Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Clutch problem
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vmx12vmx12vmx12
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 7:17 pm    Post subject: Clutch problem Reply with quote

I just installed my pedal assembly today and my motor a couple months ago....the clutch it seems will never disengage the motor from the trans...I adjused it with slack and re-adjusted it the butterfly about an unvh on the thread...close to the end. I knoe last year it all worked fine, and I never took the clutch out of the car...is there something I could have done wrong installing the motor? Or is there an adjustment I can make to the clutch itself???????????

my dealine awaits.
Towel Rail
Horizontally Opposed

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's your clutch pedal freeplay? Should be 3/8"-3/4".

049 > 070 > 053 > 009
vmx12vmx12vmx12
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had about 1 inch and I tightened it and loosesed it...nothing seems to make any difference....
vmx12vmx12vmx12
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL, I am very tired...I re-read my post and it looks as though I failed grade 4 english..I'll try again...

I just installed my pedal assembly today and my motor a couple months ago....the clutch it seems will never disengage the motor from the trans, althought the shifter works with engine off...I adjusted the freeplay....there is good resistance on the pedal. I know last year it all worked fine, and I never took the clutch off the flywheel...is there something I could have done wrong installing the motor? Or is there an adjustment I can make to the clutch itself???????????
suntour
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have someone press the clutch petal down while you’re under the car and see how far the cable moves. If it looks fine or looks like it moves and inch or so and no amount of adjustment to the cable fixes your problem I would consider pulling the engine and having a look. Sometimes the factory spot welds on the throw-out fork break. If one or both spot welds break your throw-out bearing will not fully disengage the pressure plate.

(I hope that makes sense.)
Towel Rail
Horizontally Opposed

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While we're on the topic, do any of you guys use the "heavy duty" cross-shafts?

049 > 070 > 053 > 009
TimGud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cable may have come off the hook when you installed the pedal assembly.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vmx12vmx12vmx12
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

had my darlin wife press the clutch down while I was under the car...I get over an inch of movement at the 'clutch arm where the buterfly adjustment nut is.
vmx12vmx12vmx12
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

everything checks out outside the bellhousing...i'm getting about an inch to 1.5 inches of movement at thre adjuster.... I even put a large nut on before the wingnut to give it that much more....still nothing...Do I pull the motor now? and look for what? Nothing was touched since it last worked...could I have eukred it when installing the motor?
Ray Syverson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How long was your engine sitting out of the car with the clutch attached ?Your clutch disc may have slightly bonded itself to the flywheel and now it wont disengage.This happened to me.I took the engine out to replace the clutch in the fall.The engine sat till spring with a new clutch on it before I put it back in the car. The clutch would not release.Took the engine out. The clutch disc was stuck onto the flywheel.You can try rocking the Thing with the shifter in neutral to break the bond if this is the problem.
Its been a few days since your posting so perhaps you've found the problem by now. If not I hope this helps. Ray.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
markie61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Towel Rail wrote:
While we're on the topic, do any of you guys use the "heavy duty" cross-shafts?

Yes. Got one with the red urethane busings from CIP. But the bushing was so tight, it wouldn't release the arm, so I reintalled the old bushings. Worked great.
Mark
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: