Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 202, 203, 204 ... 233, 234, 235  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
63 vwnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

Rotella 15/40 Diesel

you're welcome..

THREAD LOCKED Laughing
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

63 vwnotch wrote:
Rotella 15/40 Diesel

you're welcome..

THREAD LOCKED Laughing

That is a middle of the road oil, neither a 5w20 or a 20w50 and it is okay to run in Diesel engines along with gas ones. You are going to freak out everybody here excepting the 5% that don't feel they need to go to extremes.

Smile
Teeroy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

Not enough zinc in the Rotella anymore
ARR #3
www.autosportsnorthwest.org
63 vwnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
63 vwnotch wrote:
Rotella 15/40 Diesel

you're welcome..

THREAD LOCKED Laughing

That is a middle of the road oil, neither a 5w20 or a 20w50 and it is okay to run in Diesel engines along with gas ones. You are going to freak out everybody here excepting the 5% that don't feel they need to go to extremes.

Smile

middle of the road?? from my testing it's superior, I've run this oil in numerous vehicles over the years in both gas and diesel engines and had black stone labs do testing along the way...

Not enough zinc?? I will have to dig up some of my reports and post them here, I've run a diesel at 8k miles, barely touched the oil, black stone recommended push it further, I've done 10k and 12k runs and the oil still hadn't completely broken down...I used to love mobil 1 but after the testing I've done over the years I use Rotella in everything....
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

63 vwnotch wrote:
Wildthings wrote:

That is a middle of the road oil, neither a 5w20 or a 20w50

middle of the road?? from my testing it's superior

I think it is pretty obvious that I was saying it has a middle of the road viscosity while mentioning nothing about its quality. I would define middle of the road as an oil with a viscosity of/or between a 5w30 and a 15w40.
63 vwnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 10:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
63 vwnotch wrote:
Wildthings wrote:

That is a middle of the road oil, neither a 5w20 or a 20w50

middle of the road?? from my testing it's superior

I think it is pretty obvious that I was saying it has a middle of the road viscosity while mentioning nothing about its quality. I would define middle of the road as an oil with a viscosity of/or between a 5w30 and a 15w40.

no harm... I reread your post and I admit I jumped the gun, oil threads tend to do that to a guy Laughing

seems to me (puts on flame suit) these engines are so forgiving you could run practically anything in them as long as you keep it clean and they'll keep on putting along...
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

63 vwnotch wrote:
Rotella 15/40 Diesel

you're welcome..

THREAD LOCKED

You need to go back 30-40 pages and read. The last 2-3 years the Fed's changed the regulations on Diesel oils and they should no longer be used in gasoline engines.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:
63 vwnotch wrote:
Rotella 15/40 Diesel

you're welcome..

THREAD LOCKED

You need to go back 30-40 pages and read. The last 2-3 years the Fed's changed the regulations on Diesel oils and they should no longer be used in gasoline engines.

And I will ask you one more time to show me a single reliable source that says an S rated oil should not be used in a gasoline engine just because it also carries a diesel rating.
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
vwracerdave wrote:
63 vwnotch wrote:
Rotella 15/40 Diesel

you're welcome..

THREAD LOCKED

And I will ask you one more time to show me a single reliable source that says an S rated oil should not be used in a gasoline engine just because it also carries a diesel rating.

I refuse to get into a bitch fight with you. You troll this oil thread like you are the authority. Evreybody else can make up their own mind. The info was posted 30-40 pages ago by other Samba members but you refuse to accept it.
BenJAMin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

As long as it is a 40 weight or above the oil is exempt from zinc restrictions. I use dual and gas rated Wolf's Head Extreme Duty which has 1400 ppm zinc
63 vwnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

from my current and limited reading on rotella it seems to still have 1200 ppm zinc, is this good enough?? I'm not a member of bobtheoilguy and barely a member here, most my posts are rambling as I really don't have what it takes to answer most mechanical questions, body/paint maybe but again merely opinions and what's worked for me...

Just talked with a large reputable VW Engine builder at length the other day, like and hour visit.... within that time I found it very interesting that he uses Rotella in his builds, out of respect for him I will not mention names.... but it works for him and he recommends it, after close to 40 years of business doing these I tend to listen, though again it's only his opionin...

with that said, it's news to me that diesel oil has been modified, a must read for several hours I guess..
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:
Wildthings wrote:
vwracerdave wrote:
63 vwnotch wrote:
Rotella 15/40 Diesel

you're welcome..

THREAD LOCKED

I refuse to get into a bitch fight with you. You troll this oil thread like you are the authority. Evreybody else can make up their own mind. The info was posted 30-40 pages ago by other Samba members but you refuse to accept it.

Definitely anyone that posts about oil on The Samba knows more about oil that the automotive and oil industries, NOT.

It is time for you to post a link from a reliable source, you have been asked to do this many times.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
vwracerdave wrote:
Wildthings wrote:
vwracerdave wrote:
63 vwnotch wrote:
Rotella 15/40 Diesel

you're welcome..

THREAD LOCKED

Definitely anyone that posts about oil on The Samba knows more about oil that the automotive and oil industries, NOT.

It is time for you to post a link from a reliable source, you have been asked to do this many times.

These say 1223 ppm
http://www.pqiamerica.com/June%202014/consolidated%20HDEO%202015.html
http://www.pqiamerica.com/June%202014/shellrotellatT1540.htm

Edit: More recent link from their site says 1190 ppm:
"Date of purchase: 8-10-2016"
http://pqiadata.org/ShellRotellaT15W40.html
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
Wildthings wrote:
vwracerdave wrote:
Wildthings wrote:
vwracerdave wrote:
63 vwnotch wrote:
Rotella 15/40 Diesel

you're welcome..

THREAD LOCKED

These say 1223 ppm
http://www.pqiamerica.com/June%202014/consolidated%20HDEO%202015.html
http://www.pqiamerica.com/June%202014/shellrotellatT1540.htm

Edit: More recent link from their site says 1190 ppm:
"Date of purchase: 8-10-2016"
http://pqiadata.org/ShellRotellaT15W40.html

Yes your links clearly show that Rotella T 15w40 is an SM rated oil and thus suitable for use in a gasoline engine.
63 vwnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

Pep Boys at 1363...?? who would have thought?? course at Pep Boys prices it would probably be better just to add some additive, but with those numbers I may keep an eye out for a sale Cool
johny__utah
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 10:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

I've been using Valvoline VR1 10w 30 year around in Southwest Arizona for a couple of years, my motor seems to like it 1776 dual 35's stock height. I'm interested in Brad Penn oils for my next oil change so my question is has Brad Penn oil always been partial synthetic and what are your opinions on it if used? Like to try 15w 40 or 10w 40 since we have cold mornings and warm afternoons even in the winter time.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rockerarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

Hi. What cam/lifters are in your engine?
Look at the specs for some of these popular oils. I absolutely dig the diesel rated oils for stock/mild applications. Keep in mind these oils are, buy the manufacturer, dual rated/fleet oils. Look at Chevron's pour point spec. Chevron states their iSO-SYN meets some synthetic specs. 1000+ ppm zddp. And in the Los Angeles area I can find Delo for less than $15/gal on traditional and $20/gal on the 5w-40 synthetic.
Check the specs:

https://cglapps.chevron.com/MSDSPDS/PDSDETAILPAGE.ASPX?DOCDATAID=415568&DOCFORMAT=PDF

http://www.deloperformance.com/content/dam/chevron...n_5W40.pdf

http://content.valvoline.com/pdf/vr1_racing.pdf

Hope this helps, Bill.
Deh Shark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

I uses Valvoline racing straight 50W in my 2386cc. No issues at all. I also lives in the tropical weather of the US Virgin Islands

55 3 fold Ragtop
Manx Dune buggy 2387cc
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
blue65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

I like to change the oil in my engine every 1000 miles. But do I also have to change and clean the filter and replace my external filter as well (I have an external filter)?
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

why change the oil if you dont change the filter. Im down to about 8000miles ayear nowdays since the kids are grown & gone now.I change mine 1 time a year. quakerstate deffy semi synthetic witch has zinc in it and it's about $15 a gallon at wally world.i usualy mix it with a full synthetic.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 202, 203, 204 ... 233, 234, 235  Next
Jump to:
Page 203 of 235

Jump to: