Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Replacing fuel lines, vacum lines, oil breather tube line,
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
FreakCitySF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 3:32 pm    Post subject: Replacing fuel lines, vacum lines, oil breather tube line, Reply with quote

This guy on the samba sells the rubber lines by the foot.

Cheaper than even Cip1 ( I think )

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=448057

My question is, about how much should I purchase?

Right now I'm using the 009 but I'm switching back to the dual vac distributor as soon as I find one. How much vacuum line do I need? 2 feet should do?

What about fuel line? And that oil breather tube that runs into the stock air clear from the oil filler neck.

Thanks
chris
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since it's usually sold by the foot, you'll probably need a couple of feet of each.

I have to add this, If the braided line doesn't say Continental or Germany on it, I wouldn't use it - I've seen some poor quality cloth-braided hose out there before. It looks to me like this ad is selling the not-so-good stuff. Last time I got German fuel line (5mm) the lettering on it was orange, hard to read but it did say Germany. Vacuum line has white lettering but said Germany on it plainly. I just took this pic of the hose in my parts stash:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Oh, and by the way, with a DVDA, you'll need the larger diameter green colored hose to go for the retard side of the distributor. The black 3mm stuff is too small.

Not sure what size you'd need for a breather hose, depends on what kind of breather you have on your engine.

http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=111209185
http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=N203751
http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=N203741

http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=N203531
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
uberautowerks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gotta second that, German hose is the way to go. The "Braided" hose that CIP sells is grade A junk, more plastic than rubber!
--- The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at and repair.
- Douglas Adams -
---
'74 Thing (White)
'71 Single cab (White too)
'70 Weekender (White three)
'05 Evolution VIII (White also!!!)
'68 F-250 (White over black)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vmx12vmx12vmx12
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought 4 feet of fuel line and replaced all of it. Didn't have much left over. I replaced the gas heater line as well and tank to line, line to firewall, firewall to pump and pump (through filter) to carb.
FreakCitySF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did the stock gas heater fuel lines come in black rubber non clothed?
vmx12vmx12vmx12
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't tell you for sure it was stock...but yes mine was braided with cloth
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: