Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 203, 204, 205 ... 233, 234, 235  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
JKLNHYD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

So 203 pages of bs proves that you can run any oil that you choose in your Bug with little or zero difference, because every oil stated has been run for 30+ years by at least one of you, your barber, or a blogger.

Hmmm, sounds good to me...
Popcorn
rockerarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

blue65 wrote:
I like to change the oil in my engine every 1000 miles. But do I also have to change and clean the filter and replace my external filter as well (I have an external filter)?

Hi. Check this out. May not be 100% applicable to the samba community but is an interesting read:

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/t...ost4112079
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

If you are a member there remind them the first years of DI VW engines had a factory recognized problem with turning their oil to smoke in as little as 5000 miles. A good friend of mine bought one, and it sure did.
Perhaps.... if you are adding a quart every 3000 miles, then only have to drain it every 30 thousand miles?
From what I've seen the "I add oil so often I don't need to change it" approach does not work well. Usually causes sludge apocalypse.

I think if you add as much oil as the full capacity then it is time to change it. You keep adding and adding and you are concentrating SOMETHING into a witches brew. The auto companies won't tell you this because they don't want to admit this stuff happens.
68IHscout
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 9:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

I have a 74 I use diesel engine oil 15 40 rotella, i just got a 79 with catalytic converter ,what oil is recommended so it doesn't hurt the cat
JKLNHYD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

68IHscout wrote:
I have a 74 I use diesel engine oil 15 40 rotella, i just got a 79 with catalytic converter ,what oil is recommended so it doesn't hurt the cat

Any oil will cause a catalytic converter to stop functioning.

Ideally, no oil should be getting anywhere near the cat. If it does, you need to tear the engine apart and possibly rebuild it.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

68IHscout wrote:

You need to balance the cost of a replacement cat against the cost of a replacement engine. Personally I would want an oil that I was sure would protect the engine internals.
68IHscout
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
68IHscout wrote:

You need to balance the cost of a replacement cat against the cost of a replacement engine. Personally I would want an oil that I was sure would protect the engine internals.
a good conventional oil seems to be the practice for catalytic converter cars ,thanks guys for the reply's..
rockerarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

68IHscout wrote:
Wildthings wrote:
68IHscout wrote:

a good conventional oil seems to be the practice for catalytic converter cars ,thanks guys for the reply's..

Not really. The newest oils are not, and haven't been, spec'd for flat tappet engines for over 10 years. If I had a late converter equipped air-cooled engine I would do one, or both, of these items:
1- Run the 15w-40 robust oil but install a gutted cat housing, or test pipe, til smog check time.
2- Contact a company like Chevron, who uses Boron, in conjunction with the common zinc/phosphorus anti-wear additives and see what their recommendation is for your application. My guess is they will endorse their Chevron Supreme passenger car motor oil.
68IHscout
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

rockerarm wrote:
68IHscout wrote:
Wildthings wrote:
68IHscout wrote:

Not really. The newest oils are not, and haven't been, spec'd for flat tappet engines for over 10 years. If I had a late converter equipped air-cooled engine I would do one, or both, of these items:
1- Run the 15w-40 robust oil but install a gutted cat housing, or test pipe, til smog check time.
2- Contact a company like Chevron, who uses Boron, in conjunction with the common zinc/phosphorus anti-wear additives and see what their recommendation is for your application. My guess is they will endorse their Chevron Supreme passenger car motor oil.
I think I'll get a regular replacement (with no cat) muffler till smog day ,thanks for the advice much apreciated...
gingergypsy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

maybe i am opening a can of worms here but whatever. I just read through the past 30 pages of BS with no answer to my question.

what would be the secondary option after valvoline vr-1 for a 10w-30? i dont want to buy a whole case, because i want to see how my engine reacts to 10w-30. ive been experimenting with a couple different oils.

Currently residing in yosemite valley with Elizabeth, if you are in the park come say hi!
rockerarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

Hi. What is your particular application? The big deciding factor is what cam/lifters your engine has inside and/or what your engine builder has recommended.
If you have an engine with a mild combination, I see no reason why you could not use any of the following lubricants:
1- A traditional diesel, dual rated motor oil, such as Chevron's or Shell's 15w-40, 30, or 40 oil. Very easily bought in SoCal's area.
2- Shell Rotella 10w-30 oil
3- Chevron's Supreme line of oils. They have pioneered the use of Boron as an anti-wear additive when the zinc-phosphorus was being reduced.
These are a few of the best recommendations for an oil that may meet the original engine oil specs of "SL".
I have used the diesel spec motor oils for approx. 10 years, minimum, on my daily driver cars. A very well respected member here has repeatedly stated that, per the federal gov't, diesel motor oils should not be used in gasoline powered engines. Well, sir, nothing has happened and right now Chevron Delo oil is on sale at O'Reilly's for $14/gallon ($3.50 per qt).
Hope this helps, Bill.
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

Federal regulations (EPA bullshit) for all brands and types of oil has changed tremendously the last 3-5 years. It DOSE NOT matter at all what you did 10 or 20 years ago, it only matters what is going on today and the last few years.

Valvoline VR-1 racing oil comes 6 qts in a case
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
rockerarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

Roger that racerdave. The bottom line, as I interpret this is, is would you utilize a dual fleet motor oil for a mild/moderate engine to protect its friction areas, in lieu of any gov't concerns about using a diesel rated oil in a gasoline engine?
Thanks in advance, Bill
gingergypsy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:
Federal regulations (EPA bullshit) for all brands and types of oil has changed tremendously the last 3-5 years. It DOSE NOT matter at all what you did 10 or 20 years ago, it only matters what is going on today and the last few years.

Valvoline VR-1 racing oil comes 6 qts in a case

im aware but im also young and poor and unfortunately for me, if i dont end up needing those extra 3 quarts ill be pissed i spent the money for nothing.

Currently residing in yosemite valley with Elizabeth, if you are in the park come say hi!
gingergypsy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

rockerarm wrote:
Hi. What is your particular application? The big deciding factor is what cam/lifters your engine has inside and/or what your engine builder has recommended.
If you have an engine with a mild combination, I see no reason why you could not use any of the following lubricants:
1- A traditional diesel, dual rated motor oil, such as Chevron's or Shell's 15w-40, 30, or 40 oil. Very easily bought in SoCal's area.
2- Shell Rotella 10w-30 oil
3- Chevron's Supreme line of oils. They have pioneered the use of Boron as an anti-wear additive when the zinc-phosphorus was being reduced.
These are a few of the best recommendations for an oil that may meet the original engine oil specs of "SL".
I have used the diesel spec motor oils for approx. 10 years, minimum, on my daily driver cars. A very well respected member here has repeatedly stated that, per the federal gov't, diesel motor oils should not be used in gasoline powered engines. Well, sir, nothing has happened and right now Chevron Delo oil is on sale at O'Reilly's for $14/gallon ($3.50 per qt).
Hope this helps, Bill.

my beetle is 90% of the time my DD. so thats the application. engine is stock 1600.

Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

I had been running Castrol 5W30 GTX and adding Lucas ZDDP, but recently switched to the Mobil 1 0W40 full synthetic https://mobiloil.com/~/media/amer/us/pvl/files/pdfs/mobil-1-oil-product-specs-guide-2016.pdf It is doing fine, Seems to be a little thicker than the 5W30 not sure if I need the ZDDP with it. Here is the data sheet for it: https://www.mobil.com/English-US/Passenger-Vehicle-Lube/pds/GLXXMobil-1-FS-0W-40 And here it says it has 1100 PPM of ZDDP!

Last edited by Danwvw on Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:28 pm; edited 3 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:

An oil carrying an S rating is still fine to use in a gasoline engine. Nothing has changed in the last 3-5 years or the last twenty to thirty years to make an oil that is rated for a gasoline engine unsuitable for use in a gasoline engine just because it also carries a rating for a Diesel engine.

Quit spreading misinformation.
rockerarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

Danwvw wrote:
I had been running Castrol 5W30 GTX and adding Lucas ZDDP, but recently switched to the Mobil 1 0W40 full synthetic https://mobiloil.com/~/media/amer/us/pvl/files/pdfs/mobil-1-oil-product-specs-guide-2016.pdf It is doing fine, Seems to be a little thicker than the 5W30 not sure if I need the ZDDP with it. Here is the data sheet for it: https://www.mobil.com/English-US/Passenger-Vehicle-Lube/pds/GLXXMobil-1-FS-0W-40

Hi. The fact that you add an additive to the Castrol GTX tells me that you know this oil, GTX, to be a sub-standard oil. Less than 10 years ago, Castrol put out a memo that their own GTX was not suited for flat tappet cam/lifters.
On the other hand, Mobil 0w-40 is one of the only oils rated for the air cooled Porsche cars.

Bill
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

Yeah, I have always ran the castrol oil in the air cooled yes for at least 10 years, When I rebuilt the bus engine in 2013 the crank was pretty messed up with pitting, rust, you name it, it was going on. (no zddp back then was ever added) It looked like it had been through hell. But it still ran perfectly. The lifters were worn but were wearing fine.

Last edited by Danwvw on Wed Dec 14, 2016 6:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
68IHscout
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

gingergypsy wrote:
maybe i am opening a can of worms here but whatever. I just read through the past 30 pages of BS with no answer to my question.

what would be the secondary option after valvoline vr-1 for a 10w-30? i dont want to buy a whole case, because i want to see how my engine reacts to 10w-30. ive been experimenting with a couple different oils.
on my 74 I used vr1 ,but now I run Rotella 15w40 year round here in so cal.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 203, 204, 205 ... 233, 234, 235  Next
Jump to:
Page 204 of 235

Jump to: