Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Seems They Can Shoot Purdy Good In Nevada Too...
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 21, 22, 23  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Backroadbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joe cool wrote:
I have a couple of 12V 9-prong boxes, and I'm working in Sac. If you still need one call me at (916)410-3867. Thom I traded you the spare tire carrier on your trailer, Gene I got the '67 kombi from you. That's me.
Joel: '63 1/2 Sundial panel, '69 rustbucket singlecab.

Hey Joel! How'd that thing come out anyway? Was pretty much like the Bulletbus as I recall (sans holes and rust, oh and it rolled and steered and had wiring!) ....

Gene
www.backroadbus.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so where's the list of needed items and what time are we putting in the BN4? LOL

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
///Mink
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the Bullet Bus is 100% wired, right down to the rear dome light and fully-functional clock.

Note to Brian - Sierra Nevada Pale Ale makes a nice gift. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
stephenmullens Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

///Mink wrote:
Well, the Bullet Bus is 100% wired, right down to the rear dome light and fully-functional clock.

Note to Brian - Sierra Nevada Pale Ale makes a nice gift. Wink

right on! and shy of midnight PST too!
kombisutra
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crofty wrote:
so where's the list of needed items and what time are we putting in the BN4? LOL

Unless this thing is looking like it's going on the Shasta Trip, it ahh, aint' getting one... and it may very-well go, but I ain't made outta' gold either lol. Now the Velvet Green Airport Kombi, that thing's gonna' get my heater stuffed in it for sure, I'll keep you posted...

Needs:

6 pop-out latches (with screws if poss)

4 more panes of pop-out glass (already have frames)

1 stationary glass

2 usable stationary seals

2 chipped (or nice) windshields (have seals already)

Door and hatch locks re-keyed to the ignition code

Dibs on the walk-through passenger seat Greg and Clara have

Seats: It's a possibility I may get a rear and center seat from Christopher, but I'm not so sure about that. If anyone has a rear or center seat in springs or otherwise that's too heinous for your project or to be sold, well, this one is gonna' need both. The center seat is gonna' be a hard-to-pull-off item, but again, in the off-chance someone has 14 center seats in their attic... I'll take the really scurvy one rusting out in the dog kennel... pretty please...

Additional valuable project donations:

Skylights: Looking for someone to step up for the skylight reproduction in Plexiglass. A fringe benefit of doing this project is that when someone is tooled-up to make them, they can squeeze-out sets easily to sell at a generous profit. Proper glass is curved. Cut Plexiglass can be heated and clamped around a jig for the bend. This is one of the big projects I'm not going to have the time to get to right away.

Sun Woof: The other huge issue is the sunroof hole.... it's kind'a missing something. Unfortunately that "something" is a high-dollar item unavailable to this project. If someone is interested in donating their creativity to "make" a similarly useful sliding sunroof, well, I'm not exactly gonna' be able to pull that one off without help either. Thought I'd toss it out there and see if anyone was feeling extra frisky.

An Artist: with a steady hand for tiny paint-brush lettering. This person gets to number the 500-plus holes in the bus, in addition to lettering on it the names of all who've contributed to it's resurrection. This is a simple-yet detail-oriented job for someone able to print in a very proper, consistent English (and bonus if able in German).

For now that's all, unless you have something you might suggest (the likes of which a highly generous doner just PMailed me... thank you!!).

Last edited by kombisutra on Thu May 10, 2007 12:35 am; edited 3 times in total
kombisutra
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

///Mink wrote:

Amazing! I can't believe the clock too! I wonder how good it keeps time?

Copy that on the Sierra Nevada... and worth a LOT more than beer! Thank you Tom!
///Mink
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stephenmullens wrote:

right on! and shy of midnight PST too!

Yup. It's been a long but enjoyable 3 days.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stephenmullens wrote:
"UMISSED"

Cool ^^ Cool

Same theme, "DIE HARD"! Razz
travelvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, 2 posts!! Eneg, stay off the samba or you will get sucked in and have less time to sit under your blossoming apple tree, sipping a beer!

K

Backroadbus wrote:
kombisutra wrote:
You're simply amazing, really great work Tom!

I guess it's confirmed we've got a wiring expert in Sacramento. A case of whatever you're drinking arriving soon!

"Amazing" is just not going to cut it. Geez you guys...all of you...with interest and donations and time and energy, etc....this project is waaaay beyond amazing!

When I drove away from this bus the first time, leaving it in the desert, I was filled with ideas and ideals, but without Mr. Piercy to scramble and drag me back out to the desert to get it, and the ensuing madness (all the donations, interest, effort), these would all be vapor--at least for now, as I was looking at at least a couple years of dealing with "other issues" before I would have been able to deal with the bus. So much more has already happened with and to the bus because it has become a shared project than ever would have, had it been left up to me!

I think the whole thing is simply splendid, if you ask me, and I'm just totally stoked to be part of it all.

Wouldn't it be fun to take it back to Area 51 and have a little photo shoot with it parked where I found it? Maybe even plug it with a slug or two for old times sake?

To attempt to "restore" this bus would be futile and silly; the effort, as Brian put it so well, will be to preserve the history and character of this wretched beast while maintaining it in operating condition.

As for the name, I would suggest that it be an amalgam of all names attributed to it. "Area51SwissCheeseGraterTetanusHolyBulletBus", for instance. That's the name, BTW, not the vanity plate. On that subject, whoever ends up footing the bill for the luxury of a custom plate will have final say, but it should be something that somehow incoporates the thing's history.

Also, it was once thought to be a cool thing to seal the holes with clear silicone so that the myriad 12v lights in between the interior panels and the outer holey skin will be visible at night. Either that, or we could fill them with black, treat (but not paint over) the rust, and call it good.....?

Someone gets to file the edges of all the holes so that no-one gets hurt! I'd love to volunteer for that if I get a moment. Bring it on up here, Brian!

We must have an official hole count, as well.

Big thanks to everyone who has let this bus become part of their lives!

Gene
Galen5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin you made me laugh so hard with that last post I almost spit tea out my nose...however your warning was very suitable for our Mister Cornelius. Gene, Kevin is right the samba is addicting, beware. Absolutely amazing job Tom! This bus has definately started a new chapter in it's life and it's one being created with lots of love. Brian we are definately leaning towards bugorama so hopefully we will see you there! And to everyone great work!
vwbusride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Super input and donations fellas. I can't believe it. Brian I have some glass and latches lying around. That's going to be cool when Tim smokes out that bus. Good job!!!!!
Aaron
fuzzybus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian are you coming back up this way? I might have the right passenger seat for you. Also lets talk about the hole numbering project, I can supply the German, maybe my wife will help me paint....
kombisutra
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aaron: copy that on the latches.

E Chick: we'll look for you there.

Fuzzy: I was hoping you might be interested in that art project. Yes, I'm coming back over from Sacramento deep in the night tonight, back to Willits. We can talk about the project then. Regarding the seat, I'm not sure if Team Olympia is still down with the seat donation they had, however, being that your's is closer and you have no need for a Bay Window era walk-through passenger seat, sounds like it might be the one. Thank you.

Team Olympia: don't worry, I'm pretty sure you've got a hundred pounds of stuff I'm looking for, for example: six panes of stationary glass... for the Velvet Green Airport Bus. We'll have a list of things I can get from you guys when I'm up there. I'm looking forward to The Hard To Spell Indian Name VW Show. You guys still alive up there?

This weekend the motor's going in. As luck would have it, the transaxle from the doner-bus turned-out to be a 67 unit, so we'll be running 12 volt starters on 200m flywheels... much more boring starts. But at least I'll not have to change the flywheel. The engine going into it is a rather sexy Soren-built unit from the famed Santa Rosa engine builder himself -the engine was sourced from a foul Bay Window at the tow yard I used to work for. The unit will have to have it's alternator replaced with a proper 12v generator for proper asthetics... the former is slated as a gift for Mike Wood in Arizona whose alternotor is beginning to have bearing problems.

So it's expected the bus will be driving around smelling the butts of other buses by Friday or Saturday night... eeew butt smellling... "Stay away from the Bay Windows"!
///Mink
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kombisutra wrote:
I'm amazed. I'm just now picking up the bus... and it's awesome. The duplications in harness sections that where necessary are almost entirely proper color coded wires. The clock works, and did you know they've got back lighting too...

Then, get this: besides other donations by super cool locals, Thom Fitzpatrick of Vintagebus.com fame, donated... a salvageable 58 center seat! It's close to scary, and one of the bars actually fell off when we put it in the light of the shop, but it's got enough left to build up... perfect for this project, thank you so much Thom!

Ok, I gotta' hit the road and get this thing back over to Willits.

Last edited by ///Mink on Fri May 11, 2007 7:33 am; edited 1 time in total
///Mink
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Note that the message above was actually Brian. Ah, the perils of using someone else's computer!

Very Happy Very Happy
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

///Mink wrote:
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Note that the message above was actually Brian. Ah, the perils of using someone else's computer!

Very Happy Very Happy

Figured that much! Laughing

Maybe you can "fix it" into a [quote]!?! Wink
///Mink
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pyrOman wrote:

Figured that much! Laughing

Maybe you can "fix it" into a {quote}!?! Wink

Good idea. Done.
kombisutra
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's Alive! It's Alive!

Indeed, it is. After a long day of dicking with this killer motor, cleaning it and adjusting this and that, Christopher and I finally put it in an hour ago. I put about a pint of fuel in the "new" tank, and turned the key. Power went through the harness, through the ignition switch, and back through the harness to the coil, and BAM! Dat' Sucka' Be Runnin'!

More later... time for a bottle of wine!
vw7266
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kombisutra wrote:
It's Alive! It's Alive!

Indeed, it is. After a long day of dicking with this killer motor, cleaning it and adjusting this and that, Christopher and I finally put it in an hour ago. I put about a pint of fuel in the "new" tank, and turned the key. Power went through the harness, through the ignition switch, and back through the harness to the coil, and BAM! Dat' Sucka' Be Runnin'!

More later... time for a bottle of wine!

very cool... enjoy the wine
DubStyle
SBS Hit Squad

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kombisutra wrote:
Needs:

4 more panes of pop-out glass (already have frames)

Are you looking for freebies?

SBS #1
SBS #1 on FB

"The original & best lowered Split Bus website/club"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 21, 22, 23  Next
Jump to:
Page 12 of 23

Jump to: