Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Thing Buyers Guide?
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jeromeaircooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 3:49 pm    Post subject: Thing Buyers Guide? Reply with quote

Hello, I am considering buying a thing. I would like to buy a project but would like to know about what to watch out for. What parts are NLA or so outrageous as to warrant passing up a car. I am somewhat experienced with aircooled engines (I have good running buses and bugs that weren't good running when I started) but don't want to buy something that I can't have up and running in a few months. Are there fatal flaws?
ztnoo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bljones,
This could be a super sticky thread........with everyone contributing.
It would be an great aid to potential new Thing buyers.
Hope this develops as I think I could.

Chime in everyone.....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bucko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A stock NOS right side front metal fender is very costly. For some reason the right front fender is rarer, and therefor more expensive that the left front.

Most right front metal fenders have the 3 metal "loops" installed (used for the military flap that covered the headlight when parked), so those that have a non military 181 have to remove these.

Lower rocker panels have recently come up for sale aftermarket; they used to be a bit costly.

The retractable top frame ca be difficult to locate too, especially one with straight bows.

Past VW drives: 1967 Beetle, 1973 Beetle, 1977 Bus, 1971 Military Type 181
bciesq
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would add the windshield frame to the list. I have a little rust on the bottom portion of mine and have been casually looking for a reasonable replacement for months to no avail.

If it's a '73, then the fan should is ridiculously expensive, but you can get it running with any doghouse shoud.

Most any type 1 engine can be made to work, but the transmission has some Thing-only aspects -- the flanges and CV joints come to mind.

The rear brake drums are special to the Thing and are kind of expensive to replace.

The front beam is Thing-only as well.

Other random expensive Thing-only parts: wiper motor, side mirrors, gas heater ('73 only).
kubelmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Radioman has his Thing up for sale. His is a very nice machine. Any buyer would be lucky to get his hands on this beauty. He is a long time Thing list member adn has put unlimited work adn $$ into this Thing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jeromeaircooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Radioman has his Thing up for sale.

Yes, but judging by his avatar his Thing is pretty nice. If I'm gonna buy it will be a project. I like bringing these vehicles back to life. Plus I've got an engine ready to go, sounds like with a few tin adjustments.

Just wanting to know what to watch out for. Do you guys have trouble getting pans?

Also, been reading through some posts on this board I've noticed that you guys are pretty self-abusive. I think the Things look pretty cool. Geez, if the bay window bus guys can get excited about how they look (or worse the vanagon guys) why are y'all so insecure.
kubelmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey bro. Radioman's rocks.... You got that right. Thing dudes are not insecure just self rightous.. We got it and we know it.. And then there are those of us that got more than one.. Holy moly. If you want to find a builder you will need to pay dues or $$$ Thing pans are easy to get... Its a Ghia Danish pan... Wiper motor, electrical phantoms, crushed noise. rotted rockers. Missing rare stock parts like seats and rusty windshields and the beat goes on. Thing just keep getting more and more precious and new cars go up in $$ adn get bosier and boxier "VW Thing an idea whose time has come." K-mann
suntour
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I will throw in my 2 cents on this. I am in the process of a 100% ground up restoration of a Thing that is way beyond any hope of restoration. So I have been scrounging for parts and solutions for a year to get this back on the road.

I think you need to consider how you want to rebuild a project car. 1. 100% bone stock ( a purists dream) 2. An ascetically pleasing and functional car but not 100% original (what most people own) 3. A completely custom build Thing because the foundation you’re working with is beyond all hope of even a rudimentary restoration. (That would be my case)

If you’re a purist, be prepared for endless searching on the samba, eBay and every shady dealer you can find. Hit every VW car show and swap meet you can attend, also plenty of phone calls and orders from the Thing Shop, GMW, and Ralph in Germany. It will cost a bundle in time and money. In the end you will have a rare Thing that the rest of us drool over. The kind car with the perfect shade of semi-gloss factory orange and a slight hint of the 181 part number stamped into the door hinges and lower windshield frame under the paint. We will all be envious of that shiny accessory 73’ sport shifter with its simulated wood grain plastic shift knob and matching steering wheel. Matching AM engine case with an AV transmission and stock NOS exhaust. Did I mention expensive.

The there is the car that looks good and drives great with fiber glass fenders and an engine from a 75’ bug with the heat ports in the shroud blocked off. It will have a rebuilt transmission from a mystery year bug and run on stamped steel wheels that you found at a garage sale for $25. You make do with Danish floor boards and use seats recovered from a 65 beetle you found for $30 here on TheSamba. All-in-all it looks fine for a thirty year old car but you can see the body panels aren’t perfectly straight and the patch in the front left quarter panel has some Bondo flaking off. It gets you around, you enjoy driving it and it didn’t break the bank getting it on the road.

Then there is the one-off custom built Thing that ranges from damn cheap to major high dollars. You either have more money that you know what to do with or you’re broke and just want to keep driving your junker. So you come up with creative solutions to fix something when in reality your car should have been sent off to the scrap heap. Examples range from the ever popular Thing-a-ma-bob (insert picture here) Dave’s beautiful off-roader (insert picture of the white tube framed Thing with the ultra-rims) or just a hunk of junk (insert hoodride Thing image here)

So if you tell us what you’re after as the finished product we can really nail down the details on what you can or cannot get and problems areas to avoid.

The posts above have nailed down a lot of the major stuff but I will reiterate some of them.

Bciesq is right, the fan shrouds are expensive COMPAIRED to a regular bug shroud but you don’t have to have one. A bug shroud works fine.

Wiper motors are around $130, but if your creative maybe you can adapt one from a 74’ landcruiser.

Floor boards and inner/outer rockers are available from Econo International Supply a.k.a. eisparts.com. They are not 100% true to the originals but they work and are a lot cheaper that the NOS ones. Good luck finding an inner passenger NOS rocker.

Lower windshield frames can be found at the Thing Shop. They come with stainless steel hinges for $310. Used one are less but harder to find with out rust. Once again, a good welder can fix most problems in this area for just a couple for bucks.

Fiber glass fenders run $175 front $95 rear. I have seen them used for less. Metal NOS is $300 or used metal range from $20 to $150. Email metal by Gary, he might have one or two.

Doors are easy to get and cheap. (also good for skin graphs to other areas)

OG side mirrors are expensive but Bus mirrors work fine and are cheap.

Rear brake drums are $75 - $90 for German. (cheap if you ask me)

Good straight bumpers are expensive and hard to come by but channel iron will work and look kind of the same.

Soft tops are relatively cheap but the frames range from $100 used to $700 new/rebuilt.

Reproduction factory exhausts are starting to pop up and not to expensive or go with a header for less money.

The list goes on. The only thing that is really expensive and hard to find are the front and rear NOS quarter panels. I think I have just bought the last NOS passenger side front quarter panel on this planet but I paid A LOT for it. However used donor front or rear clips are every where. You cannot swing a cat around here with out hitting one.

Basic drive train or electrical can be swapped with almost any post-70’s beetle.

Personally I think that getting a running Thing will be a tad more that doing a Beetle. Building a purist dream Thing will be around that same as doing, lets say, a 55’ Oval but less than a early 60’s Bus. Custom built, well that is up to you.

Sorry this post is so bloody long. I just started typing and I guess I didn’t know when to finish.
Towel Rail
Horizontally Opposed

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great post, suntour! Good to see you back around here -- guess that resto is keeping you busy... Smile

049 > 070 > 053 > 009
jeromeaircooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'm a bit of both. I don't mind driving a project, but I like the idea of bringing things back to original (matching serial #'s etc is a bit overboard for me though, I just want it to look original). I'd like to have something to get back on the road asap then slowly do a restore. Dents or crappy seats in the beginning isn't big deal to me. I just want to make sure that eventually I can find the parts to fully restore it.
radioman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to be overly hyper, but if you want to get on the road and simply R&R, fix when busted and add to your own interests, then you want to spend the $$$ to get a good starter. Spend $1500 for a near trasher and be prepared (depending on what you want) to spend LOTS more before you are done. I have loved my Thing for over four years but even though it was a baby when I got it, I have still spent over $4K on tops, wheels, tires, engine, exhaust etc etc. I loved every minute and my Thing is what I wished it to be. I just no longer have the health to continue. A good Thing even in good condition is going to require money....either up front or spread over time. These cars are 30+ years old. Don't start with a fix-up if you are 60 years old. You won't have the money or time!!!! Shocked Full disclosure: mine is for sale. Crying or Very sad radioman
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: