Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

No fuse on wire to coil
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
HenrikL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:31 am    Post subject: No fuse on wire to coil Reply with quote

After changing the main wire harness I realize that the black wire from the dash to the ignition coil is not fused. This would mean that if I get a short-circuit I will fry the black wire and would have to replace the main harness again - including removing both front and read fenders.

Anyone know why this wire is not fused and why I should not add a fuse?
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: No fuse on wire to coil Reply with quote

Ad the fuse. not sure why VW never fused that.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: No fuse on wire to coil Reply with quote

VW never fused the ignition circuit on any Type.
Multi69s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: No fuse on wire to coil Reply with quote

In reality, it would probably be a good idea to fuse it if: You have excellent and insulated connections at the fuse holder, AND you carried extra fuses.

I don't know why VW didn't do it, because I have seen the coil wire get shorted and take out the hole loom. Anybody have an idea why it wasn't done?
Gone but not forgotten 72 Baja Bug 2010
My builds
T4 into Squareback http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=458944&highlight=
Auto Trans Rebuild http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=516066&highlight=
AC in Squareback https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: No fuse on wire to coil Reply with quote

While doing a tuneup, I had the main ignition wire start to burn when the accel pump arm pinched the wire to the choke/pilot jet. I heard and smelled it, and pulled it off just as the melting approached the coil. If it had happened while driving, my whole wiring bindle would probably be toast. A fuseholder, or circuit breaker might not be a bad idea...
Sqrbckguy38
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: No fuse on wire to coil Reply with quote

I learned a very sad lesson about this. My fasty had the coil fall off the bracket while driving and kill the car. It smoked the entire harness, and I was on the freeway with my then one year old daughter. I had to replace it all with a harness from a junked car, and added a fuse to it. Now every one I begin to drive, gets a fuse for the coil.
No idea why they didn't, maybe an oversight? Maybe they didn't think it necessary?
67 Beetle, Opal
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: No fuse on wire to coil Reply with quote

Sqrbckguy38 wrote:
I learned a very sad lesson about this. My fasty had the coil fall off the bracket while driving and kill the car. It smoked the entire harness, and I was on the freeway with my then one year old daughter. I had to replace it all with a harness from a junked car, and added a fuse to it. Now every one I begin to drive, gets a fuse for the coil.
No idea why they didn't, maybe an oversight? Maybe they didn't think it necessary?

What size fuse did you use?
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
Sqrbckguy38
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 10:48 pm    Post subject: Re: No fuse on wire to coil Reply with quote

I tried a 5amp but it would sometimes short out, so I used a 7.5amp and that seems to be the right one. It was in my fasty, my brothers sqr, and even now my 67 beetle. I just carry a spare in case, so it won't leave me stranded.
67 Beetle, Opal
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Retrovan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:13 am    Post subject: Re: No fuse on wire to coil Reply with quote

The reason is that the uninformed, non mechanically minded guys do not get left standing because bad contact on the fuse.

We all know that these fuses need rolling from time to time to clean them or every thing stops working.

What I would do if you want protection, is fit a small circuit breaker in line that is under the dash.

This way you are sure to get to it when in a difficult situation and fit a 10 amp as this will trip, when faulty, but will not open circuit for fun.

OMO

Herman
1972 Bay Panel-van with type 4 2 Lt. twin 34 ICT's (white)
2019 Beetle Flatbed Truck called MeFusco
1973 FT Hahn SP - Project 1776cc
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: