Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Better convertible top?
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ian Epperson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:01 am    Post subject: Better convertible top? Reply with quote

I have a few co-workers that have convertibles, and every single one of them has an easier time with their tops. I envy they guy that can push a button on his dash to drop the top - but the rest of them can flip up or down the top with one hand at a stop sign.

The Thing top is fussy - putting it up or down properly is a 2 person, 5 minute job. More if you put on the guards and covers. With the minimal hardware actually connecting it to the vehicle, it seems like an afterthought. Carbriolet tops are much better designed - what gives?

Has anyone designed a better top? Are there shops out there that manufacture custom tops that are easier to deal with than the original?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GSD_Master
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Volkswagen ever makes a New Thing like they made a New Beetle and a New Bus, they might end up fixing this problem. My guess is that your co-workers cars are not 30+ years old. The good thing is that there is nothing that can't be made with enough time resources and money! Smile
FreakCitySF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two seemingly easy fixes would hugely improve the Thing's top.

Make it convertable without having to undo the side and rear straps.

Meaning make the new tops designed with a little slack in the right spots.

My old top would folded straight down and was really convenient and looked really good. I've seriously considered buying a old top so i can enjoy my car again. I haven't used my new top since I got it. Has to be reasonably clean before I even think of putting it down. And then I need to find a helper to clumisly ask to follow my moves to roll the top under itself.

This should be a patented idea but

Make the convertable rear window removable. Using zip lock like connections all the way around. Get to replace it whenever you want. Sport it like a bikinni top, clean the window sepparately. Convenience.

What do you guys think? Good idea?

Last edited by FreakCitySF on Wed Apr 11, 2007 3:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ian Epperson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It'd have to be a waterproof zipper, but I like it!

I found this manufacturer this morning while poking around for custom shops:

http://www.convertibletopguys.com/cgi-local/displaycat.cgi?cat=859

Nice canvas top, low price. Since they likely build each one upon ordering, I wonder if they could make the window a zip-out option. After paying the appropriate patent license fees to FreakCitySF of course Wink

I also wonder that if it's canvas, would you have to remove the side tabs before lowering?

I wonder if I can fabricate a pneumatic system to raise the top enough to make it a quick one person job to put up. If there were some kind of latch to hold it down, it could be a quick take-down too. Very complex. Maybe if I figure it out and build one I could patent it too!

Laughing More likely, I'll just post about it here.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
FreakCitySF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do they make water proof zippers though?

I think the thicker canvas top would be the only tops thick enough to handle sewn in zippers or zip lock "locks". I had asked a car upholstry place about replacing the rear window once and asked them if I could get a zippered window on it. Said the material was too thin. But I'm sure there are ways around it.

I use to fold my top straight back without undoing the sides. I'd stand on the lowered rear seats and it was a 30 second job!

The new convertable tops are just too tight to fold the tops straight back.

The old tops had enough slack where you could just fold it back.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ian Epperson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick search of waterproof zippers turned up:

http://www.tizip.com/
http://www.subzipper.com/

TiZip says that metal waterproof zippers are stronger. Couldn't find any suppliers of metal waterproof zippers though.
Woreign
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ordered from the "convertibletopguys" before when I owned a Triumph Spitfire. The top was very nice.

I'm confused with their curtain pricing... What does a set mean? All four? Two? If so, that's a great price!
kuebelwagen84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FreakCitySF wrote:
Do they make water proof zippers though?

I think the thicker canvas top would be the only tops thick enough to handle sewn in zippers or zip lock "locks". I had asked a car upholstry place about replacing the rear window once and asked them if I could get a zippered window on it. Said the material was too thin. But I'm sure there are ways around it.

I use to fold my top straight back without undoing the sides. I'd stand on the lowered rear seats and it was a 30 second job!

The new convertable tops are just too tight to fold the tops straight back.

The old tops had enough slack where you could just fold it back.

You could always try to reinforce the area around the zipper with more fabric, that's the way it works on clothes anyway (my thing has... er had, a hard top and I haven't been exposed to a stock top so I really don't know)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kuebelwagen84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woreign wrote:
I ordered from the "convertibletopguys" before when I owned a Triumph Spitfire. The top was very nice.

I'm confused with their curtain pricing... What does a set mean? All four? Two? If so, that's a great price!

according to the page (at the very bottom):
THE CURTAINS ARE A SET OF ALL FOUR WITH THE FRONT WIND WINGS WITH VELCRO FOR ATTACHMENT. YOU MUST RETAIN AND RE-USE THE ORIGINAL METAL FRAMES.

I'm actuallly thinking about those curtains now myself
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mstatedog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a new top and frame from the Thing Shop and don't have to undo the rear and side straps. I can also manage to put it up and down by myself if needed....but it is easier with 2 people.

No...I can't fold it down at a stop light like the miata I once had.....but like mentioned the car is 30+ years old.

dog
lukesky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I manage to put the top up and down by myself and fold it without too much trouble. I pull the top off the sides of the body, but not the back. Then I lift from just behind the front frame joint until the top is almost sticking straight up. Then bend the frame at that same joint so the header bow drops almost straight down to the back deck. Maybe it helps that I have a roll cage that keeps the frame from twisting. Each time I try to fold up the top and wrap it around the frame, it winds up looking a little different, but I just make sure it doesn't get pinched in the frame.

I just got a new top from Convertible Specialties, but I haven't installed it yet. If it's tighter, it may defeat the whole thing.

I also try not to drive it if the weather won't let me have the top down, anyhow. It's much more fun that way.
Thingggg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about a boat top place, they do a lot of custom work and almost all windows zip in and out on boats. They could probably do a snap and zipper side curtin setup also for air tight top.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: