Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Shipping Tricks and General Shipping Questions / Discussion
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Buyer and Seller Feedback Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
djC4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:23 am    Post subject: Canada to US shipping Reply with quote

I just used Yellow freight - EXACT EXPRESS. You must say this or you'll be charged the regular freight rates. It's significantly cheaper. I just had three boxes shipped from SoCal to Brampton - 2@ 20x22x16 30lbs and one at 52x26x16 - 50lbs delivered door-to-door for under $250. Save yourself approx $75 and do the brokerage yourself (easy stuff). Ask about the pick up and drop off areas too.
TeamSpatula
Samba In The Rain

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Shipping Tricks. Reply with quote

BWD wrote:
VW Addict wrote:
funky,
I have done this before, tell them it is books, and they will ship it, you have to make sure everything is packed well, and does not move, everything is secure, and nothing is showing...if you get caught, its a mess, and you'd have a fine. Another issue is it take Media mail longer to arrive at a desrtination then regualar mail.
I guess i dont see how they would accpet windows!!! Those boxes for media mail are handled differenly, becuase they are books...they are somewhat thrown around on the car....

Don't look now, but the Postal Inspectors are at your door! Wink

I was just mailing out some t shirts this morning (I always use the free Priority Mail envelopes for 1 or 2 shirts with no problem) and noticed a sign saying that they will only accept media/book rate packages if you bring them in OPEN, have contents verified, and then sealed and sent. This particular post office does a ton of Ebay stuff, so I'm sure that's what triggered it. The sign was official looking, had some numbers on it, so I'm guessing that's a new universal policy, not just this one.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
superman73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

does anyone know who will be the cheapest for me to send a full size dodge rear axle from jackson,ms to lawton.okl? i know fedex and ups are expensive and size and weight prohibitive. possibly freight truck?

Jesus Saves

70 deluxe bus
74 ghia 1776 dual carb
67 manx clone

various other parts cars.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=228364&highlight=superman73sb+bellsouth
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Gary
Person of Interest

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

superman73 wrote:
does anyone know who will be the cheapest for me to send a full size dodge rear axle from jackson,ms to lawton.okl? i know fedex and ups are expensive and size and weight prohibitive. possibly freight truck?
I know someone who sent a Bus beam, drum-to-drum, via FedEx. The price was not bad, and the beam *just* made the dimensional limits. I'm thinking if you drain the axle you should be OK.
superman73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Icy wrote:
superman73 wrote:
I know someone who sent a Bus beam, drum-to-drum, via FedEx. The price was not bad, and the beam *just* made the dimensional limits. I'm thinking if you drain the axle you should be OK.

i dont know if the vw beam is as wide as the dodge charger axle. its being shipped to a town near you gary. lol

Jesus Saves

70 deluxe bus
74 ghia 1776 dual carb
67 manx clone

various other parts cars.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=228364&highlight=superman73sb+bellsouth
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwuguy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:21 pm    Post subject: shipping in canada Reply with quote

I live in canada in ontario and if your shipping over seas to asia its reall cheap with ups they even pack it but if you ship in canad or us i use fedex they seems cheapest i'd agree and they have insurance for only $1 on $200 covered. On literature i agre though either canada post or usps is the way to go.
I just found out from a friend that if your shipping somethig like a door or 2 from Ca to here its pretty costly but if you ship it greyhound close to the border for instance the buffalo station they hold onto the item for 24hours and in that time you have to pick it up. This saves a lot of money on border and duty and time. Also it gives an excuse for e anywaise to go take my gf ot to the falls.
mtb7001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reuse boxes, the easy way, turn them inside out, they have a seam on some corner so just peel the seam (tear) and fold it inside out so the inside which has no markings is on the outside and then tape it as usual, that way you can reuse Priority mail/Fedex?DHL etc boxes. Saves a lot of time recycling (you do don't you?) and finding boxes.
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mtb7001 wrote:
.... you can reuse Priority mail/Fedex?DHL etc boxes....

Don't try to mail those inverted Priority Mail boxes, the Post office will send it back to you.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only if they have the priority mail stampings on them. I've received inverted "little cube"s numerous times, for example.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Douglas Denlinger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the BEST method to send parts (5 rims, steering wheel, bus passenger side quarter panel, etc. from europe to the states, without paying large sums of money in tax.
Ken J
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For smaller, heavier items, USPS has these "If It Fits, It Ships" boxes. They have about 5 sizes and the cost for each box includes the priority postage. Weight is not a factor on these.

www.BullysPulleys.com
hpw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ken J wrote:
For smaller, heavier items, USPS has these "If It Fits, It Ships" boxes. They have about 5 sizes and the cost for each box includes the priority postage. Weight is not a factor on these.

I thought the weight could not exceed 70lbs Question
Ken J
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They have TV commercials all over the place and all they say is "If it fits, it ships." Never heard anything about a weight limit. But....we're dealing with the "gubmint."

www.BullysPulleys.com
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Flat Rate" boxes.

Yes, there is a weight limit but it's quite high and difficult to reach with anything "normal". It might be possible with the large flat rate box if you filled it with generators or concrete.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ken J
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was at the Post Office this a.m. and there is a 70 lb. limit, but like said, you'd have to pack it with lead or concrete.

www.BullysPulleys.com
Rick73Super
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's available where you work, check & get permission from shipping & accounting departments to ship personal stuff. There is a loading dock where I work, I have several truck lines I can use, but I prefer UPS Freight for tracking purposes. Using the company account I get a preferred rate (saves around 50% over published rates), then reimburse petty cash for the shipping charges. When I receive a large shipment, I make sure they know they are shipping to a business location and I receive a lower rate.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KAANE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HI

Is there sombody who can help me.

Im looking for a shipment company who can ship 3 fenders from the UK to Belguim

I think the best way is to put each fender in a box , or ... ??

Thanks
pupjoint
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:25 pm    Post subject: Re: shipping in canada Reply with quote

vwuguy wrote:
I live in canada in ontario and if your shipping over seas to asia its reall cheap with ups they even pack it but if you ship in canad or us i use fedex they seems cheapest i'd agree and they have insurance for only $1 on $200 covered. On literature i agre though either canada post or usps is the way to go.
I just found out from a friend that if your shipping somethig like a door or 2 from Ca to here its pretty costly but if you ship it greyhound close to the border for instance the buffalo station they hold onto the item for 24hours and in that time you have to pick it up. This saves a lot of money on border and duty and time. Also it gives an excuse for e anywaise to go take my gf ot to the falls.

wow. really? i need to start looking into this.

i am from Asia and shipping has always been a big prob for me and many of the guys here - $$$$

Not to mention my country has a very silly rule on automotive parts.

40% on top of cost of the goods and shipping added together Shocked Evil or Very Mad

so far for small and expensive parts i have no choice but to use DHL, seldom UPS.

USPS is slower, and goes through the customs who opens and sometimes STEALS my parts.

sick.
pupjoint
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just a note to those who sends parts to Malaysia.

Always send registered (USPS Priorty Express Intl), WITH TRACKING NUMBER unless buyer requests for it, which you must let them know you will not be responsible if it goes missing if they choose that method.

Parts sent by USPS will end up at the customs and believe me, a lot of things can happen here.
bugracr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

anyone know the cheapest way to send a type 1 trans?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Buyer and Seller Feedback All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7

Jump to: