Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Time for KONI's
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
slo356
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:26 pm    Post subject: Time for KONI's Reply with quote

Well, I received my KONI shocks today for my bone stock '65 sedan. I noticed a major sale currently of $182 per pair on the 801349 fronts and the same for the 801350 rears directly from KONI USA. The shocks are the Red Classics which are still made in Holland and finished beautifully, they come really close to matching my Ruby Red paint. I even ordered one of their t-shirts!

I am replacing Boge on the front and Bilstein on the rear. Will start the install and post pics and results of ride and handling. I'm really interested in comparing different settings.

The Baywindow guys (and girls) have known about the KONI's for the last ten years or so and report great improvements...I'll see if they give a similar benefit for T-1's.
j.goodspeed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will love the Koni's I have used Special D's for years. You will most likely like the lowest setting due to the light weight if a type 1 VW.

Congrats!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
henry roberts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:31 am    Post subject: Re: Time for KONI's Reply with quote

The beetle cornering performance guys (and girls) have known about the KONI's for the last fifty five years plus and report great improvements... so you should be pleased. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
slo356
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After a few delays brought on by other mechanical "issues", I finally have finished up the swapping out of Boge fronts and Bilstein rears on my '65 T-1 for Konis all around. Quick review of the Konis is that after maintenance and safety stuff, THE BEST THING YOU CAN DO FOR YOUR Type 1 is install KONI SHOCKS. It is hard to believe the improvement in ride and handling. It is firm yet rides very smooth. Bridge joints and segmented concrete have lost their jolt. It feels like there is far less rear swing axle wrap. Kind of reminds me of my old BMW 2002...kinda.

You may have heard about adjusting these shocks by referring to a certain amount of "clicks". There are no clicks but rather the number turns between the top and bottom tubes. Compress the shocks all the way and rotate. I added blue tape to the tubes so that indexing my settings would be easier to see and count. I set mine at first to zero rotations (softest) on the front and one and half rotations on rear which translates to 75% firm. Eventually, I settled on fronts to one and a half turns and continued the 75% firm on rear.

Also, did king and link pins, super lube job, rear donuts, adjusted Michelin 165 XZX's to 20psi fronts and 27psi rear, stock rims, stock front swaybar and four wheel alignment.

After twenty years of wanting these shocks, they are really a nice addition to my car.

Left to right front: Boge, Koni, Bilstein, Cofab
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Bilstein shocks on the rear did lift the rear a bit, too harsh for my taste.

I added tape to aide in the indexing.

Konis can be easily adjusted on the car by undoing bottom bolt, compressing and rotating.

Front shocks installed by attaching bottom first.

To adjust fronts, top bolt is removed, compressed and rotated. Great looking Vintage Koni logo sticker.

onetuza
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

slo356 wrote:
I set mine at first to zero rotations (softest) on the front and one and half rotations on rear which translates to 75% firm. Eventually, I settled on fronts to one and a half turns and continued the 75% firm on rear.
Just to be clear, you are saying you ended up adjusting both the front and the rear the same at one and a half turns, thus no difference for more weight in rear?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

onetuza wrote:
, thus no difference for more weight in rear?

The front shocks are valved softer the rears, hence the different part numbers. That's what compensates for the extra weight at the rear.
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

`Very nice write up, and right in time as I just got some Koni's for the front of my 62. In the rear I'm replacing the current KYB gas adjust with adjustable Spax. They have a knob for adjustment, which is easier as I have a torque bar tied to the top shock mount and a sway bar tied to the bottom. Did you try the rears on the harder settings? How does the front do under hard braking? Dive at all?
j-dub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am planing on buying Konis for my bug as well and just was looking for any further reviews and feedback on what setting you ended up with.

Thanks,
Jeremy
girlscoutcookies
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2023 2:38 am    Post subject: Re: Time for KONI's Reply with quote

Awesome thread. My 69 Bug is gonna be fitted with them too. Question is, what works best with adjustable front beam & dropped spindles? CSP Germany listed P/N 80-2275 for the front. But on the web I can only find the 80-1787 ones. Anyone here ever had experiences with two of them?
slayer61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2023 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: Time for KONI's Reply with quote

I have the 80-1787 on the front of my 'glass buggy set to full soft. I have dropped spindles and an adjustable beam. The ride is firm, as that's what I was hoping for, but not harsh.

Konis and sway bars front & rear

... Most folks are idiots when it deals with electrical !!!

67rustavenger wrote:

3/4 race cam? What's missing, one of the lobes? Shocked

Paul

'68 Manx clone... Sears??
2276 built on AS21 case
W-125 w/ GB 1.25:1 rockers
Mahle forged pistons
CB 4340 crank
CB H beam rods
deep sump
44 HPMX
EMPI GTV 2 STG II wedge ports
CB Magna spark
1 5/8 merged collector w/ hater stinger
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: