Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fridge: Driving with it on propane?
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sailing7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:10 pm    Post subject: Fridge: Driving with it on propane? Reply with quote

I have a 2nd aux battery with a charger, however, I believe you still cannot use the Fridge while driving? Is it safe or practical to run the Fridge on Propane while you are driving? Assuming one tank would run it for 5 days on propane? Also, despite having the aux battery running on the battery while driving is not recommended? Seems it would be better to just wait until you can plug in it at night? Any experience would be greatly appreciated as I just bought a 1987 Westy. thanks.
DLJ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:28 pm    Post subject: refrigerator Reply with quote

Its totally ok to run your refrigerator in ANY mode while driving. Typically I run mine on battery while on the road then change over to propane at my destination. Be aware that when you engine is not running you tefrigerator will not operate on 12 volt.
Tobias Duncan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have run mine on propane 24 hours a day for months. 1 tank lasts three weeks.
sailing7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank YOU Very Happy
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I routinely run it on propane 24/7 while travelling. My longest stretch was just over a year (with a propane refill about every 14 days).

Some report the flame blows out while driving, others do not experience that.
DLJ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 5:55 pm    Post subject: refrigerator Reply with quote

The only reason I use battery mode is to conserve propane. I often camp for days at a time in rural areas.
Flame only blows out if there is a leak somewhere in the system. Usually at the junction of intake and exhaust (flue) at the side of the van.
desertrefugee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer propane mode - even when underway. I see a pretty hefty load on the system from DC mode. Coupled with headlights, ECU, ignition, stereo, etc and there's just not enough charging differential (<13V on the gauge) for me to be comfortable. And that's with a year-old Bosch alternator. Never presented a problem, I'm just being proactive.

"For I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night." - Sarah Williams
wyomingresident
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tobias Duncan wrote:
I have run mine on propane 24 hours a day for months. 1 tank lasts three weeks.

^^^What he said.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
travelteam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:48 am    Post subject: Re: refrigerator Reply with quote

DLJ wrote:
The only reason I use battery mode is to conserve propane. I often camp for days at a time in rural areas.
Flame only blows out if there is a leak somewhere in the system. Usually at the junction of intake and exhaust (flue) at the side of the van.

Interesting. My fridge blows out if I drive or even if it's too windy. Can you explain where this junction is? And what I am looking to validate is sealed? Is it accessible by taking the flue cover off or will the fridge need pulled? Thanks.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ours would blow out when we first got it on the road. I was doing something unrelated to it blowing out, but that seemed to solve it. I was concerned the vent on the side of the van was leaking water. I removed it and added some silicone sealer to the backside of the gasket. While I had it off, I took some compressed air and blew through the drain fitting at the base of the fridge inside.

From that point on we noticed the fridge stopped blowing out. Using the stove to make coffee in the morning and heating some dinner at night, we go easily two weeks on a propane fill with the fridge running full time.
DLJ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:44 am    Post subject: refrigerator Reply with quote

The junction I mention is the one at the driver side. Its round and is a vent for exhaust/intake. Check to see that the rubber seal is making good contact to the van itself. Tighten ALL the screws. If this doesnt work you will have to remove fridge and make a visual check for cracks in flue(exhaust/intake) and also check for leak around the bottom of the flame chamber. (there is a rubber gasket)
Other possibility is you have a flame but its weak and blows out easily. Try just blowing air at intake/exhaust if you get a lot of soot and dirt you'll know you've got it.
travelteam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: refrigerator Reply with quote

DLJ wrote:
The junction I mention is the one at the driver side. Its round and is a vent for exhaust/intake. Check to see that the rubber seal is making good contact to the van itself. Tighten ALL the screws. If this doesnt work you will have to remove fridge and make a visual check for cracks in flue(exhaust/intake) and also check for leak around the bottom of the flame chamber. (there is a rubber gasket)
Other possibility is you have a flame but its weak and blows out easily. Try just blowing air at intake/exhaust if you get a lot of soot and dirt you'll know you've got it.

Cool. I've had my fridge in and out a few times – and eventually ended up replacing my fridge entirely due to PO letting enough water get down the flue to rust out everything all the way down to the combustion chamber. So at least I do know that my current fridge is clean. Likely my gasket as the outside isn't a perfect seal... thanks for the info.
zippyslug31
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This has been asked a few times in the past.

Don't confuse "can you" with "should you". IRRC, the general wisdom of why you shouldn't travel with the fridge on propane is that you need to have the tank's valve open which is (supposedly) dangerous should you get in an accident, smack the tank off road, etc. Not arguing the point against, just trying to recall what others have stated.

Personally, I've driven with it on propane and it's worked fine. But, I like to save my propane for camp plus having that tank valve closed while underway gives me a tiny bit more sense of security.
'90 syncro westy 2.5L subi, triple knob, 16" wheels.
'84 sunroof van, 2.1L motor.
Tobias Duncan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you crash your van and are hanging halfway off a cliff, unable to get to the shutoff, you will really kick yourself for running around with the fridge on.
sea_sick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tobias Duncan wrote:
If you crash your van and are hanging halfway off a cliff, unable to get to the shutoff, you will really kick yourself for running around with the fridge on.

It's this kind of feedback from unique perspectives that make The Samba invaluable. If I'm ever able to get my da#n fridge lit again I'll be sure to shut it off prior to driving off a cliff.
RBEmerson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: FRIDGE ? ON Propane Reply with quote

sailing7 wrote:
I have a 2 ND aux battery with a charger, however, I believe you still cannot use the Fridge while driving? Is it safe or practical to run the Fridge on Propane while you are driving? Assuming one tank would run it for 5 days on propane? Also, despite having the aux battery running on the battery while driving is not recommended? Seems it would be better to just wait until you can plug in it at night? Any experience would be greatly appreciated as I just bought a 1087 Westy. thanks.

As others have said, running the fridge while driving works just fine. We just finished a 1600 mile trip from Philadelphia, PA to near West Palm Beach, FL (with lots of detours, obviously) and ran the fridge 24/7. With one exception: when taking on propane (well duh!). Consumption worked out to about 1.5 gal./week.

On our first trip, we had problems with the flame blowing out, but since then it hasn't happened. Good karma changed things? [/ <-- humor?]

Re: concern about an accident while the fridge is in use: meh. I suppose there's some small increase in risk but it's nothing my wife or I lose sleep over. Frankly, we spend more time thinking about how crash-worthy our Westy is (or isn't).
DLJ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:30 pm    Post subject: refrigerator Reply with quote

Have you thought about that dangerous fuel tank right under you?? And I have ripped my propane line out off roading. Nothing happened !! Imagine that.
Also I dont drive over cliffs.
S4VAGE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tobias Duncan wrote:

This thread needs Toonsis in a Vanagon gif
Royb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine runs fine while driving, and I'm loath to turn it off after the challenge of getting it started, but I think the owners manual says not to drive with the propane on, and as others have pointed out, the propane valve is a lot sturdier in an accident than the various tubing inside the van. So I turn it off while driving.
RBEmerson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: refrigerator Reply with quote

DLJ wrote:
Have you thought about that dangerous fuel tank right under you?? And I have ripped my propane line out off roading. Nothing happened !! Imagine that.
Also I dont drive over cliffs.

And, heaven forfend, the gas filler next to the passenger door might pop open. Hmmm... time to give up the van and hike. Oh, but then someone could nail me with a car if I walk along a road. Maybe I should stay in bed and pull the covers over my head. Nope, I might strangle if I wrap a sheet around my neck in my sleep. Sigh... life is truly a terminal condition.

- - -

Um, there is a bit of sarcasm above...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: