Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

I just bought my first Thing part...
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dr.ona
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 5:22 pm    Post subject: I just bought my first Thing part... Reply with quote

Yep...hopefully this won't be the bottomless pit of buying stuff Smile
I bought the stainless steel doorhinges with the mirror mounts. I bought my Thing last week for $2000...drove it home even! I think it needs brakes or bearings cause it was NOISY!

Robert
kubelmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Thing that you bought for $2000 and drove home is a good experience.

There is a long list of things that can cause the noise. Start at the first step and make the noise go away. Proper brake adjustment, insure that the front bearings are at the proper tightness and so on.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ztnoo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
hopefully this won't be the bottomless pit of buying stuff

My advice is to not hold your breath on that topic for longer than one minute.
Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Captain Spalding
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: I just bought my first Thing part... Reply with quote

dr.ona wrote:
Yep...hopefully this won't be the bottomless pit of buying stuff

You bought a 35 year old car for $2k and you hope it won't need much? Rolling Eyes
bmwloco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Methinks there must have been a crack pipe in the glove box.

Still, spend freely. If you have a $2k Thing that runs, even if you spend $100 or $200 a month, it beats a car payment.

I live in a city were fat and fancy cars freely traverse the roads. If my Thing is parked, it draws attention like flies to an outhouse.
Rev. Scott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i bought mine a year plus ago for twenty five and have, in the last four months, spent (unwisely) another fifteen. when i began in dubs, you could drive a bug home for fifty! five hundred if it was straight! im very discouraged by the hoby right now. i dont ride harley's anymore for the same reason...not that your all repressed homosexual doctors and lawyers and dentist, trying to prove a manhood you never had and have by now, well out grown...sorry, i digress. its just getting way too spendy for me. wow, ok, ill log off and go nap now...be better tomorow im sure...dub on!...
dr.ona
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh I'm not complaining..this will be my second VW..my others a 1972 Myers Manx. The good news on that was it's all fiberglass. I know how a sometimes people can get nickeled and dimed to death without knowing it. I'm not going to do a restore on this though. I'm just going to enjoy the ride with the top down Smile
-R
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: