Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

California Black Plate Bill Hearing Monday, April 9
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 15, 16, 17  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
'69Custom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce wrote:
'69Custom wrote:

the Governator and the legislature don't give a damn about auto enthusiasts desires.

Arne is indeed a bit of a car guy.

If it was all about the increase in revenue, why would Gov Davis veto this bill THREE times?
Two reasons as far as I'm concerned: The State of California wasn't nearly bankrupt and desperate for revenue and Gray Davis is an a$$hole.

GeorgeL wrote:
I can see your point. We could even take it to the point where the government simply issues the number and the owners are responsible for putting the numbers on the vehicles. It works for boats and aircraft!
Aside from my persaonl preference to liking the looks of old license plates, you have an interesting perspective. It isn't a bad idea short of the ramifcations of vehicle ID for law enforcement officers.

1969 Frankenbug
1965 Ford Mustang
:2gunfire: F-U-M-P!
~"I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken." ~The Boss
Please excuse any typos as my iPhone doesn't speak English very well. 
tham64 wrote:
Why tune a big round again and again????? For me.... 1 hour will solve the case Cool

www.endlesscustomz.com
johnnypan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big deal on the black plate issue ...if you want some real trouble with the CA DMV try doing a lien sale on a car...not only do they pull you through a knothole (by some shiftless state employee no less) they treat you like you stole the car...And just think....now that the state is broke they are going to charge more for the privledge of dealing with those clowns...
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crofty wrote:
VolksFire wrote:
the classic story as I understand is that Davis said due to the black plates not containing reflective paint, speed cameras and such cannot read the plates,...

That was told to him by law inforcement is what I heard.

That's what I heard too.

crofty wrote:

Bruce, you sure know a lot about California for a Canadian!

Kinda embarrassing, huh?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GeorgeL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce wrote:
crofty wrote:
VolksFire wrote:
the classic story as I understand is that Davis said due to the black plates not containing reflective paint, speed cameras and such cannot read the plates,...

That was told to him by law inforcement is what I heard.

That's what I heard too.

That's kind of a silly argument considering that those cameras take good pictures of the driver's faces _inside_ the car!

The big law enforcement objection to non-reflective plates is that their "Laser Radar" guns need a retro-reflective plate to work well. That one is more founded in fact. They also use that argument in states where folks want to repeal the requirement for a front license plate.

The geek in me wonders what would happen if I made a license plate frame with a couple of dozen near-IR LEDs surrounding the plate. Not visible to humans, but far brighter than any reflection to a CCD device!
kombisutra
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got a type 21 data plated 09 62

They gonna' let me run Yellow plates?
NiccoHel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GeorgeL wrote:

The geek in me wonders what would happen if I made a license plate frame with a couple of dozen near-IR LEDs surrounding the plate. Not visible to humans, but far brighter than any reflection to a CCD device!

it works. so does a highly reflective spray from phantomplate dot com and a plastic sheet thing from... somewhere else. there is also a company that sells ir-light kits like that.

i wouldn't recommend it, though. the light setup will show up on nearly every camera. all a cop has to do is have an in-car display to notice it, and, from what i've heard, many ca police depts are putting camera systems with in-car displays specifically for running plates. that'd be a fun ticket to talk your way out of.
big wavos
OCTO

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

finally got my registration for my black plates back from dmv yesterday, It took a while, but now my bus has its black plates back on it.
GeorgeL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NiccoHel wrote:
GeorgeL wrote:

it works. so does a highly reflective spray from phantomplate dot com and a plastic sheet thing from... somewhere else. there is also a company that sells ir-light kits like that.

i wouldn't recommend it, though. the light setup will show up on nearly every camera. all a cop has to do is have an in-car display to notice it, and, from what i've heard, many ca police depts are putting camera systems with in-car displays specifically for running plates. that'd be a fun ticket to talk your way out of.

It would be fun to see the cop figure out what vehicle code section prohibits use of lights that can't be seen by humans. After all, it's just part of my automatic garage door opener system! Wink

The camera systems the police departments are currently using are hooked directly to their main computer system and they check every plate that the camera sees without any action by the cop in the car. The stated purpose is to find stolen cars, but the more profitable application is to catch people who haven't paid their registration fees. Those folks just get their tickets in the mail. Big Brother loves you!
sircates
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 69 i would like to register with some black plates but before i go and buy some old black plates does anyone know if the have to be ones that were issued in 69 or can they be anywhere from 63 to 69???
GeorgeL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sircates wrote:
I have a 69 i would like to register with some black plates but before i go and buy some old black plates does anyone know if the have to be ones that were issued in 69 or can they be anywhere from 63 to 69???

Well, if you look back through this thread and the other black-plate thread you'll find lots of points of view, some of them correct.

You could also look at the Vehicle Code. It isn't all that difficult to understand:

http://law.onecle.com/california/vehicle/5004.1.html
kidvintage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

'69Custom wrote:
when I first bought my mustang and registered it in my name, the DMV made me remove my original black plates and install the ugly new white ones 15 years ago. Now, after the original plates were lost in a move or something, DMV is allowing me to use them again... The plates were perfectly legal as original to the car then and it gets my goat a little that I have to jump through their hoops to reuse something that I should've been permitted to use then, and had already on the vehicle when it was purchased.

What were the circumstances where the DMV "made you" install new white plates? I have never heard of this.
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

check this thread. Look at my posts and those are the circumstances the DMV told me and my friends in the club why we could not keep our plates.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=381030
kidvintage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

derluftwagen wrote:
check this thread. Look at my posts and those are the circumstances the DMV told me and my friends in the club why we could not keep our plates.

Yeah, I read what you wrote. But you mention ZERO circumstances.

Was it a lien sale situation?

Salvage title?

Theft recovery?

Maybe you LA guys are just going to that fucked-up DMV in downtown where the people at the counter dont know their ass from page eight?
kidvintage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

derluftwagen wrote:

Here is one of my successful efforts to keep black plates on my newly-aquired cars:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=339497&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
CLASSIC CAR GUY
Transport and Title Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As of 1/12/12 a company called www.licenseplates.tv of which i used many times to always order new metal black plates for my VW's to replace the beat up old orig ones stopped selling re popped plates for the state of California, I was told when i called they got a cease and desist order from the state of Ca. with no explanation why?.
The other plate maker CR8-APL8 (pronounced create a plate) stopped also, I called them and asked why and was told they got news that Calif was putting a bill up for a vote on April 9 to reissue black plates again, Today i found this on the Hemmings page, so it may be happening, pretty cool stuff for classic car guys here in calif!!

http://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/2012/03/26/cali...refer=news
61' Type 1
62' Type 1
64' Type 1
66' Type 1
66' Vert'
67' Type 1

"every one wants to reinvent the wheel, but nobody knows how to make it round"

Vintage Volkswagen Sales and Service as well as Classics and Muslcecars all located here in Phoenix Arizona at www.rpmotorcars.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone know the proceedure about re-reistering an original black plate to the car it came with when new? original registration shows the plate BUT the rub is that the owner only has one plate.

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
CLASSIC CAR GUY
Transport and Title Guru

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crofty wrote:
Anyone know the proceedure about re-reistering an original black plate to the car it came with when new? original registration shows the plate BUT the rub is that the owner only has one plate.

you need a pair to get it done, dmv will not do it with one tag
61' Type 1
62' Type 1
64' Type 1
66' Type 1
66' Vert'
67' Type 1

"every one wants to reinvent the wheel, but nobody knows how to make it round"

Vintage Volkswagen Sales and Service as well as Classics and Muslcecars all located here in Phoenix Arizona at www.rpmotorcars.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GeorgeL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With only one plate they likely won't approve it unless the clerk is really lax.

It looks like the state's scheme to produce new black plates might come off. Here are the current tallies:

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/legacyplates/index.htm

The bad news is that these plates will not be reproductions of the original black plates. They will be reflectorized so as to be visible by enforcement cameras and produced in current fonts and shapes. They will also not be available in original number series, only in a new series (likely one of the unused XXX### or ###XXX series now being used for affinity plates) or in personalized, which were not available at all in the black plate era. None of these would be acceptable on a serious restoration. For those who simply want a kewl black plate it will be fine.

I doubt that they would use a regular #XXX### series plate for the new black plate issue because it would be an open invitation for people to simply repaint a regular series plate, avoiding the yearly fee. I see a few people doing this already, usually on muscle cars. The two I see regularly are driven by people whose look suggests "cop" so I doubt they receive any flack for their repainted plates.
ALLWAGONS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GeorgeL wrote:

The camera systems the police departments are currently using are hooked directly to their main computer system and they check every plate that the camera sees without any action by the cop in the car. The stated purpose is to find stolen cars, but the more profitable application is to catch people who haven't paid their registration fees. Those folks just get their tickets in the mail. Big Brother loves you!

What's wrong with the police catching irresponsible car owners. I pay my DMV fees, why won't they?

I recycle old cars and parts, other than when I rot, that's as Green as I am going to get.

Thanks to my Tesla driving neighbors, I feel more relaxed driving my SUBURBAN and old VW's.

NON INFLUENCER APPROVED
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GeorgeL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ALLWAGONS wrote:
GeorgeL wrote:

What's wrong with the police catching irresponsible car owners. I pay my DMV fees, why won't they?

It took 3-1/2 years to come up with that response? Smile

I suppose that if one was sure that they were absolutely compliant with every single law on the books and OK with a machine being their judge and jury then one won't mind Big Brother enforcement.

I don't see having a project car with expired tags as such a heinous crime. The cameras don't care if it is legally parked off the street or not, they just see a number and run it.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 15, 16, 17  Next
Jump to:
Page 16 of 17

Jump to: