Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Center Console Ideas
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
thomast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 1:11 pm    Post subject: Center Console Ideas Reply with quote

Looking for ideas on a center console between the front seats. I've got the standard little crappy plastic cup holder with slots for cds and loose change. I'd like something more substantial and useful.

Does anyone have pictures of what they've done?

Thanks
cheekoman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not really a center console, but I didn't want to block the walk-through. So, I built this cupholder / console that sits on the dash well and is removeable with just velcro.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ChesterKV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice tray but isn't it a hazard if you're in an accident (knock on wood)? I'm afraid the velcro wouldn't be strong enough.
1992 Subaru Legacy EJ22 boxer motor installed.... van is now sold.... currently playing with a 1987 Toyota MR2 with 1.6 liter twin-cam motor. Better than the Subaru boxers....... I'm impressed. Well, okay, in an "apples and oranges" kind of way. Smile
airkooledchris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did about the same to mine, although I screwed mine directly into the metal dash so it couldn't pop out of place when stopping suddenly.

no, drilling into the dash doesn't bother me. =)

amishman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Center Console Ideas Reply with quote

thomast wrote:
Looking for ideas on a center console between the front seats. I've got the standard little crappy plastic cup holder with slots for cds and loose change. I'd like something more substantial and useful.

Does anyone have pictures of what they've done?

Thanks

Here is what I have between the seats. Got it at KMart last year. Around $70. Plugs into cig lighter so it can keep drinks cool or food hot. Has both settings. Has cup holders too and looks rugged. I think it matched my Syncro nicely. Works for me.

Seats still swivel fine also. Rubber bottom holds nicely to floor so no slipping around.

tj

Come visit my web site!
http://www.vwhippie.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a Wolf center console that holds all the stuff I need, cd cases, junk, and has cup holders. It's about $100 (spendy) but has been worth every penny. The large compartment holds four 72 count cd cases. Comes in different colers. Mine is black.

Last edited by PDXWesty on Wed Apr 18, 2007 4:26 pm; edited 2 times in total
JunkYarDog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is what I use. You can keep a few drinks cold or hot inside the main compartment. It is 12V and works well if everything is cold or hot when put it. I think it was $40-50 at Walmart.
lovedavdubs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

airkooledchris wrote:
I did about the same to mine, although I screwed mine directly into the metal dash so it couldn't pop out of place when stopping suddenly.
no, drilling into the dash doesn't bother me. =)

Me to.Wink I used velcro though. I used so much that I think if I ever hit anything the tray would tare the dash free Laughing

I missed the center stool my 76 had so I got another to go between my front seats. I'm planning on modifying and recovering it to match my interior in the future. I want to build it out into a box. Unfortunately the box type to these stools made by Westy in the 70s is too wide and interferes with the e-brake. I will have to put some sort of notch in mine.
camp.okanagan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: Center Console Ideas Reply with quote

I've been looking through the different threads and have started to draw up what I wanted. I currently have a big bulky plastic one that slides around and is aways in the way. I'm hoping to build something small that holds cups and my phone/other small items.

I started with a sketch - then drew it to scale. I just built a cardboard prototype to put in the van to see if we like it before we start with wood. Here's my prototype so far.

After looking at this in the van the cup holder part needs to move back an inch and I think I may add two more cup holders so we can both have coffee and water? There's not much to this but we didn't want to fill the whole center part since our dog enjoys sitting there and we have the seats swivelled while camping.

Happy for any feedback![/img]
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: Center Console Ideas Reply with quote

continue it up to the front - you'll need to remove it to pull the cover panel to access heater hoses, etc. but you'll have a cleaner install and more space for 'stuff'
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Center Console Ideas Reply with quote

camp.okanagan wrote:
I've been looking through the different threads and have started to draw up what I wanted. I currently have a big bulky plastic one that slides around and is aways in the way. I'm hoping to build something small that holds cups and my phone/other small items.

I started with a sketch - then drew it to scale. I just built a cardboard prototype to put in the van to see if we like it before we start with wood. Here's my prototype so far.

After looking at this in the van the cup holder part needs to move back an inch and I think I may add two more cup holders so we can both have coffee and water? There's not much to this but we didn't want to fill the whole center part since our dog enjoys sitting there and we have the seats swivelled while camping.

Happy for any feedback![/img]

Close the space behind the shift boot and use that space to make your 3rd & 4th cup holder.
Now, that area around the shift boot will simply collect crap and vanish ending up under your feet.
I would make a second shift boot that fastens to the console, sags down and then rises again drawstring tying to the round lever. A marble bag almost but easily removed and cleaned.
In this "bag" go all those odd bits that roll about and get underfoot. Chapstick, nail clippers, cell phone, mints, change, whatever. In essence an organized mess.... a junk drawer.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
the joker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: Center Console Ideas Reply with quote

please note, stuff you build and attach to your factory dash, is not only dangerous in the event of an accident, they are illegal in most states, Shocked

state troopers , like in VT Exclamation , love to pull you over for stuff on the rear view m and to much stuff on the dash BTDT

just things to think ahead about Idea
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
human compass
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Center Console Ideas Reply with quote

this is the vanagonlife console with the addition of a custom shifter conscole. The vanagonlife console is bomber.
calo1956
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Center Console Ideas Reply with quote

Heres what i got goin on. No full console because i like to be able to walk through. On long trips, i pull the front table between the seats, i cut app 6 inches off the table leg, so its the perfect height for me to rest my arm on. And if i ever want it back at factory height, i just drop the cut off in first , and good to go!

RoryGirl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Center Console Ideas Reply with quote

I like this one
http://vanagongeek.blogspot.com/2017/08/center-console-project.html

Lots of ideas here
https://www.vanagonhacks.com/index.php?s=console
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Center Console Ideas Reply with quote

3D Printer time!
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Center Console Ideas Reply with quote

camp.okanagan wrote:

...looks like how I modded the $15 GoWesty console, but allowing more room for front-to-back walk-through:

Cool

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
michaelbteam Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: Center Console Ideas Reply with quote

Not as "pretty" as some, and expensive, but so functional.
Vashon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Center Console Ideas Reply with quote

Not sure if these have been mentioned . If you are not of the walk to the front from the side door crowd. If not. then these work rather well. I have used mine for 4 years and still enjoy it. they have an 12 volt socket inside. 4 cup holders, prtty good quality construction and the entire console will slide backwards for use in the rear, it also easly snaps off its base for cleaning or if you just want it out of the way. and the price is right with a liite looking around. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Console-Front-Floor-Sales...2662533755
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:02 am    Post subject: Re: Center Console Ideas Reply with quote

Vashon wrote:
Not sure if these have been mentioned . If you are not of the walk to the front from the side door crowd. If not. then these work rather well. I have used mine for 4 years and still enjoy it. they have an 12 volt socket inside. 4 cup holders, prtty good quality construction and the entire console will slide backwards for use in the rear, it also easly snaps off its base for cleaning or if you just want it out of the way. and the price is right with a liite looking around. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Console-Front-Floor-Sales...2662533755

If you go this route ^^^ (I did using an older design)
Do make sure you get the floor mounting plate with the console.
Some years even had a molded to fit rubber mat to place over the mounting plate if you remove the console.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: