Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

bearings and breaks...part no.'s
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rev. Scott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 6:32 pm    Post subject: bearings and breaks...part no.'s Reply with quote

so im gonna do brakes and wheel bearings all around and...if i got it straight, the bearings are a '68 on inner and a '65 on outer in the front (type I reference) and the rears are a '68 on outer...how hard is it to replace the inner on the rear? i have a good set of tools, but im working in gravel and need my car to get to work...now for the breaks, they are a '64-on front and a '67-on rear? i have a ton of part no.'s to follow but i wont drag this out redundantly. please correct me if im wrong, before i order...thanx
Captain Spalding
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: bearings and breaks...part no.'s Reply with quote

I'm not positive, but I think these are correct.

Brake shoes, front: 181609237B
Brake hardware, front: 13698002
Brake drum, front: 131405615A
Brake hose, front: 211611701
Brake shoes, rear: 181609537C
Brake Hardware, rear: 113698003
Brake drum, rear: 181501615A
Brake hose, rear: 113611775E
Brake backing plate plug: 113609163

Front wheel bearing, inner: 311405625B
Front wheel bearing, outer: 311405645
Front wheel seal: 111405641B
Rear wheel bearing, inner: 113501283
Rear wheel bearing, outer: 113501277A
Rear axle seal: 113501315G
Rev. Scott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

by brakes, i just ment the shoes, as all else has been done; and my shoe numbers are 131609237cx front & 113609537cx rear. and the rear seal is 113501291b. as far as i know and as acording to the rmtoc cd to the best that i could figure. given the age i should repack these bearings and might as well replace them, but how difficult are the rear inners...looks like i might as well do the cv's as long as im in there in which case the tranny is original and suspect as well...in which case i just park it and do it right or ...ok, breath...lets just do the simple "one day"stuff...im ordering from eis, they have other stuff i want, but they need part numbers as they cant cross reference...i gotta get it right cuz once its all apart, theres no runnin down to the shop for the right bits. ah the joys of country living...but then my thing in the country is a living joy...
uberautowerks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inkwels, I think your part numbers are OK.
Contrary to popular belief the shoes are NOT Thing only, they are the same as a late Beetle (Non super) front and rear.
-The rears are easy enough, once you have the CV out of the way. Remove the 36mm nut and the drum, put the nut back on the stub a few turns. Tap (or Wack) it a couple of times to drive the stub shaft out.
-Remove the four bolts on the outer bearing retainer and remove, there's your outer and now you have partial access to the inner too.
--- The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at and repair.
- Douglas Adams -
---
'74 Thing (White)
'71 Single cab (White too)
'70 Weekender (White three)
'05 Evolution VIII (White also!!!)
'68 F-250 (White over black)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rev. Scott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok thanx, here goes...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: