Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 169, 170, 171 ... 233, 234, 235  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Juanito84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the answers!
Juanito84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't seem to find any oils with 1000ppm ZDDP or sulfer or phosphate. Any suggestions?

For an example?
Royal Purple HMX
dma1260
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 5:54 pm    Post subject: Redline - ZDDP additive - Thanks ! Reply with quote

Thanks guys for all the info and insight on these additives. Since I just did an oil change over the weekend I will add an Oz. or 2 of the Redline stuff.

Next time I will go with the Valvoline racing oil or one of the other higher grade suggestions. Thanks again !

Tony
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RHough
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Juanito84 wrote:
I can't seem to find any oils with 1000ppm ZDDP or sulfer or phosphate. Any suggestions?

For an example?
Royal Purple HMX

Every reference I can can find says Shell Rotella T is 1200ppm. Did you want less?

R
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Juanito84 wrote:

For an example?
Royal Purple HMX

With a little searching the info is out there for most oils. Here are twelve oils with at least 1000 ppm phosphorous/1100 ppm zinc sold under a single brand name:

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Files/Mobil_1_Product_Guide.pdf
Quokka42
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or if your FLAPS stocks it, there are quite a few from an Aussie company here: http://www.penriteoil.com.au/Product_listing.php
Juanito84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! Very Happy

I'm just looking around, preferably for a group 4 or 5 synthetic that doesn't have more ZDDP than I need. It seems most Amsoil, Redline and such products all have nearly 1,500ppm phosphorous or more. 1,000 or 1,100 should be plenty for my stock motor/putt putt driving style. I don't want to run borderline 800ppm nor 1,500ppm racing oil. Prefferably 0W-30 or 5W-30 for the cold. I think I'm going to get an oil heater since -40º F (-40º C) is a bit harsh on the engine come midwinter.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Juanito84 wrote:
Prefferably 0W-30 or 5W-30 for the cold.

For a 0w30 or 5w30, look for a "high mileage" SL rated oil. They supposedly have a bit higher level of ZDDP than a SM/SN oil, do your research though. You would probably be just as well off to go to a 0w40 or 5w40 oil as they are not required to have lower ZDDP and will cold crank just as easily as the xxw30 oils. For mountain and other very cold climate use, improving the crankcase ventilation system is a plus in my book. I have a simple system on my 1800 Type 4 that forces a small amount of clean air into the crankcase to lower the humidity and thus cut down on condensation, it has worked well for 25 years at this point. Synthetic oils also seem to do better with not being as apt to fill your crankcase with snot during cold weather than dino oils do.

Short trips during cold weather are particularly bad on an engine. I knew people in Fairbanks back in the day who changed their oil every couple of weeks during the winter months to rid their oil of water and other contaminants. Hard to crank an engine at even 0*F with a half frozen watery slurry in the crankcase.
Juanito84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Wildthings!

The Royal Purple HMX oil I mentioned above is supposedly a "high mileage" SL rated oil. Once I have the engine together I'll determine if xW-30 or -40 grade oil will be best depending on my oil pressure and temps. I do do a lot of short trips, hence the idea about the oil heater. And yes, I'm going to improve the crank case ventilation system. I got it machined for a sand seal and am going to inlet filtered air into the heads. I want to use a small 12V metal blower to suck the fumes out of the crank case via the oil filler. I was thinking of using heated air from the air cleaner for the inlets, about 100º F (38º C) except under full thottle, which would induce ambient temperature air.
Dan Ruddock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Juanito84 wrote:
Thanks Wildthings!

The Royal Purple HMX oil I mentioned above is supposedly a "high mileage" SL rated oil. Once I have the engine together I'll determine if xW-30 or -40 grade oil will be best depending on my oil pressure and temps. I do do a lot of short trips, hence the idea about the oil heater. And yes, I'm going to improve the crank case ventilation system. I got it machined for a sand seal and am going to inlet filtered air into the heads. I want to use a small 12V metal blower to suck the fumes out of the crank case via the oil filler. I was thinking of using heated air from the air cleaner for the inlets, about 100º F (38º C) except under full thottle, which would induce ambient temperature air.

For your app I would run 0w-30 German castrol. Can be had from auto zone on sale for about $32 for 5 qts and a filter. Dan
Juanito84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan Ruddock wrote:
For your app I would run 0w-30 German castrol. Can be had from auto zone on sale for about $32 for 5 qts and a filter. Dan

Thanks! I do prefer a 0W for obviuos reasons. I'm trying to do some research on it. Looks like GC is a true synthetic. Good. I cannot seem to find how much ZDDP it has though. Sad
Juanito84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh wait, I just read where GC has SL levels of ZDDP! Very Happy One guy said that after 6,000mi he tested it and still had 990ppm of ZDDP. Sounds good to me ! Very Happy
dirtkeeper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't tell f it's been discussed or this the right place to ask.

What happens when you mix oils?

Let's say I have synthetic oil and I top it off with regular oil?

Using brad pen green oil and top it off with regular other brand oil?

Or throw some 30 weight in an engine that has 10-40 in it?

Sure this should be avoided but probably happens often.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dirtkeeper wrote:
Can't tell f it's been discussed or this the right place to ask.

What happens when you mix oils?

Let's say I have synthetic oil and I top it off with regular oil?

Using brad pen green oil and top it off with regular other brand oil?

Or throw some 30 weight in an engine that has 10-40 in it?

Sure this should be avoided but probably happens often.

The engine keeps running with little, if any, noticeable difference.
Quokka42
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, but you can end up with some awful colours.
Dan Ruddock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Juanito84 wrote:
Oh wait, I just read where GC has SL levels of ZDDP! Very Happy One guy said that after 6,000mi he tested it and still had 990ppm of ZDDP. Sounds good to me ! Very Happy

One thing you should know is GC is it's a thick 30wt and is almost a 40wt but if that is ok with you go for it. Dan
Juanito84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So it's a 35wt! Awesome! Very Happy
secretsubmariner
Champagne Wrangler

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:58 am    Post subject: The proper way to prepare the oil filter for installation Reply with quote

On Ratwell's site he mentions changing the oil prior to doing a valve adjustment. My only question regards one of his steps that I am confused with.

From "http://www.ratwell.com/technical/HydraulicLifters.html"

Quote:
2. Change the Oil filter (do not just dump oil inside the filter)

As I understand it, you fill the oil filter with oil before installing it. Is there some method that does not include just dumping it in there? Is it a slow-pour to avoid air bubbles or something? Also, does it have to be completely and totally full? I did this many moons ago, and I'm fuzzy on proper procedure for the bus. It's a 1978 type 4 engine, hydraulic lifters, if that matters.

thanks!

(I tried a search in this thread but with 152 matches for 'Oil filter', many of them arguing about specs and stuff I thought it'd be better to just ask)
1970 Auto Fastback FI
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Quokka42
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't see it in the link, but I suspect he is referring to the oil remaining in the filter when you remove it, but many do fill the filter prior to fitting it.
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a lot of cheap ass people that dump the old oil out of the filter and reuse the filter again. It boggles my mind how many people only change the filter every 2 oil changes to save $5
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 169, 170, 171 ... 233, 234, 235  Next
Jump to:
Page 170 of 235

Jump to: