Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

6 volt to 12 volt?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
JinxedSydney
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I need some help with a 12v generator switch over. I have a Bosch GR 15 30 amp unit, and I cannot get it to fit correctly onto my 6v fan backing plate assembly. I've consulted the Bentley, Muir and the search engine and can't find any pictures that will help me. Does anyone have the same or similar generator on a 40 hp engine that can help me out with pictures?
bigbore
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need all the 12 volt backing plate parts to make it work. Also a 12 volt gen stand.
JinxedSydney
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks bigbore. So the 12v backing plate will fit fine on my shroud? I already have the stand.
bigbore
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep
It will bolt right up to the shroud.
JinxedSydney
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gracias again, senor. Now...I've gotta find one. Very Happy
tb03830
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not read all the way through this yet but I found out on my 64 vert that I needed a wire from the idiot light to a ground(?) to make sure the battery would charge. If you need me to verify what this wire is in photos I will. I did the same job and an local expert showed me in a memo he got from the VW manufactures in 1971. He was right the wire was required to charge the battery correctly and it works like a champ. The wire is only 10 inches long so it is not a big deal but the idiot light needs to be changed also for 12v.

If you need a picture of anything let me know. I kept the 1200cc engine in place on mine.

1964 Convertible Bug - 1600cc SP engine with a stock H30/31 Carb and SVDA Distributor - Swing Arm Highway Flyer Tranny, Gene Berg's Temperature Dipstick, 2.5" drop spindles, 2" narrowed adjustable front end. Chromed OEM fan tower.
JinxedSydney
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know of a good source for a 12v backing plate retaining ring/flange? I can find the kits that include all, but I just need the small ring.
tb03830
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you only need the flang I have no Idea were you get it. I got mine in the kit for the whole asymbly but I would think a junk yard or a salvage yard would work.

1964 Convertible Bug - 1600cc SP engine with a stock H30/31 Carb and SVDA Distributor - Swing Arm Highway Flyer Tranny, Gene Berg's Temperature Dipstick, 2.5" drop spindles, 2" narrowed adjustable front end. Chromed OEM fan tower.
bigbore
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JinxedSydney wrote:
Does anyone know of a good source for a 12v backing plate retaining ring/flange? I can find the kits that include all, but I just need the small ring.

I got a few here drop-in and pick one up. Laughing Wink
on3k1ngd0m
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:24 pm    Post subject: Totally Confused Reply with quote

I just bought a 1965 bug from some guy and he supposedly say there is a 12 volt conversion. I checked the battery and it looked liek a 12 volt to me. So going with that I want to change out all the lights, but don't know where to start. I have been reading this post and it has been quite confusing. Somebody posted up a link where to buy some bulbs but all I saw was that it went by years. In other words I just need general help on what bulbs to buy for my 1965 bug with a 12 volt conversion. Can I buy like 12 volt bulb set that was meant for a later year model or no? Thank you for the help!
tb03830
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just went to Wal-Mart and held the bulb up to the ones that were similar and got ones that were physicaly the same. Some bulbs have two filiments and the ends are dirfferent sizes. They work great.

Remember the bulbs are are only bulbs. The new ones are 12v and if they fit and function the same they will work (Generally).

Check your battery info. It will tell you if it 12v.

Also do you have a 12v generator and Coil? Test them to verify.

You may have to fiddle with the fuses a little, so buy a full range of them. Some fuses will work fine but others pop due to being slightly overloaded but the wires are fine.

dakdak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Totally Confused Reply with quote

on3k1ngd0m wrote:
I just bought a 1965 bug from some guy and he supposedly say there is a 12 volt conversion. I checked the battery and it looked liek a 12 volt to me. So going with that I want to change out all the lights, but don't know where to start. I have been reading this post and it has been quite confusing. Somebody posted up a link where to buy some bulbs but all I saw was that it went by years. In other words I just need general help on what bulbs to buy for my 1965 bug with a 12 volt conversion. Can I buy like 12 volt bulb set that was meant for a later year model or no? Thank you for the help!

If it's a 12V battery, you'll recognise it has 6 caps on it and is physically bigger than a 6V battery.

To conform if your generator is 12V, the regulator should either be bolted to the fan housing or under the seat on the left side. The coil should be marked 12V. As for your lights, the 12V wattage will be the same for 6V i.e. blinkers will be 21W, brake/tail lights will be 5W/18W, speedo lights will be 2W, headlights will be 55/60W and interior light will be (I think) 5W.
The bases of the above lights will be identical and bolt straight into your existing light holders.

Do you know if the starter has been converted to 12V? The proper conversion will either have had the 12V flywheel (bigger diameter) and 12V starter fitted, or the 6V starter would have had a 12V solenoid fitted.

Also, if the wiper motor hasn't been modified to 12V, they will operate very fast under 12V power. This can be overcome by a 12V to 6V reducer.

JFK
tubdub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Totally Confused Reply with quote

dakdak wrote:
on3k1ngd0m wrote:

Also, if the wiper motor hasn't been modified to 12V, they will operate very fast under 12V power. This can be overcome by a 12V to 6V reducer.

For the wiper motor you can go to a wrecking yard and take the rear wiper motor or just the armature from a 1983 and older volvo station wagon and put it in your wiper motor and it will become a 12 volt wiper. wolfsburg west sells a 12 v armature but the volvo ones seem to be of a better quality
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tb03830
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget the 12v dummy light and the extra wire to the ground. This is a common error when changing to 12v. It causes the battery not to charge right I have been told. works great on mine.

heywebonya
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:21 pm    Post subject: Pict 34 carb interferes with Alternator - ideas? Reply with quote

I converted the 1973 AE series 1600 series (PO converted to 6 V) with a 12 V alternator and the PICT 34 carb interferes with alternator. I cannot press the pedal all the way down. The larger diameter of the alternator prevents the linkages to move freely.

Any hints? Possibly a spacer would work?

Jeff
dakdak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Pict 34 carb interferes with Alternator - ideas? Reply with quote

heywebonya wrote:
I converted the 1973 AE series 1600 series (PO converted to 6 V) with a 12 V alternator and the PICT 34 carb interferes with alternator. I cannot press the pedal all the way down. The larger diameter of the alternator prevents the linkages to move freely.

Any hints? Possibly a spacer would work?

Jeff

What you need is a spacer that sits under the carburettor. One of these should do the trick.

http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=C26%2D127%2D021

JFK
tb03830
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: Totally Confused Reply with quote

tubdub wrote:
dakdak wrote:
on3k1ngd0m wrote:

For the wiper motor you can go to a wrecking yard and take the rear wiper motor or just the armature from a 1983 and older volvo station wagon and put it in your wiper motor and it will become a 12 volt wiper. wolfsburg west sells a 12 v armature but the volvo ones seem to be of a better quality

Check these out, they helped me alot on my convertion.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=389208

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=233946

Bulbs are bulbs. Go to Walmart and compare the size and filiments. If they look the same they will probably work with the exception of the head lights. You will simply have to get a 12v years headlights that will fit. Not sure the first year 12v came out though.

azmtbr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:22 pm    Post subject: Electrical Problem with 64 bug Reply with quote

I came across this thread and thought maybe someone on here might be able to help me out. I have a 64 bug that's been converted to 12v. The wire from the regulator to alternator had the insulation warn off and it was arcing. I replaced wire along with right side taillight wiring which was damaged from the arcing. (car is a recent purchase) noticed taillights along with turnsignals were not working or working correctly. Led me to the 12v flasher relay which had some damage to it. Relay was a 5 pin that the PO had 4 wires wired up. 2 of which ran to the #1 fuse terminal. I went to the local Checker and they didn't have harness to go with relay so sent me to the local electronics store where I purchased another 5 pin relay and harness. The car was running upto the removal of relay. Reinstalled relay turnsignals work correctly along with tail lights. Problem now is the car won't turn over. It's getting not getting any spark checked at plugs, checked at coil. Carb is getting gas. Now that I've written a book my question, could the replaced relay be causing this somehow, ex. not a oem replacement or is it just a coincedence and the ignition switch is bad or regulator?
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 12 v convertion Reply with quote

Dan14 wrote:
what do I do if I've put a newer style(12v) tranny in my 63 with a 40hp motor. I still have a 6v flywheel but the bell housing is set up for a 12v starter. I don't think I can change my flywheel as it has a different lip, than a 12v, that mates up to the crank. What are my options?

I see the starter salesman jumped right on this one suggesting you buy his starter........ Howabout this take your 6 volt starter and turn the shaft down to match the smaller bushing.... We've done this and it works and its cheaper than buying another starter you dont need....
bigbore
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why don't you just do a search? thay do make a bushing for that (6 volt starter to 12 volt trany)
http://www.westcoastcore.com/servlet/the-1593/VW-BUG-BUGGY-TRIKE/Detail
Messing around trying to turn down a shaft is more work then its worth.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:
Page 9 of 12

Jump to: