Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Checks whole engine is out
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tuke71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 2:36 pm    Post subject: Checks whole engine is out Reply with quote

I am restoring a 1971 Beetle. I’ve removed the motor so I could better get at the engine compartment to clean and repaint if. I was wondering what checks should I do while he motor is removed from the car?

Thank you in advance
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Checks whole engine is out Reply with quote

Welcome to the Samba!

Remember, front is front of the car, and rear is rear of the car!

I would look at the transmission mounts (all 3), the transmission rear seal, the engine front seal, the clutch plate, the TO bearing, the input shaft, engine compartment seal.

On the engine, take a look at everything! Go through and snug up whatever is loose.

Have fun!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Checks whole engine is out Reply with quote

If there is a moist with oil spot on the left side of the engine. Look to see if the oil cooler seals are leaking.

If funds are available. Install new fuel lines and move your fuel filter next to the trans where the hard fuel line comes out of the frame horn.

Maybe clean up some of that jacked/hacked up wiring in the engine compartment too.

Are the compartment seals in good nic? This is an opportune time to put new ones in. .
Also are the sound deadening cards in good condition? You want them to be firmly against the rear firewall. If the sound deadening sags away from the firewall. It can block the fresh air flow to the fan intake. That is a bad thing!
Yet another good time to change them.
There's more to check. But these two posts are a good start.

X2 on the welcome to the samba. Have fun and enjoy your ride.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Checks whole engine is out Reply with quote

Check the wiring to the rear lights. Much easier to correct with the engine out.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AutoMechanic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Checks whole engine is out Reply with quote

Definitely the transmission mounts like another poster said.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tuke71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 10:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Checks whole engine is out Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
Check the wiring to the rear lights. Much easier to correct with the engine out.

I replaced the entire wiring harness already. No oil leaks anywhere that are noticeable. I’ll check the trans mounts tomorrow. Mot real sure how go check the seals. This is all sort of new to me but I’m picking it up faster than I expected.
Marinablau703
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 5:09 am    Post subject: Re: Checks whole engine is out Reply with quote

If removal of the fan shroud isn't on the list, it should be. Vermin LOVE to make nests in there, and then the engine cooks. In my case, my shroud was clear, but the oil leaks built up so much gunk on the cylinders that there were no cooling fins: the cylinders were smooth! While the engine is out, replace every seal in the thing, even the ones that aren't leaking. My oil cooler seals were solid plastic by this point, and I pulled 24 pushrod tub seals off of 8 pushrods...

Also clutch kit, as it is a cheap "might as well." Brand new Sachs clutch, pressure plate, throw out bearing and alignment tool with lifetime warranty from FCP, only $70. When the clutch wears out, I send it back and get a new one for the cost of shipping.
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 6:01 am    Post subject: Re: Checks whole engine is out Reply with quote

Take your time and photos. It is nice to see before and after.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
Pez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Checks whole engine is out Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=747989&highlight=sealing+engine+tin
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Checks whole engine is out Reply with quote

Learn how to check parts for wear. The specifications are in Bentley manual. Just shotgunning and replacing can get expensive. The aftermarket parts available now are shit compared to OEM. Some people here are using 60 year old parts and they are fine. I’m using clutch parts from 1960s and 70s
Max Welton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: Checks whole engine is out Reply with quote

Check the grommet where the fuel line goes through the front tin (front is front) over the #3 exhaust.

Max
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: