Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Looking for a '74 passanger side mirror!
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
klokard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 3:18 pm    Post subject: Looking for a '74 passanger side mirror! Reply with quote

I have had a WTB ad in Thing parts for a month now with no help. I need a passanger side mirror for a '74 (long arm). I now have 2 nice '73 mirrors from good intention sellers but they are incorrect. Even if it's just the frame and no glass, I'll make it work. Short of finding one, what do others do to see out of the R/S mirror? Thanks in advance.
Ferretkona
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see,eeeee nothing!

I bought a pair of 74 mirrors and the right one needs new glass.
One of these days I will get around to cutting some glass for it, or find someone who will.
I have had plenty of cars without right hand mirrors, easy to look over my right shoulder. My only problem is backing into the garage along side a older car.

I think Kubelman sells the adapter in stainless steel for using bus mirrors on our 181's.

Last edited by Ferretkona on Thu Apr 12, 2007 4:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Ian Epperson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe that the threads for the mirrors between '73 and '74 are also different. I've got the Thing Shop door hinge mirror mounts on mly '73, and my mirrors have a different thread.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ztnoo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=367512

Other possible solutions:

http://www.thethingshop.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=181857502SSR

http://germanmotorworks.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=1_42_52&products_id=268
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Al Capulco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the Thing Shop sells the "Long Arm" mirror new. I saw them at a show a couple of years ago. They are not cheap. But they did look good.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
J Flare
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I talked to Larry from the Thing shop last year at the Classic and he was not very happy with the durabilty of the 74 passenger side mirrors they sell.

Joe
klokard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 10:01 pm    Post subject: I AM GETTING DESPERATE. Reply with quote

O.K. SOMEONE HAS TO HAVE A USEABLE '74 RIGHT SIDE MIRROR THEY'D BE WILLING TO SELL. I'M WILLING TO GO ABOVE A HUNDY FOR A GOOD USED ONE. ANYBODY? PLEASE!
pjmacua
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello

If you're not in a hurry, I think that I can help you.

I should get soon (next week maybe) some NOS right side mirrors, chromed, with the extra long arm.

They are different from the right mirrors with the extension.
The arm is clearly longer and it is in one piece.

Price should be about 70 or 75 euros + shipping.

Regards
Pierre-J MACUA
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kubelmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to ztnoo for posting the link to my efforts in a quality machining of the oe 73 mirror extension. BUT the 74 has an extension that is different for the passenger side. I am currently tooling up to make another run of the extensions. BUT I have no data for the length of the 74 passenger side extension. All my Things have been 73. I have never had a 74.. I would love to create some 74 extensions in this next run. BUT I need data.... If you got the data or can take a measure, please share.

About the threads. There is a big supply of bus/Thing aftermarket mirrors that among other faults have a dfferent shaft thread. It is not a matter of 73 vs 74, it is a matter of afermarket shit vs oe parts. The other fault of the after market mirrors is that it takes very little time before the aftermarket ball joint on the mirror develops a lazy sag. Then the mirror drops with every movement of the car.. You get what you pay for and you get what you deserve if you do not do your parts source research prior to purchase. [/i]
Ferretkona
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kmann

I went out and measured my right hand mirror and the extension is 2" long. Do you need any other measurements?

Anyone have a lead on replacement glass for the heads?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
kubelmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You send me any mirror with defective mirror glass. i send it back with new 21st century mirror glass installed for exact return shipping cost and exact cost to replace mirror glass. This is way cheaper than any other solution to bad mirror glass. I am unable to tell you how many mirrors I have put back into decades of services for far less than the cost of a crummy aftermarket replacement.
kubelmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My extensions are the same length. So this supports my theory. The passenger side on a 74 Thing is not the same as any other mirror. I suspect I can lengthen my extension and make a mirror the same length as the 74 pasenger side mirror. I suspect they used a mirror with a longer arm.. Send me a picture of an oe 74 passenger side mirror
Ian Epperson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kubelmann wrote:
About the threads. There is a big supply of bus/Thing aftermarket mirrors that among other faults have a dfferent shaft thread. It is not a matter of 73 vs 74, it is a matter of afermarket shit vs oe parts.

I've got the brass door-hinge mirror mounts from The Thing Shop on my '73 - I bought them several years ago. When I took my mirrors off the doors and threaded them into the mount, the mirrors' threads collapsed - the left one stayed in place for years, but the right one never fit properly. I though it was an issue with an old part, so back when TU was trustworthy, they sent me a set of replacements for the mirror (nut? bolt? It's the bit that screws into the body that the bottom of the shaft connects to). Anyway, I carefully cleaned all the threads and carefully threaded the new parts in - and the threads collapsed again! The threads are just slightly different, and the mirror's metal is softer.

So, either the Thing Shop parts have the correct threads and I've only tried aftermarket mirrors (and the mirrors were not fitting properly to begin with - which is likely) or the Thing Shop's mount has aftermarket threads and the original mirrors don't fit it.

I'll measure what I've got tonight. K-mann, do you have anything to measure the correct mirror thread?
kubelmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you talking about the large threaded sleeve that threads into the door? Or the threads where the extension and mirror attach? Yes I can measure threads and thread pitch.
uberautowerks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

-The threads are 16mm x 1.5 n both '73 and '74 Things, Bay windows, Beetles, Type 3's and 4's.
-
-I have an expensive tap in that size just for cleaning bunged up threads and correcting Thing shops mounts!
-
-Also the right side mirror has a longer "diagonal" arm with the effect as to put the mirror head further away from the body so you can see better. In the end... You can't.
--- The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at and repair.
- Douglas Adams -
---
'74 Thing (White)
'71 Single cab (White too)
'70 Weekender (White three)
'05 Evolution VIII (White also!!!)
'68 F-250 (White over black)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ian Epperson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The threads in the door.

I just went and measured them, and they are identical - 1.5 pitch on both the body and the mirror. So, I don't know what the hell is wrong Confused

Maybe I just have to run a tap through it or something. I spent half an hour cleaning the threads before my last try, only to end up with the brand-new mirror's nut strip out.
kubelmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I agree. I measured and found it to be 1.5 also. BUT I found two old nasty sleeves that had threads that would not go into the door threads i was playing with. So I suspect that IF the threads are nasty it will crunch up the mirror part. What part do you need? I have been working on the mirror issue for a while and have a parts.
warrant_nielsen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I got my Thing I ordered stainless hinge-mirror mounts from The Thing Shop. Then off of Ebay I got stainless mirror extensions onto which I added bus mirrors and everything works GREAT! (and tightensup) This was probably a much more expensive way to go but it worked.

1959 - Bug
1974 - Type 181 Acapulco Thing
1982 - VW Diesel Caddy Pickup
2004 – New Beetle Convertible ‘Mellow Yellow’

1966 Bug, 66-67-68 Bug Convertible, 68 Bug, 70 Bug, 72 Bay Window Camper Van.
Diesels – 80 Rabbit, 82 Rabbit, 84 Golf, 86 Jetta, 2000 Jetta ‘TDI’, 2002 Jetta ‘TDI’, 2006 Jetta ‘TDI’ … [/url]
kubelmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still suspect that everyone will be better off installing hinge mirror mounts using my extensions on bus mirrors. I have NEW Hagus Bus mirrors and am tooling up a new run of extensions... (PS) where do you think the "other" folks get their hagus mirrors.. Uberworks already gave you a hint. i know where the German pipeline enters the US and it ain't in Garden Grove or Chandler.. Larry does have a good supply of some low dollar aftermarket mirrors.. why else would he drop the price to $60...
klokard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 8:44 pm    Post subject: Hinge mount mirror Reply with quote

Kubelman,
Doesn't a hinge mount put the mirror in the same place it already is on a '74? I understand the hinge mounts for a '73 but what advantage is gained by putting them on a '74? Also, don't the extensions just raise the mirror? I need to move mine out away from the windshield frame to see out of all the mirror. Please clear this up for me as I am now beyond desperate as I have only 1 lead on an OEM '74 mirror from PJ.

Charlie
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: