Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Driving with the Windshield Down
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
GSD_Master
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 6:47 am    Post subject: Driving with the Windshield Down Reply with quote

Has anyone else driven on the highway for more than just a couple minutes with the windshield folded down? I went for 20 minutes the other day going about 60 mph. Neddless to say, I had my driving goggles on. I did, however, take one bug in the ear and one in the neck. My friend had a bug fly in his mouth. It doesn't feel very good going at 60 mph.

I have another question though. Is this illegal? There is a sticker on the Thing that says not to drive on public roads with the windshield down or the doors off. Maybe this has something the mirrors being attached to the doors and windshield (on a 73' of course).
Ian Epperson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find that going any faster than about 35 MPH with the windsheild down is too windy to be comfortable. The first time I drove on a highway with it down was in Hawaii on H1 around North Shore and a small green fruit fell off a tree and smacked me in the chest!! Now I only drive with the windshield down on surface streets.

I was pulled over one night by the Pearl Harbor base police for driving around the base without the windshield. The MP walked up with his jaw dropped and only said "What's wrong with your car!?!" I pulled up the windshield and said we were just driving around the base, he waved "um OK, good night" and left.

The question of "is it legal" varies from state to state - if you post your location you'll get a more accurate guess Very Happy

Here in California, I've driven for months without the doors, and passed cops on surface streets with my windshield down. IIRC, California vehicle code says that I have to have an "operational" windshield - it doesn't say anything about actually having to cover the driver.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bciesq
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This has been previously discussed here:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1...highlight=

To recap, Fla. Stat. § 316.2952 states as follows:

Quote:
(1) A windshield in a fixed and upright position, which windshield is equipped with safety glazing as required by federal safety-glazing material standards, is required on every motor vehicle which is operated on the public highways, roads, and streets, except on a motorcycle or implement of husbandry.

While California § 26700 states:

Quote:
(a) Except as provided in subdivision (b), a passenger vehicle, other than a motorcycle, and every bus, motortruck or truck tractor, and every firetruck, fire engine or other fire apparatus, whether publicly or privately owned, shall be equipped with an adequate windshield

GSD_Master
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the link. I don't think I will be driving it on the the highways again with the windshield down. It really is too windy at 60 mph and, here in Arkansas, the bugs are really starting to come out. That being said, I did drive by two cops on my little trip and all that they did was give me a very strange look.
Thingggg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is anything illegal in Arkansas Razz
surferdudedav
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

its like riding a motorcycle.. or a boat.. i wont drive mine w/ the windshield up lol
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GSD_Master
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alsehendo34 wrote:
Is anything illegal in Arkansas Razz

Only marrying someone who isn't a direct relation Shocked
seriously though...
Towel Rail
Horizontally Opposed

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love driving mine sans windshield and doors, it's a blast. Usual disclaimers apply though... Cool

049 > 070 > 053 > 009
kubelmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My middle son created these cereal box wind deflectors that he hands out when we go rock and roll with the windshield down. They have a plastic lens/windscreen inside. If you want comfort move over. Put the windshield down, take off the doors and throw your cares to the wind. A day in a Thing makes lots of bad days melt like butter in the hot sun. K-mann
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
surferdudedav
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kubelmann wrote:
My middle son created these cereal box wind deflectors that he hands out when we go rock and roll with the windshield down. They have a plastic lens/windscreen inside. If you want comfort move over. Put the windshield down, take off the doors and throw your cares to the wind. A day in a Thing makes lots of bad days melt like butter in the hot sun. K-mann

..unless it brakes down on you.. lol
kuebelwagen84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just bought new driving goggles so my gf could also drive with me with the windshield down, never bothered checking the NJ laws

I dunno, I see Jeep drivers with the windshield down and doors off so I guess I can too in my thing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: