Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Car is blowing fuses.
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
71_transporter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 5:03 pm    Post subject: Car is blowing fuses. Reply with quote

Ok i have a new to me 68 bug, the only problym is there was a blown fuze, the one for the turn signals and the tail lights. I can replace it and my turn signals will work but as soon as i hit the brakes it pops the fuze again. i know that the master cylinder was replaced some time ago. could the wires be crossed? the wiring in the car has not been hacked up. any ideas?

Old hippies never Die, They just go up in Smoke!

63 Bug
67 Bug
82 WestfaliaVanagon
MedicTed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have a short in the brake light curcuit. Start by checking that the bulbs are properly installed and not causing a short. From there, you need to trace the short.

The turn signals and brake lights use different bulbs and wiring on a '68.
Cobey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pull the tail light covers off, and bulb holders. Inspect the wiring for all the lights. You could also remove the wires for the brake lights on each side to see if there is a difference and track back from there. Might be a good time to replace the female connectors too.

Home Solar Power
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pandanom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had that problem exactly. I found the wiring bad forward of the engine behind the tarboard on the firewall where it crosses behind the engine going over to the right side of the car. Before I got the car, a '70, the license plate light had shorted and burned insulation off the wire down to bare wire. Problem is that wire was grouped with the brake/tail light wires which were damaged and shorting when I applied brakes at the same time turn signals were being used. The wires are hidden behind the tarboard so it's not easy to work. I ran new wires on the engine side of the tarboard where I could see them and work on them. I had to replace one wire all the way to the left rear window area. Later, when i had the engine out, I removed the tarboard completely since it is highly flammable, and brittle. Check the condition of your wires from the right rear side of the car and as far as you can see behind the tarboard. Pay attention to the license plate light wire too. Look for evidence of overheating or shorting.
shawns73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pandanom wrote:
I had that problem exactly ... Before I got the car, a '70, the license plate light had shorted and burned insulation off the wire down to bare wire. ... Pay attention to the license plate light wire too. Look for evidence of overheating or shorting.

I just went through that the other day. The PO had used eletrical tape as an insulator instead of a proper Lens Seal, and when I went to fix it the area shorted. Instead of burning the wire / insulation close to the bulb, the wire near the fuse box began to smoke. Fortunately, I caught it in time. I now have a proper Seal in there Wink

Shawn
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: