Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Gas Heaters....Should I let a dead heater lay?
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SlugBugzTShirts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 5:26 pm    Post subject: Gas Heaters....Should I let a dead heater lay? Reply with quote

Both of my things have gas heaters but I have never got them to work. Not that I need them but it might be nice to have on cold nights. Any good information regarding how they work and how to make them work when they don't would be highly appreciated.

Thankz

SlugBugz Twisted Evil
Coming Spring 2007 SlugBugz.com Hippies only!
Ian Epperson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Searching this forum works really well. Here's my post from only 2 weeks ago.
(now on the 2nd repost!)

---

Woreign wrote:
As far as the heater, you can view and/or download the service manual here: http://failsure.net/oacdp/ebersp.html
Hopefully the vehicle still has the fuel pump for the heater, which is located above the master brake cylinder, under the fuel tank.

You can also search this forum for some advice. Here's what I wrote in a different thread (cleaned up a bit):

The pump is a solonoid - it'll give one squirt of gas every time 12v is applied. When the pump is working, you'll get about a pulse every second of 12v. This is driven off of the fan - there is a switch that trips on every couple of revolutions. Usually, the pump locks up requiring some maintenence - hitting it with a hammer often helps! It's quite hardy, but does freeze up if not used within a few months. If it's not clicking when the heater runs and hasn't worked in a long time, you may have to pull it from the car, wash out all the old fuel, give it a few jolts of 12v direct from the battery (CAREFUL CAREFUL of spark and shooting fuel!) and reinstall.

Check both the fuse and circuit breaker on the heater controller. The fuse blows when the heater over-temps which kills power to the entire unit - this should be an 8 amp fuse as it's supposed to blow when the heater is too hot. Often, you'll find someone put a 16 or 30 (!) amp fuse thinking there isn't enough power - but the heater intentionally shorts out at around 300 degrees. If the fan runs too long and no heat happens, the circuit breaker will pop - reset it by moving sliding the switch to the side (toward the passenger side IIRC) and it'll click quietly.

Very very often, the thermostat is frozen up. That cable from the compartment on the left is supposed to rotate the bi-metallic spring to change when the thermostat opens and closes. It's a very simple circuit in-line with the dashboard switch. The thermostat is supposed to prevent the heater from going over 212 degrees as read at the outlet. When the heater gets to 212 (or wherever it's set) the thermostat cuts power to the pump and the fan cools the unit until the thermostat re-engages and the unit heats up again. If it goes over 300 degrees, the fuse pops. When the thermostat is frozen, the bi-metallic spring can't rotate the little shaft it's bolted to, and the power is never cut - then it runs up to 300 and the entire thing stops.

It works great - when it works.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SlugBugzTShirts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 6:17 pm    Post subject: Thanks for the link and info Reply with quote

I'am just figuring out this forum stuff..I need to do more searches...Thanks

SlugBugz Laughing
lee73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! You have to love the Samba Police. Rolling Eyes
ztnoo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For more info you might check this out:
The Life and Death of a Gas Heater
http://shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=80886&sid=57352b01c45eff7f6cc69d3bca3cd378
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
suntour
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cannot believe that old “life and death” thread is still around. I would have thought its gone the way of the dinosaur by now…

**update**

I just looked at the old thread. It seems that when my server got hacked it killed all the photos I had posted. I wonder how long that has been that way? Anyway I will try to post them again soon.
Ian Epperson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lee73 wrote:
Wow! You have to love the Samba Police. Rolling Eyes

OK, I'm lettin you off with a warning this time, I'll even overlook that double post. Next time though, I may have to cite you. Laughing

I thought I was polite in my original post - I was trying to be more informative than snide. OK, I did get a bit snide with the "2nd repost" comment. Embarassed

Sorry if I was an ass SlugBugz. Thanks for calling me out Lee.

Gotta add more smileys Razz Cool Smile Wink Very Happy Dancing heh...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SlugBugzTShirts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 9:02 am    Post subject: Let's behave here!!! Reply with quote

My bad for double double post..I'am a nubie.....but not4 long!!!

SlugBugz Embarassed
MajerThing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

uhhh...its spelled "newbie".

Gosh, stinkin nubes....

Shame on you

(Kidding...welcome to the most valuable Thing resource on the Web. The "search" function will become your best friend!))
SlugBugzTShirts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 9:43 am    Post subject: Mi SpeLin is REel BaD Reply with quote

I'am from Ohio...whatcha expect Laughing

Hows the weather in Fla. Rain-Ice-Wind here today...Yuk

SlugBugz
MajerThing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

High 60's. Its downright chilly for late March!!!

Still nice enough for a top-down drive, though. Unfortunately I'm waiting on a new pedal cluster. Went to replace the brake spring this weekend and discovered PO was a fan of welding things...
lee73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could have certainly been a lot more PC in my post as well. I can appreciate the frustrations of someone intentionally spamming the boards with nonsense, but I think Slugz was not doing it to up post count. Wink

My bad if I came across like I was policing the police. Embarassed
Towel Rail
Horizontally Opposed

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MajerThing wrote:
uhhh...its spelled "newbie".

Gosh, stinkin nubes....

Shame on you

Just FYI, it's now been shortened to "nub." Get with the program! Wink

Freakin' nubs...

049 > 070 > 053 > 009
SlugBugzTShirts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 6:36 am    Post subject: I have bugz in my blood..EEEEK Reply with quote

Sorry if I looks like I'am self promoting my shirt biz..I tend to get to business orientated in most of my adventures. The fact is....I am a VW owner, fanatic, and have been for almost 40 years. How many of us have driven coast to coast in a beatle? I have....1978 when Skylab was falling from the sky, myself and best friend to this day, drove a 63 or 64 beatle fenders off, top cut out, painted camo with Skylab painted on the doors and headed from right to left ......trany stuck in 3rd gear most of the time and only an e break. That's when you get to know a bug! Any way...I am starting to load up some pic's this week to share, and I enjoy looking thru this great forum. My only regret is that I only learned about it recently. Oh yea..I still have my first edition Idiot book and it has enough spillage in it (if you know what I mean) to keep a party going all night long....

SlugBugz forever!! Twisted Evil
Ian Epperson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Towel Rail, the 2000 post noob wrote:
Just FYI, it's now been shortened to "nub." Get with the program! Wink
Freakin' nubs...

grumble grumble noob's not checking the dictionary... Laughing

SlugBugzTShirts wrote:
The fact is....I am a VW owner, fanatic, and have been for almost 40 years... I am starting to load up some pic's this week to share, and I enjoy looking thru this great forum. My only regret is that I only learned about it recently.

Welcome to the forum!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: