Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Now THAT'S a breather box!
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fun 181
Zu Geil!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 8:44 am    Post subject: Now THAT'S a breather box! Reply with quote

Check out my new crank case breather box.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

3 lines in. 1 from each valve cover and 1 from the oil filler neck. All the lines are SS with polished 8AN fittings. I have small holes drilled in the backof the ammo can for ventilation and a piece of folded air filter foam inside for a filter.

After looking at generic breather boxes from CIP1 and other distributors I checked out some higher end set ups from Gene Berg and his son Clyde Berg. Then I found a thread in the Volksrod forums regarding custom breather boxes and some joker suggested using an old ammo can. Several others chimed in and said they thought it was a great idea, but I don't think anyone went ahead and tried it.

So here you go.

Twisted Evil
Towel Rail
Horizontally Opposed

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha! That's perfect! Cool

049 > 070 > 053 > 009
Ian Epperson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent!

I've been going through my engine compartment lately trying to figure out how I'll get everything to fit - forgot about the breather box! Maybe I'll just punch some holes and mount it by the tranny - boooring! Wink
Here's what I'm working on:
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/86/209337786_ef1c326d97.jpg

Dual carb, serpentine belt, cast fan backing plate... got any more pics of your engine and compartment?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Fun 181
Zu Geil!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are still a few additional odds and ends that need to be taken care of, but here are a couple more pics of the engine.

Before...

and after...

Berg sump, Berg welded fan and Berg full flow oil filter system. I'm also running a pertronix flame thrower II ignition system. For the engine I still need to hook up the digital rev limiter, install the Dakota digital cylinder temp gauge (plus oil temp, oil pressure, tach)and work out some issues with the fuel regulator.

I'll post more pics in a week or two.
npconnor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like your paint job, mine is sort of similar, olive drab looking color...
Ian Epperson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the pics! Looks very slick!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kubelmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to know more about the tri exhaust very Sickkkkkk
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
PIMPPRIDE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kubelmann wrote:
I want to know more about the tri exhaust very Sickkkkkk

we sell those... the fitment is great and its hard to find a better system for the price, let me know if you have any questions, here is our add

Anthony / ISP WEST

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=182538
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kubelmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had a very good experience every time I have had the good fortune to buy parts from you guys. Can you tell me if this system support a 1776 with a single Zenith ndix or a high compression 1915 with dual Delorto 36 carbs. I like it. I want to buy one. Do you guys want to do a group buy? I can get that part together if you wnat ot give say 10 of us a better deal as a group buy. Thing owners swing on the group buy. We are small in numbers but strong in spirit. K-mann
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
lukesky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That stuff looks awesome. I wish I knew what the $*%@ you were talking about... Confused
Fun 181
Zu Geil!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I did get the exhaust from ISP. a.k.a. "Pimppride" from eBay. It was $279 and a smooth transaction.

The exhaust obviously fits on a 2110 although it had to be adjusted out a bit to fit the heads.

I also have matching ceramic coated heater boxes (the good German kind). I forgot where I got them. Either CIP1 or Mid America. Probably around $400 for the pair. I see ISP has them too.

The whole exhaust system has been replaced, but I'm still getting exhaust smell in the car (with the top and windows up). Not as bad as the old stock set up, but still quite noticable - i.e. headache after a long drive. I want to add some exhaust tips and try and angle the fumes down and away from the car.

Did I mention that it is LOUD?
I like it.
Ian Epperson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fun 181 wrote:
I'm still getting exhaust smell in the car (with the top and windows up).

Perhaps it's leaking into the engine compartment? Is your decklid modified with louvers or do you run with it open? Are the side muffs modified with additional openings? Do you have all the sealing tin around the engine? I see the side tins, but I don't see the rear tin and can't see the forward tin in your pictures.
Ferretkona
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My experience tells me old/well used motor. They really spew a rich fuel odor.
You might want to get a professional tune up, a really badly tuned up motor will stink up the cab.

The exhaust on Things are just plain loud, get over it, lol.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Fun 181
Zu Geil!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just did a search on "Thing exhaust fumes" and see that this topic was recently discussed.

The big concern here is carbon monoxide poisoning on a long (or even short) drive. Headaches are a mild symptom. More severe symptoms can be quite unpleasant - i.e. death.

Since the engine, transaxle, exhaust system and all other components are brand new I think the issue is the short tail pipes. The engine only has about 60 miles on it, and just came out of the shop last week where it was built.

The decklid and side muffs haven't been modified or cut. The engine compartment seals are all new and all the tin is new and in place.

Over the years I've noticed that same exhaust smell while riding in older convertibles regardless of make or model. I have even smelled it when driving in my '97 4Runner with the back window down.

I have to assume that the air flow over the vehicle is carrying a lot of the exhaust up and back into the car. With all the open gaps in the Thing's top it's not surprising that fumes are getting in even with the top up.

I'm hoping that longer exhaust tips (pointing down) will help the situation.

Perhaps I can fabricate some out of an 81mm mortar shell casing!
Laughing
lukesky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you getting exhaust smell or fuel smell? With mine buttoned up, it smelled like you were driving an empty gas can. I put new filler hoses on the tank and it took care of the problem. They didn't look bad from the outside, but once I took them off, I could see that they were rotted.
Fun 181
Zu Geil!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I first got the car I could smell both gas and exhaust! The exhaust smell was pretty bad. After a short drive I could smell the fumes in my clothes for hours afterward. And the gas smell... P.U. The first time I filled up the tank the smell was so bad it was like I was swimming in gasoline.

I have since replaced ALL the fuel lines near the tank (the little breather lines to the charcoal filter and the larger filler hoses) and can't smell any gas at all. It was just like you said, the lines looked O.K., but once removed you could see the rot. Replacing them did the trick.

The exhaust smell isn't nearly as bad as it was, but it's still there. The headache was the real tip off.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: