Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

replacing dipstick boot
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
deadaheadub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 6:41 pm    Post subject: replacing dipstick boot Reply with quote

Can I do it without removing the fan housing?
hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yup
EZ Gruv
King of Plaid

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its a tough job, but yeah it can be done. Be patient.
My Photography Page.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Airheadparts.com

Part Number: 021-119-245
Type 2 72-79, Type 4 Wagon 70-74
Made from quality VITON. Easier to Install and Longer Lasting! $2.95

Long skinny screwdriver and some patience helps.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vdubyah73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gotta hold yer tongue right! Walk away from it when you feel frustration mounting.

Bill

73 bounty hunter, sold.
'77 transporter, junked had crotch rot.
Dubless, but have a CPR built stroker waiting for a new to me Beetle
'93 Fleetwood Bounder 34'
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

installation tip:
use some silicone lubricant inside the ends of the boot.
slide the boot onto pipe that comes out of the case. slide it down as far as you can, until the top of the boot clears the pipe sticking out of the fan housing.
then slide boot upwards onto the pipe in the shroud until there is equal amounts of the boot on both pipes.

i don't think you'd get it on if you tried to put it on both pipes at the same time.

Last edited by hazetguy on Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:32 am; edited 1 time in total
deadaheadub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, all. I'll take all tips.
Zeen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the trick of warming the boot in boiling water to soften it up. Seems to help.
JMazier
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wife installed ours...small hands help... She also indicated that having it well warmed up helped. Use a screwdriver under the lip to help push it up but on be careful not to puncture it.

Jérôme

’79 Cali Westy 2.0 F.I.
'74 Honda CB 350 Four
'78 Honda CB 750 K
'12 Golf GTI
'11 Ural Patrol
deadaheadub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You all are talking about on a 2.0 L, right? I forgot to mention that. So I don't have to remove the tin that the alternator is behind and attached to?
Thanks for the help
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to the end of this thread http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=2189384&highlight=#2189384
JMazier
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

deadaheadub wrote:
You all are talking about on a 2.0 L, right? I forgot to mention that. So I don't have to remove the tin that the alternator is behind and attached to?
Thanks for the help

Yes, 2l... My wife did remove the tin under the engine that covers the thermostat. She said that it was not necessary but made it easier...4 screws to remove for that tin...

Jérôme

’79 Cali Westy 2.0 F.I.
'74 Honda CB 350 Four
'78 Honda CB 750 K
'12 Golf GTI
'11 Ural Patrol
deadaheadub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help, people.
This site is such a great resource to have to be able to turn to for help!
deadaheadub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

in this thread in 2005 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=2189384&highlight=#2189384
udidwht wrote:
First remove your dipstick and remove the old dipstick boot. Then slide the narrow end of the boot on first, then carefully work the larger side of the boot onto the opening while using the (long slender screwdriver to work the boot around the larger opening).

I'm kind of confused. I thought the fatter end goes on first and sits at the bottom? What larger opening? Isn't there just one tube? Don't you slide the boot from the top down, fat end on first and at the bottom, thinner end at the top? Thanks
Zeen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

deadaheadub wrote:
in this thread in 2005 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=2189384&highlight=#2189384
udidwht wrote:
First remove your dipstick and remove the old dipstick boot. Then slide the narrow end of the boot on first, then carefully work the larger side of the boot onto the opening while using the (long slender screwdriver to work the boot around the larger opening).

I'm kind of confused. I thought the fatter end goes on first and sits at the bottom? What larger opening? Isn't there just one tube? Don't you slide the boot from the top down, fat end on first and at the bottom, thinner end at the top? Thanks

There's no magic, whichever way you go it's just a pain the ass. You'll probably end up trying it both ways, and the one that works will be the one you swear by. Try Hazetguy's method first, he's done it a million times.
trackwesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure you get a quality one I believe airhead parts now have them made from Viton rubber. A few years ago I got one from WCM and it cracked in a few months. They gave me another one and it was fine.
I put mine on the oil filler (large side) then used the dipstick to help align the small end with the dipstick tube. but overall its a PITA for sure.
deadaheadub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trackwesty wrote:
Make sure you get a quality one I believe airhead parts now have them made from Viton rubber.

I already got one from BusDepot. Anyone know of its quality? Is it viton?

Quote:
I put mine on the oil filler (large side) then used the dipstick to help align the small end with the dipstick tube. but overall its a PITA for sure.

Isn't it all one "tube" you're pushing it down over, the tube that the dipstick gets pushed into? And that just goes straight through the black metal tin that the alternator is bolted to, and then through the thicker aluminum fan shroud, as all one continuous tube, until you reach the point it connect with the actual oil filler tube base? Sorry for the noob questions, but this talk of slipping it down over one tube and then a smaller tube is confusing me. Putting it over the "oil filler" (which I consider the place where I add oil, not where I put the dipstick), I can't make sense of, most likely due to my lack of experience (that's why I'm doing all of this myself- to gain needed experience!) . Don't I "just" slip it down the one dipstick tube all the way, with the fat end first?
Sorry and thanks!
hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

78westy not westy78 wrote:
There's no magic, whichever way you go it's just a pain the ass. You'll probably end up trying it both ways, and the one that works will be the one you swear by. Try Hazetguy's method first, he's done it a million times.

lol, a million? i wouldn't say that. but i would say that i've done it 3 times in the past month. when i worked at a VW shop i would do it somewhat regularly. i just find it "easier" to put it on the large, tapered end first.

it is not one tube, hence the need for a boot. through the fan housing it is one tube, but it is not one tube all the way in to the engine case. there is a gap between the tube in the fan housing, and the end on the oil filler pipe. it is not much of a gap, which makes installation of the boot (besides the crapmed space) somewhat of a pain.

tube coming through fan housing:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

"tube" on oil filler showing boot orientation and different sized ends:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

deadaheadub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, Hazetguy! Those pics and your comments are very helpful and informative to me, the uninformed. From that top photo it looks like there is no room between the tube coming through the fan housing and the fan housing. Can the boot go around the outside of that tube as it goes through the housing (thus the PITA), or does it go inside that tube and then around the outside of the the second lower tube that is attached to the oil filler? My dipstick tube sticking out of the housing has some kind of putty? around it at the point it enters the housing so I haven't seen what kind of gap there is to squeeze the boot through, which is what I've imagined I'm going to have to do. Is that putty? rubber? stock, part of the old boot, or a half-assed attempt to stem the flow of oil without changing the broken boot?
Thanks again

Last edited by deadaheadub on Tue May 08, 2007 10:37 am; edited 1 time in total
trackwesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hazetguy Those are some nice pics!

Quote:
My dipstick tube sticking has some kind of putty? around it at the point it enters the housing so I haven't seen what kind of gap there is to squeeze the boot through, which is what I've imagined I'm going to have to do. Is that putty? rubber? stock, part of the old boot, or a half-assed attempt to stem the flow of oil without changing the broken boot?

Could be any and all that you mentioned, but it supposed to be clean. But it could be some epoxy used to seal the area due to a loose fitting tube.
Quote:
Can the boot go around the outside of that tube as it goes through the housing (thus the PITA), or does it go inside that tube and then around the outside of the the second lower tube that is attached to the oil filler?

It goes on the outside of both.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: