Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 170, 171, 172 ... 233, 234, 235  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure wouldn't recommend re-using the old filter. I would only do that if I had failed to buy one and already drained the oil. But Yeah, Guess on those type 4's It good to fill that filter, I would fill it just like I do my coffee cup!

On my Type 1, I don't worry about it as I have the filter on it's side but the oil pump on it does push that air through the engine first start after changing it. Probably more a problem on Hydraulic lifter engines than with solid lifters.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a lot of ways that overzealous people can do wrong when changing the oil. A typical goof up is to let the oil drain for several hours or even overnight and then prefill the filter so what you will get is an oil pump that may have lost its prime trying to force air/oil through a filter media saturated with cold oil. One would be way better off to get the drain plug back in within five minutes and to leave the filter dry.

Prefilling the filter also increases the chance of getting contaminates into the "clean" side of the filter and thus damaging the bearings.
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I have done that, drain the oil over night. Makes since it would drain the oil pump! (Probably not the best thing though!) Looks like all the Air Cooled oil systems have a vent or vents at the end where most of the air goes. I think my type 1 full flow probably drains the filter every stop when it's hot!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Juanito84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you think of my dumb idea?

I was thinking of putting a hose on the oil inlet tube (oil change plate still off) and feeding oil into the engine that way, maybe with a long hose and gravety. Then after some oil dribbles out then installing the screen and plate and filling it up to the full line on the dip stick.

This is probably overkill for a normal oil change but maybe a good idea for a new engine or engine that hasn't been ran in a while. Question
secretsubmariner
Champagne Wrangler

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies, dudes! (I would never re-use an oil filter, I was raised better than that)

One other question while I'm here:

-Bentley says the late type 4 requires 3.5 liters of oil.

-I filled my NEW oil filter

-I added about 3.5 liters of oil.

Did I overfill the engine? [about 3.5 liters + oil in the oil filter]

When I checked my dipstick, it was just at the upper fill line on the stick. Should I drain like, half of a liter from the engine?

My hydro's pumped up very nicely, btw Cool
1970 Auto Fastback FI
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No it's fine! The fill line is a good target, Doesn't have to be exact. To get a good reading check the oil level with the Bus parked on the level overnight after being parked hot. It will read a little over full if you have put extra oil in it. But one filter full of oil is not enough over to mater. Probably will be about 1/16" to 1/8" over the full mark on the dip stick. That's ok won't hurt but I would not want it 1/4" over which could effect the gas milage and risk oil getting on things when it starts to blow out where ever it can at high rpm.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

secretsubmariner wrote:
Did I overfill the engine? [about 3.5 liters + oil in the oil filter]

I run both my Type 1 and Type 2 engines a quart over the full mark and have for decades. No excess oil usage, good oil temps, good gas mileage, and long engine life. The sump holds a full extra quart when the engine is drained down over night, so once the engine is running and a half quart of oil is splashing around the engine there is room to spare in the sump.
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would imagine the 69mm stroke engines and the 66mm stroke engines are a little more forgiving on blowing oil out! When I went to 74mm on the stroke of my type 1 I noticed it is a lot more sensitive to being overfilled. But yeah, Keeping your RPM down below 4400 or so your going to be able to over fill them a little.
Juanito84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I first got my Bug oil was pouring all over as I drove it home. So I pulled over and checked the dip stick. The level was way above the top mark!
secretsubmariner
Champagne Wrangler

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your replies everyone! My mind is now at ease over the oil. Smile
1970 Auto Fastback FI
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
OzzyTR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Link

on this video, the guy used Rotella 15w-40 oil.
I created another topic but it was locked, no problem.
the users answered and suggested I can use diesel oil in our car.
but Rotella is not available where I live, but other shell products are available.
We have Shell Rimula R6M for heavy duty vehicles. is it the same as Rotella?

I use Shell Helix HX3 20W-50 on my car. It goes between -20 and +30c degrees.
thanks for answers.
BenJAMin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rimula is a similar formula and will be fine.
Juanito84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan Ruddock wrote:
For your app I would run 0w-30 German castrol. Can be had from auto zone on sale for about $32 for 5 qts and a filter. Dan

Looks like German Castrol has been "upgraded" to German Edge, a ILSAC GF-5/API SN oil with 600 to 800PPM ZDDP (or phosphate?). Crying or Very sad not good. And just when I thought I had found what I'm looking for. Confused
Juanito84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aha! I found this Motul X-lite stuff. 0W-30, API SL. Sounds good?

https://www.motul.com/us/en-US/products/oils-lubri...sity%5D=43
Vito85
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so...... is the shell rotella oil 15/40w.... is the best oil that we can use ???

(the more I read more confuse on these 171 pages ) sorry

I have a 1970 vw bug type 1 irs

Sincerely
Max Welton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are confused because you've read too many (conflicting) opinions, asking for even more opinions may not be very useful to you. Wink

Max
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But isn't that what this whole 171 pages is about ? conflicting confusing opinions ?
Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Juanito84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

60ragtop wrote:
But isn't that what this whole 171 pages is about ? conflicting confusing opinions ?

A lot of the "conflicting" opinions are just two guys trying to say the same thing but not understanding each other.

Basically:
1 Use engine oil. Crisco won't cut it.
2 Make sure it has enough ZDDP for you application (more than 800ppm phosphorus for a well built stock engine. The higher the performance the more you need.) So don't use "energy conserving" oil nor 10W-30 and thinner grades of ILSAC GF-5/API SN type oil. For 10W-30 and thinner use something else like ILSAC GF-3/API SL oil, commonly called "high mileage" oil.
3 For choosing your grade you can use VW's late 1970's list. Or chose your "W" number by how cold it gets where you live (i.e. 10W for above 0º F, 5W for below 0º F and 0W for way below 0º F). Chose your non-W number by your oil pressure. Shoot for around 10psi per 1000RPM. If you have low oil pressure use a higher grade. There's nothing wrong with using a multi-grade oil.
4 Group 3 synthetics are a bit better than conventional oils, although it is still petroleum. But group 4, a true synthetic, is better than 3. And group 5 is better than 4.
5 No need to go to extreems like non-detergent oils, freeking high levels of ZDDP, grades like 0W-60, etc. But in the end do whatever you want. It's your engine.
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vito85 wrote:
so...... is the shell rotella oil 15/40w.... is the best oil that we can use ???

Sincerely

NO.

Here in the United States the Federal Government changed the regulations for diesel motor oils and should no longer be used in gasoline engines. In other countries with different regulations it may still be safe to use.

My opinion is to use Valvoline VR-1 racing oil. Napa and O'Reilly's sell it.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:
Vito85 wrote:

Sincerely

NO.

Here in the United States the Federal Government changed the regulations for diesel motor oils and should no longer be used in gasoline engines. In other countries with different regulations it may still be safe to use.

My opinion is to use Valvoline VR-1 racing oil. Napa and O'Reilly's sell it.

I have heard this over and over for many years, but as far as I know every Diesel rated oil that I regularly run into carries an S rating as well as a C rating.. If you have proof to back up your statement please post a link to it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 170, 171, 172 ... 233, 234, 235  Next
Jump to:
Page 171 of 235

Jump to: