Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

California Black Plate Bill Hearing Monday, April 9
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
'69Custom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce wrote:
'69Custom wrote:
Bruce wrote:
'69Custom wrote:
DMV is just taking this thing too far.

So don't put black plates on your car. Rolling Eyes Crybaby!

The stickers are easily found on eBay.

Thank you, Bruce. Have you always been an a$$, or did it take practice?

The reason this whole situation has me pissed is simple: when I first bought my mustang and registered it in my name, the DMV made me remove my original black plates and install the ugly new white ones 15 years ago. Now, after the original plates were lost in a move or something, DMV is allowing me to use them again... if I can find and purchase year specific plates, and if I can find and purchase the proper year sticker. The plates were perfectly legal as original to the car then and it gets my goat a little that I have to jump through their hoops to reuse something that I should've been permitted to use then, and had already on the vehicle when it was purchased. And then pay an extra upfront and yearly fee for it.

I'm very sorry if you don't like my issue with that.

Have you always been such a whiner?

Can't you read? It only takes 20 minutes to get the job done when you PLAN ahead. YOUR lack of planning isn't the DMV's fault.

HEY, at least you CAN put them on your car. Be thankful of that. Where I live, there's no such thing as YOM plates. All we can do is use the same ugly-ass plates the new belly-button cars have.

Like I said before, the stickers are PLASTERED all over eBay. And you don't have to limit yourself, any letter combo black plate is allowed on your 60s car. Those are all over eBay too. Prices are way down from their peak 2-3 months ago when NOS ones were going for $500 a pair.
Excuse me, a$$, but given that DMV made me give up my black plates to begin with, and they hadn't had a YOM sticker on them since 1965, I would hardly call that a lack of planning ahead on my part. Also, since I hadn't heard of these YOM stickers even being required for the registration of the plates, I wouldn't have known that I would need one in the first place. Yes, I have since learned that both plates and stickers are available on ebay. Tha's really beside the point, as is everything else you've felt the need to comment on.

Obviously things do work differently in Canada. Here in the U.S., we give voice to our grievances. This thread is about the expansion of the black plate law her in California. I am in California and have things to say about that law. Period. I don't agree with the way its set up or being practiced. You, sir, are in Canada where you have absolutely no relevancy here on this thread. You don't have YOM license plates to worry about, you probably never will. So butt the hell out of it if you don't like something I have to say about what goes on in my own damn country.

Yes, I'm pissed that DMV made me give the plates up to begin with. Yes, I'm pissed that I have to go through the expense now to re-purchase what I once had legally and original. You've never been pissed off and vented about something before?

1969 Frankenbug
1965 Ford Mustang
:2gunfire: F-U-M-P!
~"I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken." ~The Boss
Please excuse any typos as my iPhone doesn't speak English very well. 
tham64 wrote:
Why tune a big round again and again????? For me.... 1 hour will solve the case Cool

www.endlesscustomz.com
'69Custom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nitty wrote:
Do they check to verify that the sticker number has ever been paired with the plate number??
From what I understand, Nitty, after four years of not being registered, a license plate and the vehicle it was registered to are removed from the DMV's computer database. This is what they told me the last time I addressed registration issues with them. There should be no record after that.

Any vehicle that doesn't qualify for the YOM laws that hasn't been registered for those four years, needs to have its VIN inspected and verified by DMV and/or a representative of the law enforcement community, paperwork filled out, and new plates issued to it in order to be re-registered.

1969 Frankenbug
1965 Ford Mustang
tham64 wrote:
Why tune a big round again and again????? For me.... 1 hour will solve the case Cool

www.endlesscustomz.com
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

'69Custom wrote:
. Also, since I hadn't heard of these YOM stickers even being required for the registration of the plates, I wouldn't have known that I would need one in the first place.

That's funny, I knew all about the sticker, and I don't even live in Cali! Admit it, you failed to plan ahead before going to DMV the other day. There's only one person to blame for YOU not knowing the rules to registering black plates. The information was out there.

Sounds like you don't want the whole YOM deal applying to black plates.

'69Custom wrote:

You, sir, are in Canada where you have absolutely no relevancy here on this thread. You don't have YOM license plates to worry about, you probably never will. So butt the hell out of it if you don't like something I have to say about what goes on in my own damn country.

Oh, but I do have "relevancy" here. I seem to know the whole process better than some Californians! HA! And I also provided three Californians with clean matched pairs of black plates. When I sold them, I researched the process, educating myself so I could inform my buyers what to do.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
'69Custom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce wrote:
'69Custom wrote:
. Also, since I hadn't heard of these YOM stickers even being required for the registration of the plates, I wouldn't have known that I would need one in the first place.

That's funny, I knew all about the sticker, and I don't even live in Cali! Admit it, you failed to plan ahead before going to DMV the other day. There's only one person to blame for YOU not knowing the rules to registering black plates. The information was out there.

Sounds like you don't want the whole YOM deal applying to black plates.

'69Custom wrote:

You, sir, are in Canada where you have absolutely no relevancy here on this thread. You don't have YOM license plates to worry about, you probably never will. So butt the hell out of it if you don't like something I have to say about what goes on in my own damn country.

Oh, but I do have "relevancy" here. I seem to know the whole process better than some Californians! HA! And I also provided three Californians with clean matched pairs of black plates. When I sold them, I researched the process, educating myself so I could inform my buyers what to do.
Well, congratulations to you then, Bruce, and here's your cookie for being a good little boy! Now go outside and play with the rest of the children. Just don't go getting dirty before dinner time!

It's nice to see that you as a foreigner are so well informed for everyone else in the world, except for:

1): You can't seem to follow a thread or who is contributing to it.

2): I never said I went to the DMV the other day to try and register anything.

3): I have actually read the vehicle code pertaining to this matter.

4): My contributions to this thread had nothing to do with me not knowing any rules. They were specifically about me not agreeing with rules, and exercising my right as an American for expressing that disagreement. But yes, you are quite correct that I don't want the YOM program applying to black plates because it isn't necessary. It was simply agreed upon by the State to draw in additional revenue by milking us for using legal, non-personalized license plates that we should have been able to make use of in a normal, year applicable situation.

5): Familiarizing yourself with a foreign law and process as a way to make money by selling license plates does not give you relevancy in this thread, sir. You have an interest in the subject matter, fine. It simply makes you an arrogant a$$ who likes to strut his stuff by making worthless comments to the world because you don't like something you've read. And then by making inappropriate judgements to the individuals this law actually applies to, turning the thread into some pissing match over details you don't even appear to have the IQ to follow over the course of a couple of days.

I want to apologize to my fellow Americans and to the rest of The Samba for my part in this worthless and childish debate.

1969 Frankenbug
1965 Ford Mustang
tham64 wrote:

www.endlesscustomz.com

Last edited by '69Custom on Tue Jul 07, 2009 1:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Nitty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't like or agree with the rules, either. I think they are missing the mark. There's a reason the year tab would be important for the really early plates, but 63 - 69 plates are different than the earlier ones.

"Until 1941, new license plates were issued yearly, and every vehicle got a new pair of plates every year. Shortage of metal in World War II led to keeping the same license plates and issuing only a year tab to renew. (1942 used a metal strip that covered the entire top of the plate, 1943 used a V for Victory tab, and 1944 used only a window decal.) Most years need two metal tabs, front and rear (1946, 1954 and 1955 being the exceptions, they use only one tab in the rear)."

But for 63 - 69, the same type plate was used for all years, with renewal stickers issued when needed. The current sticker was typically pasted on top of the previous sticker, thereby negating the first, originally-issued sticker.

So, today, a '65 vehicle originally registered in California with continuous renewals would have a black plate with a current year sticker. That's what I would want and would think is appropriate, not some gay arrangement showing two different year stickers.

But, the rules are the rules, and I guess I'll just go along, get along.
VolksFire
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nitty wrote:
So, today, a '65 vehicle originally registered in California with continuous renewals would have a black plate with a current year sticker. That's what I would want and would think is appropriate, not some gay arrangement showing two different year stickers.

x2. that the way all my original black plates cars are, with the exception of my 67 which i purposely put a 67 sticker on it and added the tab above with the current year. only did that to this car, not sure why, i just like adding unnescessary crap to this bus. lol. if my black plates that i just brought to dmv for the 66 bug turn out to be approved, ill prolly just put the current sticker on like continuous black plates and forget the tabs, although it might not be following the rules.

on another note, 69custom and bruce, chill before this thread gets locked. thanks.
63 Single Cab
67 SO42 Westfalia
73 Thing
76 Kombi
82 Westfalia Deluxe
82 Quantum Coupe
85 Quantum Sedan
85 Quantum Syncro Wagon
96 Golf GL
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
'69Custom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, Nitty and VolksFire, for more eloquently stating my point. And in far fewer words. This is pretty much all I was trying to say, with the exception of my irritation with DMV over my past dealings that made me fall into this category to begin with.

1969 Frankenbug
1965 Ford Mustang
tham64 wrote:

www.endlesscustomz.com
GeorgeL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nitty wrote:

But for 63 - 69, the same type plate was used for all years, with renewal stickers issued when needed. The current sticker was typically pasted on top of the previous sticker, thereby negating the first, originally-issued sticker.

The same applies to '57 through '62. You kept the same yellow-base plate and put renewal stickers on it, just as was done for the later black-base plates. There shouldn't be any difference between the new YOM program for black plates and the older YOM program.

If California hadn't gotten cheap when they introduced the blue-base plates they would have replaced all the existing black-base plates and we wouldn't be having this fascinating discussion!
'69Custom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GeorgeL wrote:
Nitty wrote:

The same applies to '57 through '62. You kept the same yellow-base plate and put renewal stickers on it, just as was done for the later black-base plates. There shouldn't be any difference between the new YOM program for black plates and the older YOM program.

If California hadn't gotten cheap when they introduced the blue-base plates they would have replaced all the existing black-base plates and we wouldn't be having this fascinating discussion!
I don't see that any plates need to be replaced ever, so long as they are legal, servicable, State-issued. If you want to talk about California being cheap, well, its a hell of a lot cheaper to allow us to continue using these plates than be forced to replace them with something modern on a whim. The YOM program would never have been necessary had the State permitted ordinary renewal of legitimate license plates in the first place. The only reason they've permitted it to go into effect now is they realized they could pretty much classify them along the same lines as vanity plates to collect extra fees for their coffers.

1969 Frankenbug
1965 Ford Mustang
tham64 wrote:

www.endlesscustomz.com
GeorgeL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'69Custom wrote:
don't see that any plates need to be replaced ever, so long as they are legal, servicable, State-issued. If you want to talk about California being cheap, well, its a hell of a lot cheaper to allow us to continue using these plates than be forced to replace them with something modern on a whim.

Originally, the states saw fit to replace plates every year even though everyone's license number remained the same. That way everyone had nice fresh, legible plates and it was readily apparent when anyone failed to pay their fees since the background colors changed every year. I still remember getting the big envelopes every December. Almost every barn and shed had a bunch of old plates nailed to the wall. Later on, those same barns and sheds became the source for most of those coveted YOM plates. Junk to treasure!

No YOM program back then either, but if you wanted to put a vintage plate on your vintage car at a show there was nothing stopping you. You just had to switch to the current plates to drive it home.
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'69Custom wrote:
The only reason they've permitted it to go into effect now is they realized they could pretty much classify them along the same lines as vanity plates to collect extra fees for their coffers.

That's not how it happened.
The auto enthusiast got together and had one of your legislators put a Bill forward to get black plates included in the YOM program. Three times your stupid Gov Davis vetoed this bill. Finally, Arne signed it. Each time a new Bill had to be put into play. It was only through repeated perserverance by the car guys that you are allowed to put these plates on your car.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
'69Custom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce wrote:
'69Custom wrote:
The only reason they've permitted it to go into effect now is they realized they could pretty much classify them along the same lines as vanity plates to collect extra fees for their coffers.

That's not how it happened.
The auto enthusiast got together and had one of your legislators put a Bill forward to get black plates included in the YOM program. Three times your stupid Gov Davis vetoed this bill. Finally, Arne signed it. Each time a new Bill had to be put into play. It was only through repeated perserverance by the car guys that you are allowed to put these plates on your car.

Here we go again... Rolling Eyes I really wish you weren't so argumentative and confrontational.

If you're going to dispute my claim, Bruce, then dispute it with some backing. You explained how it came to be, and I don't argue that point. I explained why it came to be. California is broke and nearly bankrupt. Sacramento, the Governator and the legislature don't give a damn about auto enthusiasts desires. They all do care about money. That is why this has happened, and why its happening now. If it weren't about being able to charge us extra fees for the plates, they simply would've opened the doors for us to make use of clear, legal, year-appropriate license plates and permitted them to be re-issued and assigned to a vehicle. There really is not other point to a "Year of Manufacture Program" except to generate revenue from their perspective.

1969 Frankenbug
1965 Ford Mustang
tham64 wrote:

www.endlesscustomz.com
GeorgeL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems that everyone has a bit of "argumentative and confrontational" in them today.

The state isn't about to fix its budget problems by selling YOM registrations to a few thousand enthusiasts at $45 a pop. Nobody at the legislature suddenly stood up and said "Hey, I've got a great idea to make some money! Let's let people use old license plates on their cars and charge them for the privilege!" If the profit motive really was foremost in their minds they wouldn't have given us so many requirements for correct stickers, etc.

The YOM program was done at the request of car hobbyists. The legislature decided that it was in the public interest to allow deviations from the standard license plate scheme for historical purposes. The fee charged pretty much covers the extra labor cost of processing the YOM registration. I doubt the "profit" will buy much hydrogen for Arnold's Hummer.

The place the enthusiasts really blew it was in not writing a "rolling eligibility date" into their legislation. A few years from now folks will want to put blue base plates onto their restored '75s and will need new legislation to make it happen.
'69Custom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hear you George, I just don't think it was done for the "good of the public" so to speak. I can't imagine for a second that this would have passed if there wasn't a money making opportunity in it for the State. Granted, its not a lot of money and won't save the State: $45 up front and then an additional $10 annually. Like I said, its like the vanity plates.

On the other hand, if one wants to consider it as offsetting or reducing costs of the "program," well that would have been easier solved by simplifying the problems that come with the bureaucratic mentality. First, its cheaper and easier to reissue old but clear and legal California plates. It reduces manufacturing costs of new plates. Second, metal year tags to supplement a "year of manufacture" tag (I still don't get the point of that) are just a silly waste in my opinion. I simply see no reason that any license plate that bears the current system of replacing stickers yearly should be registered or managed any differently than any other.

Costs only need offsetting when the "program" created also creates an expense. With the way California operates, it almost seems to me that this process was designed to create an expense to the State, therefore justifying a fee to overcompensate for it.

My whole point here can be made (maybe) by comparing my two vehicles: a 1965 mustang and my 1969 Bug. When I bought both, both had the original black license plates. Because the mustang had sat unregistered for many years, it was out of the system. When I did register it, DMV wouldn't let me use the plates it came with (which is cheaper), but issued me new ones (A greater expense) instead. The bug was still currently registered when I bought it, so I simply transfered it into my name and got new stickers. Simple and cheap. Today I can put my original plates back on my mustang just as they used to be, only now I have to buy a YOM sticker, pay $45 and $10 annually, and then replace a metal tag every year.

Side-by-side there shouldn't be any issue here, both being original, yet one plate will not be original because I had to wait for a "program" to use it again. One will have the usual yearly sticker, and the other a YOM sticker and a metal plate. I only ask why and what for?

I apologize if I'm whining again, but I see this as being way overblown when it should've been the simplest thing to accomplish. No program, no fees, no special stickers or tags. Just re-issue them if they legally qualify. Simple.

1969 Frankenbug
1965 Ford Mustang
tham64 wrote:

www.endlesscustomz.com
GeorgeL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see your point. We could even take it to the point where the government simply issues the number and the owners are responsible for putting the numbers on the vehicles. It works for boats and aircraft!
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

'69Custom wrote:

, the Governator and the legislature don't give a damn about auto enthusiasts desires.

Arne is indeed a bit of a car guy.

If it was all about the increase in revenue, why would Gov Davis veto this bill THREE times?
VolksFire
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the classic story as I understand is that Davis said due to the black plates not containing reflective paint, speed cameras and such cannot read the plates, therefore putting innocent woman and children at risk because the high speeders cannot be caught. Rolling Eyes Laughing
63 Single Cab
67 SO42 Westfalia
73 Thing
76 Kombi
82 Westfalia Deluxe
82 Quantum Coupe
85 Quantum Sedan
85 Quantum Syncro Wagon
96 Golf GL
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VolksFire wrote:
the classic story as I understand is that Davis said due to the black plates not containing reflective paint, speed cameras and such cannot read the plates, therefore putting innocent woman and children at risk because the high speeders cannot be caught. Rolling Eyes Laughing

That was told to him by law inforcement is what I heard.

Bruce, you sure know a lot about California for a Canadian! Wink

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oregon is re-issuing 40,000 sets of the blue/yellow "Pacific Wonderland" plates. Cool

http://www.registerguard.com/csp/cms/sites/web/news/cityregion/16784850-41/story.csp
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Russ Wolfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They have to issues new plates to give the convicts something to build beside office furniture for the government. Rolling Eyes

Gary: OK. Ima poop.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
Jump to:
Page 15 of 17

Jump to: