Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My engine rotates but won't start
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Big Moe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 2:20 pm    Post subject: My engine rotates but won't start Reply with quote

I have a 1970 Standard Bug. I replace the 1600cc D/P for a 1641cc D/P I bgot from ebay. I have a new coil, and 34pict-3 Carb. When I first got it in, everything was just fine. Then I drove it 15 miles on the highway, and when I tried to start it again it died on me. I tought it was the timing, but the timing was just fine.Then Ater messing with it for a while I got it to turn on again. It felt likr if the engine was not getting enough gas. Because when it died on me the first time it will idle kinda funny, and when I put it in first, it will pull back, and then die. So I decided to take the car home and 7 miles later it died again. Again I checked the timing and it was just fine. It did the same thing again. First it died, and then when I got to turn it on again it will idle but as soon as I put it in first gear, it will die on me. The carb is brand new andeverything was fine with it, i don't know what to do. The problem is that this is my daily driver and now i don't have a ride to go to work. this never happen to me before with the other engine.........
bignick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Air
Fuel
Spark

you gotta have ALL three

Check for air
Pretty good chance you're getting air unless there's something major blocking it up...

Check the Fuel
take the air cleaner off and look down in there to see if gas is getting into the carb (you should be able to smell it.)

if yes- check for spark. if not- find out why

Check for spark
take that center wire off the dizzy and have someone turn it over while holding it 1/4 inch away from the block and see if it sparks.

If yes, then I dont know whats up, if not- Check the points

Check the points
Take the dizzy cap off and the rotor and cover plate off and look down there at the points. Again have a friend turn it over and check to see if they open and close. If they dont, then you need to gap them.

Other than that, i dont know, but hopefully someone else can chip in. Thats the beauty of a forum...

Bignick
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mtalley69type1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fuel filter clogged, potentially? This sounds like an intermittant fuel starvation problem that could be caused by a pretty dirty filter.
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who made this engine?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bignick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To follow up on the fuel filter, check to see if it contains rust. You can also unscrew the drain plug on the carb's bowl and catch the contents to see if they contain rusty particles. I had that problem with my '69 because of a rusty gas tank. Had the tank coated and the bowl cleaned and she's in business. Good luck
Mr. Loaf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 4:33 pm    Post subject: Engine Reply with quote

Your problem sounds like it may be fuel related. When you installed the new carb did you try to adjust it? If you decide to adjust it find a book or know what you are doing before you add to the problem. Is your fuel filter partially plugged? As far as timing, you say it is okay every time that you check it? Are you checking for proper advance or even checking to see if the distributor does advance? Use your timing gun to check that. And, make sure that one of your plug wires did not come off of a plug. You may be running on three cylinders. If you approach this systematically, air, spark, fuel as stated earlier, you should be able to figure it out. Good luck and let us know!
Big Moe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an electronic ignition, so I guess the points are taken care off. I also have a brand new gas tank, and the fuel lines atr also new. I guess I will be checking on the 2 fuel filters that I have just in case. I have the one that goes inside the tanck and an exterior one right outside of it. I checked the spark plugs gap, and it was just fine. I also checked if there was spark coming out of the middle wire from the dizzy, and yes thre was. I will check tomorrow on the carb, electric fuel pum, and filters. I have to go to sleep already since I have to catch the bus to go to work. Oh, and by the way I bought the engine from "West Coast Core", and they are from Lancaster, CA (USA). They had a pretty good rating in Ebay of 99+. I really apreciate y'all guys help, and I will let y'all know tomorrow what I find out.
nc68bugman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have the right coil for the module? I.E. a coil with at least 3.6 ohms of resistance? I had this problem with a hotspark module, fire up great run 'til fully warmed up then would develope a miss and get progressively worse 'til hardly run at all! Checked coil, maybe 3.4! Thought maybe marginal? Put in 1.5 ohm ballast resistor, seemed to help, then different problem, warmed up, then not enough spark! Resistor didn't allow enough for decent spark and would run rough in hot weather! Bypass on side of road the resistor, ran better instantly! For a few miles, then module started to overheat again! That's it! Screw it! Tossed hotspark, went back to compufire I had been running! No problems since What a pain! Scott
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Big Moe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What module are you talking about?And how can I check if I have the right coil? I remember I bought the one I have at Autozone. I will be buying a BOSH here pretty soon. Will that make a difference? because yeah, it seems like this just happens when my eng. warms up. But at the same time why will it pull back so hard and nasty like that for?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: