer trannies. I drive my car daily since I am in SoCal and would like to reduce engine RPM's while cruisin the FWY. Has anyone dropped in a Freeway Flyer? Feedback? How about just changing out the R&P? I have a '74 that is bone stock including wheel size. Any and all opinions are appreciated. Thanks.
uberautowerks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A freeway flyer in our Things is super simple, any (I think) late model, single diff-cover beetle trans will have the "free flyer" gears. You'll need the Thing nose cone and CV flanges.
Oh yeah, I've put one in and it's awesome! But use stock-ish tires.
--- The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at and repair.
- Douglas Adams -
---
'74 Thing (White)
'71 Single cab (White too)
'70 Weekender (White three)
'05 Evolution VIII (White also!!!)
'68 F-250 (White over black)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MedicTed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A freeway flyer trans indicates that 4th gear has been changed to a higher ratio (lower number) gear. The problem with them is that it creates a larger difference between 3rd and 4th gears and it will not pull hills in 4th as well as stock. I would swap to a standard T1 trans or a higher ring gear. Remember that the Things were designed for military use. And as such, are overall geared lower for more umph (highly technical term, I know).
caspar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have a freeway flyer in my '73. i have an 1776 motor. so far its working out great. but i would put bigger than stock engine with a freeway flyer.

email me for any more info r post
[email protected]
caspar
Towel Rail
Horizontally Opposed

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a good reason Thing drivers with stock engines don't install freeway flyers! Laughing

Mine came to me with a Karmann Ghia transmission installed. With a 3.88 R&P, it's geared "up" enough to go fast, but the engine struggles with the taller gears. End result -- acceleration is terrible, and I never know when I'm going to get squished by a semi. Shocked

049 > 070 > 053 > 009
uberautowerks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your paying for a freeway flyer that only has forth changed your getting ripped. A freeway flyer should be all the late model gears, 1st to 4th and the R&P, in an earlier housing.
And why would a stock motor with a late bug trans perform any different in a Thing or a bug. Given that both have stock tires. If anything the Thing with 14" wheels should have a bit shorter gear with it's slightly smaller OD tire. Thus giving it a bit more RPM's per MPH.
--- The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at and repair.
- Douglas Adams -
---
'74 Thing (White)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Towel Rail
Horizontally Opposed

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

uberautowerks wrote:
And why would a stock motor with a late bug trans perform any different in a Thing or a bug. Given that both have stock tires.

Acceleration suffers when the trans is geared too high. Top speed won't change, but you reach it quicker with short gears/tires.

Quote:
If anything the Thing with 14" wheels should have a bit shorter gear with it's slightly smaller OD tire. Thus giving it a bit more RPM's per MPH.

If we're talking stock tires:

165R15 = 25.4"
185R14 = 25.65"

No real difference there.

049 > 070 > 053 > 009
kevin11
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've swapped out my stock thing tranny with a s/sideplate tranny from a 73 t-1.. no problems and works fine. Works great in the grass also,when need be.Stock 1600 .Ther are several threads on this subject..all interesting.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=185622
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Captain Spalding
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

uberautowerks wrote:
If your paying for a freeway flyer that only has forth changed your getting ripped. A freeway flyer should be all the late model gears, 1st to 4th and the R&P, in an earlier housing.

Interesting. I'd never heard that before.
uberautowerks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Spalding,
That's the way my trans builder does 'um. Others may vary.
- Douglas Adams -
---
'74 Thing (White)
7thing3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a standard late model bug in mine powered by a 1915 motor. I like the combination. Gas mileage isn't too good but I suspect that is the result of the motor and driving 70 mph in a brick.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nerf965
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the engine have to be removed to replace the trans. the PO installed freeway flyer. My car has no speed till up to top speed. lucky the car came with the og trans too, that will be going in this weekend.
Ian Epperson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nerf965 wrote:
Does the engine have to be removed to replace the trans?

Yes.

Also the rear axles, which require a special tool to unbolt the CV joints.

Also the rear seat so you can get to the shift coupling.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Spalding wrote:
uberautowerks wrote:

Interesting. I'd never heard that before.

You never heard that because it is not correct.

Facts:

An AV code "Thing" trans has:
3.78 1st (9 tooth splined mainshaft)
2.06 2nd
1.26 3rd
.93 4th
With a 4.12 R&P in a SSC case

A Late Beetle SSC trans with an AT code has:
3.78 1st (9 tooth splined mainshaft)
2.06 2nd
1.26 3rd
.93 4th
With a 3.88 R&P

Thus, the only difference in gearing is the R&P. ALL the forward gears are IDENTICAL.
The "housing" refered to is the main trans case. All 73-74 Things came with the superior single side cover trans case with the stronger side cover. Why would anyone want to downgrade their case to the earlier weaker case?

The best FF for a Thing that has a slightly bigger engine would be to only change 4th gear. And that should be a .89 002 Bus gear that fits just like stock. This leaves you with your same lower final drive in 1st gear for any off road use. If you stick in a Bug AT trans with it's 3.88 R&P, you will be raising the final drive ratio of all the gears. Not good for off road.
If you were on a really tight budget, you can get a trans with this gearing stock. Look for a double side cover Beetle trans with an AH code. Then swap your Thing flanges onto it. You will probably have to change the nose cone too.

uberautowerks wrote:
"And why would a stock motor with a late bug trans perform any different in a Thing or a bug. Given that both have stock tires. "

A Bug is a much better aerodynamic shape than a brick. A Thing needs lower gearing on the freeway because it is more difficult to push through the air.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Captain Spalding
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce wrote:
You never heard that because it is not correct . . . The best FF for a Thing that has a slightly bigger engine would be to only change 4th gear. And that should be a .89 002 Bus gear that fits just like stock. This leaves you with your same lower final drive in 1st gear for any off road use.

When I said I'd never heard that before, it was my perhaps too gentle way of dissenting. Wink My tranny is set up as you described - and that's how I've always heard a FF described.

Quote:
A Bug is a much better aerodynamic shape than a brick. A Thing needs lower gearing on the freeway because it is more difficult to push through the air.

Not so much disagreeing as commenting here: Back in my Industrial Design school days I took a course in automotive aerodynamics. 80 percent or more of aerodynamic efficiency is a function of the vehicle's frontal area, whether it's a brick, a wedge or whatever. Changes in the shape of the car have less effect than one might think. I'm not saying that you're wrong in your comparison of a 181 and a Bug - there are lots of other factors that make a huge difference, like running with no side curtains, or the top down, or that there's more air under the Thing than a Bug. I'm only pointing out that other variables being equal, a rounded smooth car is not much more efficient than a brick. Smile
Towel Rail
Horizontally Opposed

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, *something* slows the Thing down. A 1973 Thing has a top speed of 68 MPH, while a 1973 Super Beetle (with the same exact engine) has a top speed of 81 MPH! They weigh *exactly* the same, BTW... Wink

049 > 070 > 053 > 009
Ian Epperson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Towel Rail wrote:
Well, *something* slows the Thing down. A 1973 Thing has a top speed of 68 MPH, while a 1973 Super Beetle (with the same exact engine) has a top speed of 81 MPH! They weigh *exactly* the same, BTW... Wink

Bruce wrote:
An AV code "Thing" trans has ... a 4.12 R&P
A Late Beetle SSC trans with an AT code has ... a 3.88 R&P

Thus, the only difference in gearing is the R&P.

3.88 is 94% of 4.12
68mph is 84% of 81mph

That makes for a chunk of the difference.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mstatedog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm running a 1776 with a late model type 1 tranny and love it. I can cruise at 70mph on the highway. Be sure to get a Gene Berg Temp. dipstick for about 10 clams...it will blink your oil light when temps get to high... and you can slow back until it goes off. It will allow your normal oil sensor to operate as usual.

dog
Towel Rail
Horizontally Opposed

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian Epperson wrote:
Towel Rail wrote:

Bruce wrote:
An AV code "Thing" trans has ... a 4.12 R&P
A Late Beetle SSC trans with an AT code has ... a 3.88 R&P

Thus, the only difference in gearing is the R&P.

3.88 is 94% of 4.12
68mph is 84% of 81mph

That makes for a chunk of the difference.

The Thing's top speed is reached well below peak RPM, though. According to Road & Track, the top speed (they got 73 MPH) was reached at 3850 RPM, while in the lower gears, the engine breathed all the way to 4700 RPM. The only way for gearing to limit the top speed would be to reach 4700 in the final gear, which it doesn't.

049 > 070 > 053 > 009
Al Capulco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to the owners manual the unladen weight of a '73 Thing is 1984 lbs. A super beetle unladen weight is 2072 lbs., a standard beetle is 1973 lbs and the converible is 2127lbs. So a Thing weights less than a super beetle and more than a standard beetle, but not by much.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: