Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Engine Cover Mats
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
amishman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 11:01 am    Post subject: Engine Cover Mats Reply with quote

Is there supposed to be a thin carpeted (or some material) mat that goes over the engine bay? Not the matress as I already have that but a thinner mat of some kind that protects the matress from engine heat I guess?

Just curious if there supposed to me a mat of some kind or does the normal thick mattress the only one from VW?

tj

Come visit my web site!
http://www.vwhippie.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EricD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think so. I've seen some posts of people adding sound-deadening reflective insulation between the lid and the mattress. We pulled out the mattress because it so happens that our bouldering crash pad fits perfectly and is the same thickness for the bed. Saves space of one very bulky item for climbing trips. I often pull the pad out to use for climbing immediately after a mountain drive with the engine working hard...no ill effects.
McVanagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my GL, I have the mattress pad, then in between that and the engine lid, there is a thin piece of sorts.

It is carpet colored on the top, and some sort of grey insulation surface on the underside. It attaches to the floor with Velcro squares at the rear.

Is this what you were talking about?

Westcoast metric has something called "carpet rear cargo area"

~Mike
View user's profile Send private message Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aviatorjames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, there is a heavy felt pad that covers the engine deck.
The foam mattress pad sits on top of it.
Not sure if any vendors carry them or not, but a suitable alternative would be easy to find.

Try these guys...
Van-Cafe
Bus Depot
The Bus Lab

amishman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

McVanagon wrote:
On my GL, I have the mattress pad, then in between that and the engine lid, there is a thin piece of sorts.

It is carpet colored on the top, and some sort of grey insulation surface on the underside. It attaches to the floor with Velcro squares at the rear.

Is this what you were talking about?

Westcoast metric has something called "carpet rear cargo area"

~Mike

Yup.

Mostly curious if VW had one from factory or if it was after-market options.

tj

Come visit my web site!
http://www.vwhippie.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just went to a local auto store and bought a piece of trunk carpet mat. It has a rubber backing and I trimmed it to size. $15
It's also good to lay on the ground as a mat if you have to look at something under the car on the side of the road. I don't think there were ever any factory parts for this.
izzydog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TJ--I covered my engine area and lid in sound deadener and then used a piece of silver bubble insulation from a 4 ft roll to make a piece to cover the area under the mattress. It adds a little insulation and works as a cheapo waterproof ground sheet if I need to crawl under the van in less than optimum weather. I had the 4 ft roll of silver bubblewrap from doing the walls of the van when I had my interior out. Always makes me think of "Lost in Space" though.

Jeff
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bucko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

izzydog wrote:
TJ--I covered my engine area and lid in sound deadener and then used a piece of silver bubble insulation from a 4 ft roll to make a piece to cover the area under the mattress. It adds a little insulation and works as a cheapo waterproof ground sheet if I need to crawl under the van in less than optimum weather. I had the 4 ft roll of silver bubblewrap from doing the walls of the van when I had my interior out. Always makes me think of "Lost in Space" though.

Jeff

I like the "bubble wrap" idea under the bed cushion. This way if/when I have gas at night and the wife complains, I can just tell her that it's not me, but the bubble wrap poping..... Wink

Past VW drives: 1967 Beetle, 1973 Beetle, 1977 Bus, 1971 Military Type 181
msinabottle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:21 pm    Post subject: What I Used Reply with quote

I bought and cut to fit some 3/16" neoprene sheeting. That did a lot to quiet the noise and I think it keeps some of the heat out of the cab. It is a thought to think about gluing some Reflectix insulation on the mat, but I don't think it would add too much. The rubber's worn very, very well.

Best!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 85 did not have the felt. I took it out of my 89 parts van. Not sure if it makes a difference or not, though.

I think later vans had it.

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use a 3'x4' rubber doormat with the fuzz on one side. Dual purpose, prevents some heat and sound transmission (in theory) and I throw it in front the slider when camping.

Lundy
JunkYarDog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought they all came with the insulated carpet over the rear deck.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: