Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Tunes :)
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bmwloco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 5:10 pm    Post subject: Tunes :) Reply with quote

It was a beautiful day here in the mountains of NC. Two days off (you don't get that very often as a VW/Audi/Porsche sale associate) was a treat, so I got around to some projects with my Thing.

I had Blaupunkt speakers to install, plates from The Thing Shop to mount them, a Dual AM/FM Cassette with "line in" right up front. Just the thing for plugging in my iPod.

All in all it took a little over two hours to put the system in. After looking it over, I decided to just mount it on the parcel shelf. Well within reach, and easy. A shaft coming out the back necessitated drilling one hole, exiting near the tire under the hood.

Happily, while looking for a lead, I found a fused link just under the steering shaft near the dash just hanging in the air. Life? Yes. I did a little detective work and found it was the same fuse used for the parcel shelf light. Perfect. That means the radio will work regardless of the key. Note to self: turn off the radio getting out!

Everything just about done, I went to Radio Shack and picked up a 3" line in for the iPod and Dual Radio.

Moment of truth came... I turn on the radio. Lights! I turn up the volume... static (no antenna yet). Plugging in the iPod... The Meters came roaring out! Yes! Music. Podcasts... and as soon as I get an antenna, commercial radio.

Hmm.

Maybe I'll just leave the mast off and listen to what I want to hear.
npconnor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to get a CB Radio and one of those 24'' whip antennas. I suggest you do the same. The nice thing is that my Thing is olive drab so it will look even more military!
bmwloco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll pass on the CB. A cell phone will do. Not that I always carry one.

Next project, hook up the Hella driving lights that are currently mounted up front.
Captain Spalding
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Tunes :) Reply with quote

Sounds awesome. Please post a photo of your setup when it is finished. I have a stereo with the faceplate AUX IN as well. It's a very convenient setup, and is the best sounding way to get music from your iPod into your car stereo without paying a fortune for one of those dedicated "iPod ready" systems. It's much better than the FM transmitter or cassette adapter options.

I'm a big fan of Ziplinq retractable cables. Their advantage is that they are as long as I need them to be, I don't have cable drooping all over the place. And they're easy to store when I'm not using them. No knotty nest of cables to untie when I need them.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I have one of the older iPods (early adopter and Mac geek since 1986), which charges via the Firewire port with a firewire cable.
When the iPod needs charging, I plug it into one of these:

(I have a regular cigarette lighter style power outlet under the dash to the left of the ashtray.)

It supplies power via both firewire and USB connections. I use a Ziplinq 6 pin - 6 pin cable to power up my gen 2 iPod.

I use the same lighter adapter to simultaneously charge my cell phone or digicam via the USB port. For those with newer iPods, Ziplinq also makes dedicated iPod cables.

When the time comes to upgrade to a docking iPod model, I'll get myself a dedicated cradle and mount it to the underside of the ashtray using Ram Mounts. (For those who haven't heard of Ram Mounts, they have a thousand and 1 uses.) Mounting to the ashtray would allow me to get rid of the whole rig in a couple of seconds by just removing the ashtray, and means I don't have to drill any holes in my Thing.
wantvws
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Tunes :) Reply with quote

bmwloco wrote:
Yes! Music. Podcasts... and as soon as I get an antenna, commercial radio.

Hmm.

Maybe I'll just leave the mast off and listen to what I want to hear.

Satellite radio. 'Nuff said. I got XM a couple of years ago and have never regretted it. Well, actually my one regret is that I did not go with Sirius. I have Sirius in the house (with Dish Network) and the rock selection is better, IMO. Get a couple of car install kits and swap the receiver from one car to the other.
I'd love to see pics of your setup, as I have yet to think about a system in my wreck!
Robbie
bmwloco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the things I love about my new "tunes" set up is how, well, cheap it all was:

Dual AM/FM Cassette 30watt $36 delivered. Amazon.com
Blaupunkt speakers $24 delivered. eBay.com
Speaker Plates, $32 The Thing Shop
Line in "cable" $4.99 Radio Shack
iPod, Apple refurb $39 apple.com/store

I had a spool of speaker wire and other wire, plus electrical tape to finish the job off nicely.

Photos to follow. Speakers aren't mounted firmly yet. I'm thinking industrial Velcro so I can pull 'em and store them in the trunk in henky areas. Like our local National Forest biking area.

Photos tomorrow. I'm in for the night.
kubelmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loco, Love the concept. I am after you on the set up... Post photos.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mickeything
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My hubby put in a Sony cd player with aux. from Wal-mart for $80. Then we bought a cable from wal-mart for $5 for the XM radio and ipod. Don't have the antenna for radio stations but the one country station I get isn't too bad. Now we're gonna get speakers for the back. It's nice just havin somethin to listen to instead of singin to yourself. Very Happy
bmwloco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tidied up my Radio and speaker install this evening. Instead of screwing the speaker mounts into the "flesh" of my Thing, I used Industrial Velcro instead.

The radio is simply mounted through a "security bolt" through the cockpit and into the trunk. If anyone wants to get it, they're going to have to work hard to get it out - hardly worth the effort for a cheapie radio.

It may be cheap, but it sounds GREAT.

I'll be road testing it tomorrow on the way to work. I forgot my iPod at work, but I have some old cassettes that sound great in the unit.
GA_RR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bmwloco wrote:
Tidied up my Radio and speaker install this evening. Instead of screwing the speaker mounts into the "flesh" of my Thing, I used Industrial Velcro instead.

The radio is simply mounted through a "security bolt" through the cockpit and into the trunk. If anyone wants to get it, they're going to have to work hard to get it out - hardly worth the effort for a cheapie radio.

It may be cheap, but it sounds GREAT.

I'll be road testing it tomorrow on the way to work. I forgot my iPod at work, but I have some old cassettes that sound great in the unit.

Looks great. I'm working on putting a couple 6.5 speakers in the same location right now to go with a new headunit I'm mounting in the same place. I'm working on building my own boxes but I'm starting to wonder if the trouble is worth it or not.....those ones you have look great.
bmwloco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm hoping the Velcro does it's thing so I don't have to screw 'em in place. We'll see.

The mounts from The Thing Shop make it easy, but you could easily make mounts with a bit of good lexan plastic or even wood. I simply used a 3 1/2 cutter on my drill to open a hole, then mounted the speaker cover with through bolts into the speaker on the other side. It made for a very strong mate.
GA_RR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bmwloco wrote:
I'm hoping the Velcro does it's thing so I don't have to screw 'em in place. We'll see.

The mounts from The Thing Shop make it easy, but you could easily make mounts with a bit of good lexan plastic or even wood. I simply used a 3 1/2 cutter on my drill to open a hole, then mounted the speaker cover with through bolts into the speaker on the other side. It made for a very strong mate.

Oh you made those, I thought they were the Thing shop boxes. Yeah, I'm making mine out of fiberglass trying to make them angle towards the center of the car some. Still unsure how they will turn out though, it's my first experience with fiberglass.(it's definitely messy, smelly stuff)
bmwloco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the link for Dual Radio from Amazon. It's gone up $2, but shipping is still free:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00012O6SY/103-0528004-1827015
wantvws
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good! I am thinking about gutting the system out of my '63 ragtop and either putting it in my Thing Very Happy or my wife's '78 vert Sad . It consists of a cheap CD player, 2 5 1/4" round and 2 6x9's, a small 80w amp and a box with an 8" sub. I bought everything used years ago from a friend....if it makes it into the Thing I'll post pics.
I'm a little unclear....did you make the front speaker mounts or buy them?
Robbie
bmwloco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought the "mounts" from The Thing Shop. Here's the link:

http://www.thethingshop.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=181RF

Sans speakers. They came without holes, so I had to make them myself. The material that came out when I cut the hole make two great motorcycle side stand "savers" i.e. put 'em down when you're on hot asphalt so the stand doesn't sink Smile
GA_RR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bmwloco wrote:
I bought the "mounts" from The Thing Shop. Here's the link:

http://www.thethingshop.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=181RF

Sans speakers. They came without holes, so I had to make them myself. The material that came out when I cut the hole make two great motorcycle side stand "savers" i.e. put 'em down when you're on hot asphalt so the stand doesn't sink Smile

Ah, I see now. I was confused when you talked about drilling holes for them. I know what you mean about the side stand savers, I usually use a smashed coke can Very Happy
bmwloco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drove my Thing to work today; Joan Armatrading on an old Cassette. It was really nice to have a soundtrack to my daily commute.

Later today I'll have my iPod plugged in for the ride home. I can't wait!
kubelmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I look at the link to the Dual site. Does that baby really have a 1/4" aux jack on the faceplate? MEaning you can plug the ipod or CD player into it without a cassette or FM adapter? IF yes that is cool adn I am getting onboard.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Captain Spalding
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of models have the front panel aux-in jack.

This one even has SD Card and USB flash drive ports.
kubelmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice.. I suspect these go for more than $38 shipped..
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: