Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Squeaks!
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
Dubskii
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Squeaks! Reply with quote

BarryL...What's the beefier way?
WTB Joe Heishman VW Arlington, VA License Plate Frame or Other Memorabilia
Stocknazi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Squeaks! Reply with quote

Dubskii wrote:
I will pickup a Harbor Freight puller today. Once the drum is off, assuming the bearing is stuck, is it a few more chisel hits on the bearing to break loose?
You can use a 2 jaw puller to pull the bearing off the spindle once the drum is off.

Pull on then spacer behind the bearing, not the bearing itself.

"When the people are afraid of the government, that's tyranny. But when the government is afraid of the people, that's liberty."
"Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God."

Thomas Jefferson
Malokin Martin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Squeaks! Reply with quote

back the adjusters the opposite way and try again.
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: Squeaks! Reply with quote

Dubskii wrote:
BarryL...What's the beefier way?

Find a strong steel flat stock or aluminum angle stock 2 1/2'-3' that has, or you make, a larger hole than the lugnut hole is, about 6" from the end.

Go get a same thread bolt that's long enough to reach the drum from the bar's hole.

I assume you have the spindle nuts and outer inner bearing off.

This represents the pry angle and location. Of course yours is without cap, lug nuts, etc.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Turn the drum tight against the turnstop right or left, attach the lever bar and tug on the end not so hard as to bend the spindle, of course. Keep moving the bolt to the next hole in the drum or in a star pattern.

I put a small 3/4" thick piece of wood against the spindle end so as not to bugger the thread.

Using this method sometimes it's possible to get the inner bearing to slide off the spindle. If not, like Kommercial said, the bearing hopefully will come out of the drum.

If that doesn't work then come back.
Who.Me? Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: Squeaks! Reply with quote

If you can't shift the drum all, try tapping/thumping on the face (not the rim) of the drum with a club hammer. Tap at top, then bottom, then left, then right (12 o'clock, 6 o'clock, 9 o'clock, 3 o'clock) and repeat, and repeat, and repeat hitting it a little harder each time.

The idea is to create a rocking motion to break it free. Don't hit it on the edge, or you risk knocking it out of round.

If it's moving in and out a little, but won't come off, then this probably won't help, but if you can't shift it at all, give it a try.

It worked on my rear drums.

Thinking about it, if you don't have a club hammer, you could try bolting the wheel back on with the hub nut/clamp nut undon then sit on your backside with your feet on the wheel and kick the wheel in the same way (round the clock). I have to do that with the alloy wheels off my daily driver, when I switch to winter tyres. Might work with the drum too.

Looking for info on my truck's history. Are you from Campbell California or nearby. Do you recognise it? ... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=636786
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Squeaks! Reply with quote

You could bolt the wheel back on like Who.Me? said but kick it from behind.

Any gnarly prying, hitting, or kicking make sure the bus is stable on body stands.
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: Squeaks! Reply with quote

If all the home brew ideas fail you then bite the bullet or borrow/rent this. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Heavy-Duty-Universal-Wheel-Hub-Puller-KIT-/252169739210
Where are you in So Cal?
Dubskii
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: Squeaks! Reply with quote

I am in the Riverside/Corona area of So Cal. I rented a heavy duty drum puller from Autozone. Will give it a shot later this week. Thanks for all the suggestions.
Dubskii
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Squeaks! Reply with quote

Fabbed this.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Worked like a charm!

Can anyone tell me how far to press the grease seal in? Should the seal's inner lip just touch the outside of the bearing?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: