Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Seems They Can Shoot Purdy Good In Nevada Too...
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 21, 22, 23  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
NorCalWeekender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any more pictures yet? I can't wait to see this thing living again. Definitely a zombie bus for sure!

Edit: Samba burped and I got a double post...sorry!

"Eventually, we sold to a guy for $500 who towed it away to live in it in his parents' driveway. We didn't think it would ever avoid the junk heap on that day." -The 3rd Owner, 1995

Last edited by NorCalWeekender on Fri Apr 27, 2007 6:33 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
staceyz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You won't have to worry about Safari seals leaking...!
vw57drvr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stephenmullens wrote:
Lind wrote:
that shit will buff out

those are speed holes. that thing must go really fast.

let me know what odd parts you need for it, I have plenty of stuff to donate.

Me too.

Post a list of what you need. I'll bet you get most of it.

I'll take a deluxe bus with no rust. Very Happy
kombisutra
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone.

I've got more amazing "as found" images from Gene coming, but the current pictures I've got with it on it's wheels I can't seem to pull out of the computer, but they'll be coming too. I can't exactly walk out and take pictures of the thing during the week as I live 100 miles south of where I'm doing the work on it.

The big stuff is already in place: ie: front end, transaxle, steering box, steering wheel and complete -now rebuilt- backing plate assemblies with shoes and cylinders and new flex lines up front. After putting in a significantly brutal day and a half this weekend, salvaging, honing and rebuilding brake cylinders all the way around and putting in both parking brake cables, the brakes are nearly done. All that's left on the brakes is to rebuild the master cylinder and bleed the system... well, ok, I've gotta' sawsall the pin holding the bent parking brake lever, air hammer the pin pieces out and insert a new arm and pin... I've done this job once and it's a friggin' bear, mostly because access to the pin is very tricky. If you've done one, you know, and of course it's totally corroded in place; have propane torch, will travel... gotta' love the hard stuff LOL!

I've done some thinking about how people can donate parts for it. Basically, what we've got here is a 1966 21 window that's missing virtually everything. While the ultimate goal is to have the thing completely together with every last detail in functioning order and asthetic condition completely ignored, the short-term goal is to get the thing up and legally driving so I can drive it to OCTO (how many weeks do we have left?). Although most of what I need to complete the project could probably be found on Christopher's yard of buses, he doesn't exactly want me robbing all his parts if he can prevent it, soooo..What does it need?

(need all hardware, screws, bolts rubber seals to all the following)
Functional complete headlight assemblies
turn signals front and rear
door handles all the way around -inside and out- to include check rods
keyed ignition switch
driver seat back (just springs ok)
passenger seat complete (just springs ok)
rear and worst-possible rusted/junk center seat -or bay window- (just springs ok)
windows (this is a big one)...all of them with used seals. Looking for someone who's made skylight glass out of plexiglass and can bang out and donate a set of eight of them. Complete set of popout glass with functional frames and latches to include as many hinge screws as possible. Two pieces of stationary glass, two drivers windshields (bullet holes ok), driver's and passenger's door glass, felts and hardware
Every salvagable piece of window rubber -the ability to hold windows in place is all that matters.

As would be expected, anyone donating towards the cause would get due credit for their generosity and mechanitarian efforts. Anyone willing to donate any specific job for which their expertise and good-will calls, please chime in, consider it a fun field trip! Lots of projects to chose from!
The location however, is kind of remote: Willits Ca. (10 miles north of Ukiah on 101. One specific need currently, is finding someone who's an expert at bus wiring harnesses -however simple they are. Putting in a complete 66 loom may be the fastest way to deal with this one... it's pretty hacked-up/missing. I might be willing to fly Richard Kimbrough or Mike Wood in for this job... you guys hankerin' for some real maschistic wiring fun?

Obviously shipping would be a problem with some of this heavy and large stuff, so I'm hoping to source most of it out of the Northern San Francisco Bay Area. Regarding the Seablau Decklid Greg and Clara have: I'm wondering if the PNW Guy with guns and ammo is within proximity to pick it up and shoot it full of holes. I expect I could either get up there to collect it before OCTO, or have you guys bring it down.

Thanks again.
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kombisutra wrote:
.....Although most of what I need to complete the project could probably be found on Christopher's yard of buses, he doesn't exactly want me robbing all his parts if he can prevent it, soooo..What does it need?

(need all hardware, screws, bolts rubber seals to all the following)
Functional complete headlight assemblies
turn signals front and rear
door handles all the way around -inside and out- to include check rods
keyed ignition switch
driver seat back (just springs ok)
passenger seat complete (just springs ok)
rear and worst-possible rusted/junk center seat -or bay window- (just springs ok)
windows (this is a big one)...all of them with used seals. Looking for someone who's made skylight glass out of plexiglass and can bang out and donate a set of eight of them. Complete set of popout glass with functional frames and latches to include as many hinge screws as possible. Two pieces of stationary glass, two drivers windshields (bullet holes ok), driver's and passenger's door glass, felts and hardware
Every salvagable piece of window rubber -the ability to hold windows in place is all that matters.

I can donate a totaly complete and functional set of headlight buckets. 6V or 12V?
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
arthurnugen
Samba Member

Location: The PNW, where "going green" means rolling with moss.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know when OCTO is, but if Greg and Clara are going to the Spring VW Meet in Enumclaw May 20, I can get the decklid from them then, "perforate" it and then send it to you. I might have a keyed ignition switch too, come to think of it. I'll check.

Arthur

zozo wrote:
Don't worry too much. You can always trust a lawyer.

ALWAYS WEAR STEEL-TOE BOOTS IN THE GARAGE!
1965 Bus (Riviera camper)
1972 Bug 'vert
1967 Bug sunroof
1961 Ghia 'vert
1957 DKW 3=6: 3 cylinder 2 stroke!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
truckersmike
Elder Sambanite

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

two things you have not mentioned that i do have are turnsignal switch and 6V 9pin relay. let me know if you need any of them. i also have many more misc parts from my old 66 dlx that may be of use to you. call me and i'll round up what i have.
toydude111
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess you won't be needing any of these.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have some door glass... i think.

What about Coffee? Your gonna need a ton of that to fuel the Keebler elves on 3 work shifts to get it done before octo.

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
arthurnugen
Samba Member

Location: The PNW, where "going green" means rolling with moss.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

toydude111 wrote:
I guess you won't be needing any of these.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Wow, those are so frickin' lame. They just scream "Wild Hogs" Laughing

zozo wrote:
Don't worry too much. You can always trust a lawyer.

ALWAYS WEAR STEEL-TOE BOOTS IN THE GARAGE!
1965 Bus (Riviera camper)
1972 Bug 'vert
1967 Bug sunroof
1961 Ghia 'vert
1957 DKW 3=6: 3 cylinder 2 stroke!
NorCalWeekender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll look around the garage and see what I might be able to donate. And I really want to hear what the DMV says when you go to get tags on that thing!!

"Eventually, we sold to a guy for $500 who towed it away to live in it in his parents' driveway. We didn't think it would ever avoid the junk heap on that day." -The 3rd Owner, 1995
kombisutra
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lind: Cool on the buckets (will run it 12 volt I think). The only problem with collecting parts outside the area, is we're gonna' have to ship em' and wait on em. Or... I was considering flying up to WA to pick-up some junk from Team Olympia to include the customized decklid, so maybe you're hitting that show up there too, perhaps I can pick it all up at one time. My load limit is about 200 pounds... so ArthurGunner: make sure the slugs make it all the way through LOL!

Mike: I havn't done much thinking about the electrical or things like that relay that it DOES need, rather, I was hoping (praying) some wizard such as yourself would just materialize like in Star Trek and simply have everything he needed... which would um, be like most of the entire system. Hey, I'll supply the beer! Hey Richard, you alive out there? The electrical is the only issue I'm not good at and am definately going to have to call in pros on. Who's drinking what?

Bay Area wiring wizard, please stand up. I'll fly you up to Willits if you're game to help. The harness or pieces can come from buses on the property. Transportation, food, beer, housing, and flight back home.

Arthurgunner, thanks for your support!

Blackcatface: Copy that on the glass. And yeah, we're gonna' need some caffiene aren't we... Hmmm.
rustybus
Shasta Snow Trip Newt

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian, I wish I had known you needed wiring help. I was just in San Francisco Thursday. I'd be happy to do it although I'm not sure about the flying in a small plane thing. Maybe I can find a reason to go back out and working in the Bay area again between now and then.Worse case maybe I could head up before OCTO to get it wired, although I'm guessing you want it done before then.

www.rustybus.com www.shastasnowtrip.com
kombisutra
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Copy that Taylor, thanks.

It's a fun project because, unlike most of our projects, no part could be too decrepit or skanky, functionality is all that matters. Perhaps my main aly in this project is the oil can.
truckersmike
Elder Sambanite

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you got lucky brian. you have the choice of 12V or 6V 9 pin relays. like i said, i'm sure there are many other goodies that i can round up like switches, dimmer relay etc.

and if I had the time, I would so fly up there to help you install a new harness and to get out of the heat but i don't see that happening anytime soon.
kombisutra
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, bummer timing! I wish I knew you were here! I would have pulled all the stops to get you on it... you're the only guy I know who knows every wire color from every circut on every year by memory. Mr. Kimbrough! Yeah, while AZ is far, I can do the mission with only two stops from Phenix. Don't be afraid... hell, you drive the Rustybus everywhere... now THAT'S scary! LOL!
kombisutra
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike: I'm not sure if Christopher's got relays on the grounds or not, but I'm worried mostly about getting a functional harness together... no problem running a new one... just enlarge the rust holes behind the nose... LOL!

BTW, the Velvet Green 65 "Airport Bus" has an almost unbelievably perfect nose and front bumper. I cleared 12" of Eucaliptus leaves from behind the bumper where they've been piling up, damp for 24 years (last registered in 1983), and with complete disbelief, I found nary a bubble in the perfect paint, nor a dent deeper than a quarter. Amazing nose, but drivers floors and cargo floor at entry need to be replaced along with at least the pass-side outer rocker.
kombisutra
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CachulliandudefromIreland: How's it swinging brother? How's the running in Northern Ireland? We know you take for granted the amazing scenic views you have there. Greg's got the pink for Old Blue, we'll get it to Britt one of these days. When you coming out again? OCTO?
rustybus
Shasta Snow Trip Newt

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian, one very, very important thing. Don't pull the old wiring harness out. You will need it to pull the new one through, and since belly pan buses have a tube the wires run through there is no easy way to get the wires through if you don't plan ahead when pulling the old harness out. Just leave it there for now.

rustybus
Shasta Snow Trip Newt

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian, one very, very important thing. Don't pull the old wiring harness out. You will need it to pull the new one through, and since belly pan buses have a tube the wires run through there is no easy way to get the wires through if you don't plan ahead when pulling the old harness out. Just leave it there for now.
Code:

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 21, 22, 23  Next
Jump to:
Page 3 of 23

Jump to: