Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Can you buy a stock new front beam
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jashv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:24 am    Post subject: Can you buy a stock new front beam Reply with quote

Before you ask yes I used the search, I don't want a narrowed beam, I'd like to have my car sit almost stock height. Mine's pretty rusted, the bump stops are gone, there are a few rust holes forming, when you jack the car up you can shake the hell out of the wheels. Ball joints are shot, but at the top of the beam it moves too, I think it's just shot.

I either need:

a. a new one, can you find these anymore?
b. a used one that's still in good shape.

I believe this morning I found about 6 here in the classifieds, what do you guys suggest? This is for a 71 square - thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
blankmange
Type 3 Darksider

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:36 am    Post subject: Re: Can you buy a stock new front beam Reply with quote

jashv wrote:
Before you ask yes I used the search, I don't want a narrowed beam, I'd like to have my car sit almost stock height. Mine's pretty rusted, the bump stops are gone, there are a few rust holes forming, when you jack the car up you can shake the hell out of the wheels. Ball joints are shot, but at the top of the beam it moves too, I think it's just shot.

I either need:

a. a new one, can you find these anymore?
b. a used one that's still in good shape.

I believe this morning I found about 6 here in the classifieds, what do you guys suggest? This is for a 71 square - thanks

my suggestion -- have Martin at the DDB rebuild one for you -- as good as new and ready to install...

Certified DHS Technician

Samba Member # 24517
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jashv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be cool if I could save the one that's on the car, would you know a ballpark cost on that?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
blankmange
Type 3 Darksider

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jashv wrote:
That would be cool if I could save the one that's on the car, would you know a ballpark cost on that?

I bought one outright from Martin -- new ball joints, tie rod ends, steering damper, etc, bearings & full of grease

$300 plus shipping....

Certified DHS Technician

Samba Member # 24517
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jashv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks blankmange, I've fired off an email to them, I bought their door seals several months back and was very pleased with them.
sharkskinman
Lateral Lunatic

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

but it comes down to do you have and want the time and money to rebuild the original one

Never forgive the rat in me but
i would rather rebuild the Great Original
and even with used parts

buy new ... have new...
i try to stay away from new "and improved"
parts or cars
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
blankmange
Type 3 Darksider

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sharkskinman wrote:

buy new ... have new...
i try to stay away from new "and improved"
parts or cars

nothing new or improved here; just a rebuilt T3 beam, done by the T3 masters themselves....

Certified DHS Technician

Samba Member # 24517
electricmonk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that all it cost?. I was thinking in the thousands of dollars with bearings and seals and everything. You guys frightened the hell out of we with "oh that's no longer available, you have to go NOS"
blankmange
Type 3 Darksider

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

electricmonk wrote:
Is that all it cost?. I was thinking in the thousands of dollars with bearings and seals and everything. You guys frightened the hell out of we with "oh that's no longer available, you have to go NOS"

talk to Martin...

Certified DHS Technician

Samba Member # 24517
jashv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sent them an email the other day, it's $300. I about pooped my type 3 pj's, that's the same price as an aftermarket T1 beam. Once I get some other issues with the motor dealt with I'm going to order one.
jashv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

now if someone only made a 71 ign switch Wink
Notched
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jashv wrote:
now if someone only made a 71 ign switch Wink

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=350418

Current stock: '57 Panel Bus, '63 Rat Notch, '64 Baja, '66 Variant, '67 Convertible Ghia, '68 Squareback, '69 Squareback, '69 Fastback

Southern Oregon VW Club -- http://www.sovw.org

Oregon VW Forum -- http://www.oregonvw.org
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
73notch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how does he rebuild them if parts are NLA?
jashv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But that just says late ign key, I've read on this forum many times that 71 is a one year only.
blankmange
Type 3 Darksider

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jashv wrote:
But that just says late ign key, I've read on this forum many times that 71 is a one year only.

I know the turn sginal mechanism is, but I didn't think the ignition key/mechanism was a single year only...

Certified DHS Technician

Samba Member # 24517
notchback
Insensitive Jerk

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blankmange wrote:
jashv wrote:

I know the turn sginal mechanism is, but I didn't think the ignition key/mechanism was a single year only...
my parts books lists part number 111 905 851 L as "Steering lock without ignition starter switch and without lock cylinder from ch no 311 2000 001 for the body (number 24 in picture) (the 111 part number is what the book says), 111 905 855 A as "Lock cylinder with keys - ignition starter witch (MM profile) from Ch No. 311 2000 001" for the key switch (number 20 in picture) and 311 905 865 B as "ignition starter switch with buzzer contact from Ch No 311 2000 001 to 311 2500 000 for the electrical portion (number 21 in picture). That looks like it is the only '71 only part.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

FU#3
blankmange
Type 3 Darksider

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

notchback wrote:
blankmange wrote:
jashv wrote:

my parts books lists part number 111 905 851 L as "Steering lock without ignition starter switch and without lock cylinder from ch no 311 2000 001 for the body (number 24 in picture) (the 111 part number is what the book says), 111 905 855 A as "Lock cylinder with keys - ignition starter witch (MM profile) from Ch No. 311 2000 001" for the key switch (number 20 in picture) and 311 905 865 B as "ignition starter switch with buzzer contact from Ch No 311 2000 001 to 311 2500 000 for the electrical portion (number 21 in picture). That looks like it is the only '71 only part.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

learning new stuff everyday -- today's a good day then....

Certified DHS Technician

Samba Member # 24517
clyde68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So if someone had all the parts shown in the diagram above including the key what would it be worth.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

clyde68 wrote:
So if someone had all the parts shown in the diagram above including the key what would it be worth.

I don't know. I've got that, plus a pair of matching door handles and a gate lock. All 1 key. But, I'm hanging on to it all, as I have several type 3s, and you never know what you might need in a few years. Rolling Eyes It probably doesn't help that my 65 Notch uses a 71 only ignition switch. Shocked
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
ataraxia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

clyde68 wrote:

Just for a point of reference: A NOS column can typically be had for around $300. That's 'plug and play'...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: