Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Finally got it all together (almost)!!
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kevin77westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 7:20 am    Post subject: Finally got it all together (almost)!! Reply with quote

Thought I'd share my rebuild tale.. I bought this 74 last year and drove it for a couple months till the motor went out and starting slingin oil.. When I went to pull it, I found only 3 bolts holding the motor and 2 were loose Shocked .. Guess that's why it died.. The thrust bearing portion of the case was shot and beyond machining so I rebuilt a 1600SP case as a DP.. I drilled all the right holes except the one for the threaded insert for the bolt in front of the doghouse.. I ended up having to drop it again this weekend, drilled a 9/16" hole and installed the insert. I went ahead and put on a new pressure plate as the old one was flat.. For the rebuild, I was able to clean up the old crank and get it looking pretty.. I went with new mexican heads, some balanced P&Js from aircooled.net, a new camshaft, new oil pump, new oil cooler, new relief valves (hex heads) and had the flywheel resurfaced.. I also pulled the fuel tank and POR15ed it, cleaned out the glogged metal fuel line (the PO had fuel hose running thru the cabin Shocked ), sanded and painted the trunk area (never use Rustoleum for cars! Embarassed ). The CVs were shot so I replaced all 4 with new (man, them new ones are tight!). I also cleaned up the engine compartment a little and installed a new engine seal.. Fun stuff.. The rebuild took longer than expected since I had made some mistakes (first rebuild) and had to redo a few things then I had to wait on some parts/tools a couple of times. But after 6 weeks, it all paid off.. I got her cranked up yesterday!! Sounds great and I can't wait to drive her around. Today I redo the rear brakes (new rear cyl, hoses, shoes) then she will be road ready.. Crappy thing is it just got cold and rainy down here on the coast and my conv top frame needs some work to be usable.. Hopefully I can get her out this week when the weather clears up.. Now I just gotta save up for a Thing muffler.. Here's some pics of the progress..
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

GSD_Master
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I also pulled the fuel tank and POR15ed it, cleaned out the glogged metal fuel line (the PO had fuel hose running thru the cabin

How did you clean out the metal fuel line? I have to clean mine out too because the PO of my Thing did the same thing and ran a rubber fuel line through the cabin.
Ferretkona
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GSD_Master wrote:
How did you clean out the metal fuel line? I have to clean mine out too because the PO of my Thing did the same thing and ran a rubber fuel line through the cabin.

Use a speedometer cable on a drill motor.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
markie61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ferretkona wrote:
GSD_Master wrote:

Use a speedometer cable on a drill motor.

I used an accelerator cable - same difference. Slow speed, minimal pressure. I've also seen the suggestion of acetone for solvent, but didnt try it myself.
Mark
kevin77westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep.. The old acc cabe trick.. The clog was at the bend closest to the tank so it was just a matter of spinning that out.. I followed up with several flushes with ethanol (let it soak a little betwen flushes) till it ran clean then blew it out with comp air..

I went for the inaugural break in drive today.. Drove nice. Motor sounds awsome.. Smells funny, all the paint.. I hate that.. Stops on a dime.. Needs new drums in the near future but for now I'm gonna drive her and enjoy spring.. Here's one of her all gussied up tonight after the drive..
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: