Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Vert semaphore question
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
HeSa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a believer. The two on the left have VW logos and part numbers L 143.001-2. They fit the cabrio boxes so I have no problems using them.
b/r Heikki
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
johnshenry Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HeSa wrote:
I am a believer. The two on the left have VW logos and part numbers L 143.001-2. They fit the cabrio boxes so I have no problems using them.
b/r Heikki
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Very interesting. But it seems real odd that a sem could have the same part number (L 143.001-2) and yet have two different designs. Doesn't it? I have at least one pair that are numbered L 143.001-2 and are "regular" kind. That, and as was stated earlier, the fact that there is apparently NO VW or SWF literature that shows them. It could have been a retro fit "kit" to simplify the lens? Maybe since the sems were down lower on the 'verts, they got broken more often? and the kit was sold as an "improved " (and less expensive) design?

I dunno, just a thought....

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
IN2VWS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is some SWF literature from a 1958 catalog.
http://www.in2vws.com/images//stahlgruber_1958%20210.jpg
http://www.in2vws.com/images//stahlgruber_1958%20211.jpg
http://www.in2vws.com/images//stahlgruber_1958%20212.jpg
http://www.in2vws.com/images//stahlgruber_1958%20213.jpg
⨴⨵--⊗--⨴⨵ 𝕊ℙ𝟚¹⁹⁷³
𝟵_𝟭_𝟰¹⁹⁷³
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IN2VWS wrote:
Here is some SWF literature from a 1958 catalog.
http://www.in2vws.com/images//stahlgruber_1958%20210.jpg
http://www.in2vws.com/images//stahlgruber_1958%20211.jpg
http://www.in2vws.com/images//stahlgruber_1958%20212.jpg
http://www.in2vws.com/images//stahlgruber_1958%20213.jpg

Interesting, thanks for posting.

Is there anything there that would tell what ones were used by VW? I see only what looks like SWF product/part #s. Model numbers seem to be a function of length.

???

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I see the car makes in the listings now, second page, 2nd down on the left is a VW "smoothie...."

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
IN2VWS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also on the first page....bottom right hand corner
⨴⨵--⊗--⨴⨵ 𝕊ℙ𝟚¹⁹⁷³
𝟵_𝟭_𝟰¹⁹⁷³
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IN2VWS wrote:
Also on the first page....bottom right hand corner

Ahh, separate sem for the Kabs, but is still looks like a smoothie (it was a lower profile, post ribbededs though, right?). What year is this catalog? Do you see any "wrap arounds" in the listings? I'm not sure I do (at least for the VW ones....)

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
Splitdog
Samba Split Personality

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, what's the bottom line? They used the wrap arounds for '49 and '50 cabriolets? Confused

Z = z² + C

Der Blitzkrieg Kafers

#notacallooker
IN2VWS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This might help ID some of the different semaphores that people might have.
I have scans from all the 1950's catalogs that I have that had semaphores in them. There is a few more boxes of catalogs to go through, if I find more I will add them also. Here is the link:
http://www.in2vws.com/index.php?option=com_easygallery&task=category&cid=61&Itemid=30
⨴⨵--⊗--⨴⨵ 𝕊ℙ𝟚¹⁹⁷³
𝟵_𝟭_𝟰¹⁹⁷³
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IN2VWS wrote:
This might help ID some of the different semaphores that people might have.
I have scans from all the 1950's catalogs that I have that had semaphores in them. There is a few more boxes of catalogs to go through, if I find more I will add them also. Here is the link:
http://www.in2vws.com/index.php?option=com_easygallery&task=category&cid=61&Itemid=30

Wow, what a great site! What a great reference. I see some DKW sems that are the wraparound kind, but again no VW ones like that. Perhaps the DKW style arms and lenses were retrofitted on many cabs for some reason? Although it looks like they are 165mm long and not 160 mm like the VW sedan ones. Hmmm, could that be it? Anyone have an example of both?

IS THE WRAPAROUND KIND 5MM LONGER THAN THE SEDAN KIND IN THE ARM? Perhaps it filled the opening of the box used in the early cabs better?

[Again, just some theories.....]

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
51Kabriolet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bengt H wrote:
My november -50 vert had one of these swf semaphores (now I have found two in very good condition) I have seen two more late -50 and early -51 who had them. They are deffinitly not something that somebody modified, btw where would they get the arms, newer seen them somewhere else. I dont say that all split vert had them but some deffinitly.

Btw the swf should have red clothes around the electrical magnet as John said (mine has) .

Bengt

Reviving an old thread - As has been discussed on this and a few other threads - there seem to be 2 camps: The First Camp contends that all split era verts used the same semaphore as the sedans. The Second Camp contends there were a small number of split era verts that had the kabrio-specific semaphore (wraparound lense).

I have a question for those in the Second Camp: For those of you who have witnessed examples of early verts with the unique semaphore, what is the latest known example in terms of month/year? There is a suggestion in Bengt's response as well as others that it was no later than early 1951. Does anyone know of an example in mid to late 1951 or possibly even in 1952 (pre 10/52 when the Zwitter started)?
51Kabriolet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

51Kabriolet wrote:
Bengt H wrote:
My november -50 vert had one of these swf semaphores....I dont say that all split vert had them but some deffinitly....Bengt

Reviving an old thread . . . . I have a question for those in the Second Camp: For those of you who have witnessed examples of early verts with the unique semaphore, what is the latest known example in terms of month/year? There is a suggestion in Bengt's response as well as others that it was no later than early 1951. Does anyone know of an example in mid to late 1951 or possibly even in 1952 (pre 10/52 when the Zwitter started)?

I guess its prettly lame to quote yourself, but I am bumping this thread again to see if anyone has any feedback to my question posed in May.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

51Kabriolet wrote:
51Kabriolet wrote:
Bengt H wrote:
My november -50 vert had one of these swf semaphores....I dont say that all split vert had them but some deffinitly....Bengt

Reviving an old thread . . . . I have a question for those in the Second Camp: For those of you who have witnessed examples of early verts with the unique semaphore, what is the latest known example in terms of month/year? There is a suggestion in Bengt's response as well as others that it was no later than early 1951. Does anyone know of an example in mid to late 1951 or possibly even in 1952 (pre 10/52 when the Zwitter started)?

I guess its prettly lame to quote yourself, but I am bumping this thread again to see if anyone has any feedback to my question posed in May.

I have a pair of them at home, let me see if the date code is readable....

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
51Kabriolet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks John - that would be great.
Vw1200DeLuxe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

can somebody help me to identify this pair?
is there a chance to can use it for karmann cabrio?
there is no logo or numbers on it.
i know that were a lot of other cars with semaphore...but can be identify that in what car was used this pair?

photo:
http://imagerz.com/QE5PXUtvAwMCUF1ORwVR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vw1200DeLuxe wrote:
can somebody help me to identify this pair?
is there a chance to can use it for karmann cabrio?
there is no logo or numbers on it.
i know that were a lot of other cars with semaphore...but can be identify that in what car was used this pair?

photo:
http://imagerz.com/QE5PXUtvAwMCUF1ORwVR

Bottom line is that if there is no VW logo or part number on it, it is now a vert VW sem.

I have in my possession a true VW vert sem, date coded and all. Late now, but I will post pics in this thread next day or two.

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
bally
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnshenry wrote:

I have in my possession a true VW vert sem, date coded and all. Late now, but I will post pics in this thread next day or two.

Hi John,

did you ever get around to photographing this semaphore? I cannot se a response. Even though it is some time later I would still be very interested to see the picture and date code if you found it.

Cheers,

Dave
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
peter schepens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could it be that the wrapped sema's are used or changed by the owners after they broke the og ones... See: car is running, sema is out, you open the door en get out...Dang, the sema is bend. So ; you find a stronger type to avoid this. Just my toughts.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bally wrote:
johnshenry wrote:

Hi John,

did you ever get around to photographing this semaphore? I cannot se a response. Even though it is some time later I would still be very interested to see the picture and date code if you found it.

Cheers,

Dave

Actually I don't have that sem. I thought it was original, but I just started restoring it as part of a lot of 13 that are all owned by the same person. I think there are pics of it maybe in the Zarwerks Spy Cam thread.

I found that it was a non-VW wrap around arm/lens, but trans planted into an SHO grooved sem/body and coil. So I am still not convinced that VW ever used any wrap around sems in production.

Most of the wraparound ones you see are actually about 1.5cm longer than the pocket in the B pillar is anyway. A VW sem is 175mm, most of them are about 190. Wouldn't even fit...

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
oldsplitvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peter schepens wrote:
Could it be that the wrapped sema's are used or changed by the owners after they broke the og ones... See: car is running, sema is out, you open the door en get out...Dang, the sema is bend. So ; you find a stronger type to avoid this. Just my toughts.

Sounds like a very reasonable possibility. As John said the arms are a little longer; they do require some modification to fit the SWF unit, including notching the top of the arm so it will fit in the sema box.

There have been a handful of photos of unrestored split convertibles with the wrap around style arm, but does anyone have any proof that they were on the car when it left the factory? Or possibly a common replacement as Peter suggested?

I would be very interested in any information anyone might have. I love the history of all the little details on these cars.

Will
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: