Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Color time
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
surferdudedav
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 5:46 pm    Post subject: Color time Reply with quote

ok.. i need some help.. i just primered the inside of my thing and now its color time.. im going w/ a tan top and tan windows.. i dont want a shiney finish and definitly dont want a flat finish.. id prefer a single stage.. im just lost on figuring out a cool color.. im not wanting to paint it blue, black, yellow, red. orange ect.. im think drab green or a tan color.. something w/ a military feel and neutral... thanks!

p.s. im not really a purist but im NOT out to butcher a beautiful thing.. lol heres some more pics of before and after.. http://s22.photobucket.com/albums/b311/surferdudedav/THING%20RUSToration/

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

heres the the color of the top and nos windows i have (TAN):
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Woreign
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked online for cars with tan convertible tops, and it seems that the most popular colors are: red, dark green, yellow, black, and white. You definitely want to choose a contrasting color. I don't think tan on tan would look right. If you want to go with a military look, olive drab would be your best choice, and would compliment the tan top.

It looks like you've done a good job a good job getting rid of the rust on your Thing. Keep of the good work and keep us posted with your progress and take lots of photos!
Go-SpeedRacer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this may sound weird, and had I not seen it myself, I would call myself crazy, but I saw a old school Ford Bronco, 69 or 70, painted this way on Thursday, and it looked really nice. It was painted that Saddle color of yours on the bottom 1/3 and that White color for the top 2/3's. The entire floor and undercarriage, etc. was painted that Saddle color. The really cool thing is that I would swear that the Saddle & White color had some Pearl coat or Metallic flakes in it because it really sparkled in the sun. I will keep an eye out for the guy and stop and take a picture next time I see him.

I would also think that the painting an entire Thing in that Saddle color would probably look good.
surferdudedav
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woreign wrote:
I looked online for cars with tan convertible tops, and it seems that the most popular colors are: red, dark green, yellow, black, and white. You definitely want to choose a contrasting color. I don't think tan on tan would look right. If you want to go with a military look, olive drab would be your best choice, and would compliment the tan top.

It looks like you've done a good job a good job getting rid of the rust on your Thing. Keep of the good work and keep us posted with your progress and take lots of photos!

THANKS! yea i guess your right tan on tan would kinda just blind in.. so contrasting colors... throw them at me! any photochoppers out there?! (keep in mind i have a tan top and windws not saddle)

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Woreign
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try this site:

http://www.volkswarenhaus.de/bugselecta.htm

No Thing, but there is a Kubelwagen...
Video Bob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know where I saw it, but there was a cream color thing with a tan top and tan leather interior that was outstanding. May have been in one of the high end auction listings.
Bob F
1974 Thing
1974 Super Beetle
1976 Westy P22
surferdudedav
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Video Bob wrote:
I don't know where I saw it, but there was a cream color thing with a tan top and tan leather interior that was outstanding. May have been in one of the high end auction listings.
Bob F

yea my fiance was gettin on me about the cream/offwhite... i didnt realize choosing a color would be this hard lol
MajerThing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a tan (saddle) top with matching tan interior. You'll definitely want to have the side windows match as well. I also repainted the frame to match and it all blends together nicely. The only thing I don't like is the bumpers contrast with the whole "scheme". I'd recommend painting your bumpers the same as your body, or adding some bumper-color pinstriping to "tie it together". I can post some more pics if you's like to see the effect.

surferdudedav
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats preety slick.. MORE PICS!!!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: