Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Oldest RHD bus in the world...
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Forum Index -> Split Bus - Barndoor Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
LJay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 5:54 am    Post subject: Re: Oldest RHD bus in the world... Reply with quote

streetwagens wrote:
LJay wrote:
I think I just heard Dai's T5 fire up.....

Laughing

I was interested in this one about 5 years ago, then I heard that someone had cut the tags out, and taken some more of the parts, so it became a bit confusing about who owned the bus, and who if anybody owned the identity! Laughing

Ugh Rolling Eyes I noticed the steering wheel had taken leave and no one wants a bus with an identity crisis!-shame it could have had a better future with you guys.

Ive never seen that 51/53 bus that had no ID that Iain looked after for a while again since it sold either.

My build thread.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=742279
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busben
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: Oldest RHD bus in the world... Reply with quote

http://www.jp.se/article/nordar-horde-av-sig/

"Geeks got in"

The dilapidated VW bus at Kråkeboån is about to get a new life.

- It was a “Volkswagon madman of God's grace” that brought it, says Reidar Danielsson, who was present at the occasion.

It began around 2002 with a rumor spread on social media that an early VW van, called a barndoor, was in the region of Jönköping.

A few years later, in January 2014 published Reidar Danielsson, car enthusiast from Barnarp, a picture at Barnarps Instagram account.

- Then VW van fools all over the world woke up, he says.

What might not be so surprising, because the bus is apparently one of the world's oldest RHD VW buses.

Reidar Danielsson was contacted by people both from Germany, Austria and England.

Most interested, Ben from England, was in place at the swamp last weekend to bring home his next project. Since earlier he already owns, allegedly, the oldest known RHD Volkswagen bus. An equally rusty finding as from this Barnarp, but it was found in Töcksfors Värmland in 2013.

In just a few years, he has come very far in Töcksfors bus, says Reidar.

Crayfish base

The bus at Kråkeboån has probably been towed to swamp 1964 to serve as the base camp for crayfish. But in the 70s, crayfish plague came and since then the bus has not been used, it just stood there and sunk into the ground, says Reidar Danielsson.

To get up the bus took half a day digging of several enthusiasts. On the site used metal detectors to collect with the VW accessories that spread at the marsh.

What did the bus cost?

He got it for free. The landowner was happy that the bus disappeared, says Reidar. Jönköping-Posten has tried to reach Ben, but unfortunately without result.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Scotty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 5:26 am    Post subject: Re: Oldest RHD bus in the world... Reply with quote

Volkswagon madman of God's grace - Brilliant

I'd be curious to know the length of his tip.

http://scottys-stuff.blogspot.com/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Demian_S
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Oldest RHD bus in the world... Reply with quote

Very Happy Very Happy

bally
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Oldest RHD bus in the world... Reply with quote

I look forward to the resto thread on this one too
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lowdown Dirty Rat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 12:18 am    Post subject: Re: Oldest RHD bus in the world... Reply with quote

Unbelievable.
Ben your like a one man Wolfsburg factory! Did they come off the production line much quicker then your getting and restoring them Razz
The Sweedish government must love you, single handily cleaning up their forests.
Barndoor Mafia
Il Capo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: Oldest RHD bus in the world... Reply with quote

AWESOME! Looking forward to this build.

Don't worry Sir Alan Scott lll ......... you will always be the Robbie Williams of the UK VW scene. Wink REALLY!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
low54
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Oldest RHD bus in the world... Reply with quote

Good work 😎
Like rob said the Swedish government must love it you are cleaning up the woods for them.
chris67bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Oldest RHD bus in the world... Reply with quote

Just read this, it has made my day. Hats off to you Ben as usual! Great to see this has been saved, hope you got the ID tags back!

Always makes me sad when I read about such early RHD buses, they were made in Dublin from 1951 on but in VERY small nos and none seem to have survived Sad
busben
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Oldest RHD bus in the world... Reply with quote

Thanks Chris. As for the early rhd buses, I only know of a few ckd rhd beetles being built in South Africa and Ireland this early on. I'm pretty sure from my research that any rhd buses were special order & German factory built at this point ......... but of course I may be wrong?

This bus is 20-020752, January '52, and the second oldest rhd bus known at the moment. It's only 8 VIN numbers newer than the oldest known, the Tocksfors rhd, which is 20-020744. Probably built the same day and now back together after 64 years Cool

I've tried emailing the guy who took the tag and the steering wheel but no joy yet. The land owner didn't remember anyone speaking to him about taking them Sad Evil or Very Mad , and neither did the old owner of the bus who we also spoke to.
chris67bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Oldest RHD bus in the world... Reply with quote

Yeah Ben, looks like only 8 were built in Dublin in 1951 and all gone, so looks like you've got the earliest... unless something else turns up lol.
AustroBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 6:09 am    Post subject: Re: Oldest RHD bus in the world... Reply with quote

Great to see that everything went fine - expect the missing vin-tag. Sad

Now i can't wait to follow the resoration thread on this bus! Dancing

Barndoor Coachbuilder Topics:
"Hans Kohlruss & Co"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busben
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 11:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Oldest RHD bus in the world... Reply with quote

chris67bug wrote:
Yeah Ben, looks like only 8 were built in Dublin in 1951 and all gone, so looks like you've got the earliest... unless something else turns up lol.

Something's bound too Chris, but for now it gets the title I guess! Interested in these supposed Irish ckd rhd buses. Any chance you could send me more information 'cos I'm boring enough to find this stuff interesting Laughing Cheers dude.

AustroBus wrote:
Great to see that everything went fine - expect the missing vin-tag. Sad

Now i can't wait to follow the resoration thread on this bus! Dancing

Thanks again for your help Alex Wink and for sharing the story on your facebook site
AustroBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: Oldest RHD bus in the world... Reply with quote

busben wrote:
Thanks again for your help Alex Wink and for sharing the story on your facebook site

You're welcome! Very Happy

Barndoor Coachbuilder Topics:
"Hans Kohlruss & Co"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chris67bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 6:47 am    Post subject: Re: Oldest RHD bus in the world... Reply with quote

busben wrote:
chris67bug wrote:

Something's bound too Chris, but for now it gets the title I guess! Interested in these supposed Irish ckd rhd buses. Any chance you could send me more information 'cos I'm boring enough to find this stuff interesting Laughing Cheers dude.

Information on the dublin factory seems a bit limited so far, have to admit I didn't even know vans were built there which was a surprise. All I have been told is that the numbers of BD's made is very low though. From the eirecooled forum:

"barn doors were here from 1951 when they sold 33 vans . in 52 they sold 177 .in 53 they sold 242 and in 54 they only sold 26."

Seems none survive But then again who knows...

busben
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: Oldest RHD bus in the world... Reply with quote

Thanks Chris. So you're saying 33 were sold in Ireland in '51, and that 8 of them were rhd ckd kits actually built there in the factory? Seems weird to make 8 a year! Wouldn't be the busiest production line ever!! and hardly worth it with the low sale numbers. Where's this info actually come from dude?

Cheers!
chris67bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 6:21 am    Post subject: Re: Oldest RHD bus in the world... Reply with quote

Ben, sorry not sure where the figure of 8 came from - must have been welding fumes that night lol. As you say that would be very slow production, even BL wasnt that bad!! The source of the figures is from the eirecooled forum, I will try to find out where they got those figures from. I would take it that the 33 buses made/ sold in 1951 were all RHD but no proof (as yet). Again the chances of any of these lurking somewhere are v.slim, the earliest irish built bus known to survive (at the moment) dates from 1955.

BTW any idea of the south african production figures for barndoors? The climate out there must have allowed more survivors!
busben
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: Oldest RHD bus in the world... Reply with quote

Nice write up in "Gasoline" magazine about the trip to rescue 20-020752. No idea what it says! Probably "look at these idiots!!!" Very Happy

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus - Barndoor All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Page 10 of 10

Jump to: