Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New to this Thing thing - Lowering/Raising Question
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kerinon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 7:02 pm    Post subject: New to this Thing thing - Lowering/Raising Question Reply with quote

Ok - my husband and I are new to the Thing owner club and have a question about our Thing suspension.

When we bought "Rhonda" Laughing she was already lowered up front. We live in hilly Ohio and we need to return her to her original height. It seems that there's no easy way to adjust this front end. We were told that we could rotate the torsion arms to give lift, but the interior of the torsion arm is not "starred", but round. We're lost . . . HELP!!

Thanks - Keri
Ian Epperson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats on the new purchase!

You're talking about the advice on how to change the height of the rear suspension, but looking at the front.

There's a couple of ways to change the height of the front. One way is to cut and turn the front beam so that the springs don't push as high. Another is to install adjusters in the middle of the front beam so you can change how high the springs push with a wrench.

However, for those who are lowering, an easy modification is to simply use bug parts. The bug parts are cheaper and easier to obtain than the Thing parts. Changing out the Thing trailing arms and spindle with a bug trailing arm and spindle will lower the Thing a few inches. Going back to the stock height means finding the original parts which isn't so easy (or cheap) to do. To check, look under one of the sides at the ball joints. Both of The Thing's ball joints point downward - there should be two nuts on two bottom surfaces on each spindle. If there's a nut on the top and a nut on the bottom, you've got bug spindles and trailing arms.
Check out this link for good pics: http://veewiki.com/TheThing/ThingOnlyParts/FrontEnd
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kerinon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope Ian, I'm lookin' at the front 'cause I'm talkin' about the front. The front was lowered and the rear left alone. Thanks for the link tho! Maybe the Thing spindles were swapped for the Bug spindles, thus lowering the front.
Ian Epperson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kerinon wrote:
Nope Ian, I'm lookin' at the front 'cause I'm talkin' about the front. The front was lowered and the rear left alone.

Okie Dokie! Cool

kerinon wrote:
We were told that we could rotate the torsion arms to give lift, but the interior of the torsion arm is not "starred"

That sorta sounds like the procedure for changing the height of the rear. Rotate the spring plates on the torsion bars to give more downward force on the rear trailing arms. Can't do that on the front as you've found Wink The torsion springs in the front only go together one way, so you've got to change other bits.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kerinon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So will it be easier to try and find replacement Thing spindles or retrofit the (seemingly) bug spindles to correct this lowering????
suntour
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you post a few photos of the front beam, spindles and trailing arms?
That way we can tell you if you have a Bug front end or a Thing front end.
If you do have a Thing front end, and we can see a picture, we can tell you how it was modified and how to bring it back to stock height.
kerinon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YEAH!! Will do so first thing in the am! Very Happy
kerinon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 10:52 am    Post subject: Photos Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/352374.jpg

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/352373.jpg

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/352372.jpg

Hope that these photos help to answer our questions!! Thanks for all of the master mechanical help!
suntour
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pictures are a tad small. 92x72 pixels are more for thumbnails than anything else. But from what I can see you have a 100% bug front end.

The spindles and trailing arms are definitely from a Bug, and I didn’t notice any of the reinforcement plates that Thing front beams have so I suspect you have a Bug beam too.

Thing spindles and trailing arms have both ball joints facing down. A bug spindle and arms have one ball joint facing down and one facing up. Thing front beams have extra reinforcement on the shock towers and extra plates welded to the ends of the beam for extra attachment points to the frame. A thing beam will have 10 bolts holding the beam on where as a Bug have 6 bolts.

So your options look like,

1. buy a complete Thing front end and install
2. buy raised Bug spindles and cut and turn your beam. (Or add front adjusters to the front beam instead of just a cut and turn.)
63ziggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 7:17 pm    Post subject: Thing Front End Reply with quote

Definitely agree with Suntour. Those are bug spindles and arms. Hard to tell but did not appear to reinforcement frame supports as note dprior.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kerinon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couldn't get the photos to post larger - definitely sorry for that. But a HUGE thanks for verifying what we were suspecting!! As it seems is typical from what I've read on The Samba - one is always buying something for their Thing!! LOL

Thanks again!
surferdudedav
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey, where in ohio are you? im in cincy and might be able to help you. Smile i cant mention selling parts or the head hunters will delete my comment.. Wink (love ya GLENN)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: