Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did you do for your Bus today?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 413, 414, 415 ... 678, 679, 680  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
frehstan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

warriorbass05 wrote:
frehstan wrote:
Today I drove it 140 miles round trip to YUBuggin 2011 and did 4 laps around Atlanta Motor Speedway. Shocked Very Happy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQ-zcKFHERg

I was waiting to see when the red beetle would get passed...you running with or without RGB?

With a non rebuilt stock tranmission and RGB's, a 1600 dp modified with a Scat c25 cam and a pair larger intake/exhaust heads as the only mods. Built in my carport and run daily for the past two years.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kharon8 wrote:
Linda Grunthaner wrote:
So can someone explain Kharon8's bus from Finland, very unusual windows, almost like Brazilian designs. Search reveals nothing for me.

I can. Wink

But it will be a long story and it's more about tax and loopholes than cars.

A long story, but very interesting. Thanks for sharing. Your English and grammar are better than many of the Americans posting online. Thanks for using paragraph breaks.
volksbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 3:52 pm    Post subject: Visitation Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Visited. Pumped up the tires for a brief moment in the hot sun.
1967 Dodge A-108 CampWagon
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Isgro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mr white wrote:
I did not make it to woodburn today. Instead worked on my newly aquired 8/55 23 window bus. I will post pics in the gallery under deluxes as I cannot figure out how to post pics in a forum. This will be a silent thread so to speak. For those of you who care page 318 of the hunting forums by user Isgro is the start of this tale. It is my duty to restore this bus. It shall be done. HUGE project. Feast your eyes tomorrow,the tale begins!! Nothing is impossible!

Glad that Nate got it out to you safely Jason. Can't wait to see you get going on it. Here's pics from Nate of how it was delivered and right after it was dropped off...

Edit: I just got a text forwarded to me with this photo. It looks like Jason is getting right to it!

B.D.I. | club.broke.status | Busdejos | '63 S-cab
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mr white
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mr. Isgro! What a battle,now it rolls on a chassis. I posted pics in the gallery of the battle.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cuņado Wear
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:43 pm    Post subject: 63' 15 Window Deluxe Reply with quote

-Sanded and Polished Rust
Spent two weekends on this!
So much work! Do not want to do this again.

See my gallery below for before and after pictures:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=daddymac1vw

Looking for front kick panels for late 63' Deluxe Basalt Gray
60' Double Cab
63' 15 Window Deluxe
oarse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spun a brake drum on Saturday, replaced today. Re-torqued the other side and installed new cotter pins. Also replaced some hub cap spring/clips that were broken off.

Installed new center pin as per Hazetguy's tutorial. Went well, and the bus doesn't wander at high speeds like it did before.

Thanks Lance for lending me the reamer!

Last edited by oarse on Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
kombisutra
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice crack whore in front of me at a Richmond recycling facility with small bits of aluminum and copper also had this nice Vienna Radio. When I addressed the radio as interesting, she pulled out a knife and made quick to hack off the copper antennae, to which I winced and asked her if I could buy it from her instead. She first said $2.00, but noticing my 70lbs of bronze, quickly upped it 50% to $3.00. I was impressed by her business savvy, and quickly paid her price. Who cares if it works. A picture of her would have been more entertaining than this:

kombisutra
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mr white wrote:
Thanks Mr. Isgro! What a battle,now it rolls on a chassis. I posted pics in the gallery of the battle.

Damn! Two amazing feats here if I'm seeing this right: 1) bus was delivered all the way from the east coast to Oregon, and 2) bus gets it's entire chassis cut off in under 24 hours? Wow!

I remember this bus from last year when it was posted and awed at it's potential and possible plight. Like all, I'm thrilled it's looking to have landed in the hands of a hardened welder, verses getting parted out. Way to step up!
BlastMasterMannyFresh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kombisutra wrote:
mr white wrote:

Damn! Two amazing feats here if I'm seeing this right: 1) bus was delivered all the way from the east coast to Oregon, and 2) bus gets it's entire chassis cut off in under 24 hours? Wow!

I remember this bus from last year when it was posted and awed at it's potential and possible plight. Like all, I'm thrilled it's looking to have landed in the hands of a hardened welder, verses getting parted out. Way to step up!

100% correct on both observations.
What's the story here Matt? did you sell the bus? or, is Mr. White fixing it for you?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Isgro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bus was found by a couple of good friends of mine, Nate and Scott, who don't get online nearly as much as me (I've got a desk job, haha). I posted up about the "rescue" last year out of pure excitement only to be contacted by several folks who were interested in acquiring the bus. While Nate and Scott would have loved to keep the bus and bring it back to it's former glory, the scope of the work was beyond what they could take on. Being that I was just along as an excited spectator and helping hand, I connected them with Jason and they worked something out (the bus is now his). Some issues arose after the shipper who was hired refused to take the bus and Nate was finally able to break away for a road trip to deliver the bus himself last month. It's finally in Mr. White's hands and on it's way to becoming whole again.

To say that I'm excited about it would be an understatement, especially after Nate reported to me about how cool Jason was in person. I just hope that one day I'll get a chance to get a ride in it as I've grown quite fond of that rusty beast, haha.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kanniff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rebuilt the passenger side front door window with new WW rubber.
SO time consuming to break all that old crusty rubber off with a hammer and flat head screwdriver Rolling Eyes
mr white
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spent the day working on Pillenstein and the 23 window. I will update the 23 window every Sunday in the gallery. Also The outlaw Kim is working on.Kim asked me on Monday to help out on a 356 vert after the outlaw. I am honored. Beyond honored! This 55 23 window shall drive again. Sunday,the front clip will be installed. Another old bus player from the PNW ,1980s is happy to donate and help. My first priority is Pillenstein. Look forward to Sunday in the gallery for updates on the 23 window. Matt Isgro, thanks for all your efforts and help,....drive your 63 single,yes Nate told me. You are welcome to Orenco anytime.Anytime my friend,..thank you for your efforts helping get the 23 to me. Nate,You,and Scott..Big Dave,and yes,my black and white haired buddy,..Fisbo too will all be among the first to take a cruise.It will happen,roadworthy within a year!! Very Happy
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
mr white wrote:
I did not make it to woodburn today. Instead worked on my newly aquired 8/55 23 window bus. I will post pics in the gallery under deluxes as I cannot figure out how to post pics in a forum. This will be a silent thread so to speak. For those of you who care page 318 of the hunting forums by user Isgro is the start of this tale. It is my duty to restore this bus. It shall be done. HUGE project. Feast your eyes tomorrow,the tale begins!! Nothing is impossible!

For the lazy, direct post link
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=4212431#4212431

One pic:

wow. whole lotta welding needed
maybe start a thread on it?
sorry not to have seen you at Woodburn.
BlastMasterMannyFresh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unrelated to this story, Matt Isgro's roomate in college Nick is Leana's (my girlfriend) best friend since childhood, Leana and I meet Matt last year through a completely diferent group of friends from the New England area that I've been friends with for a few years. The conection was made a few months ago by Leana's friend Nick who now lives in Seattle, and has nothing to do with the whole vw scene.
THE END
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Kharon8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:52 am    Post subject: Trip meter Reply with quote

Co-owner found a nice period correct trip meter (this van was in active use until 1977, so 70s accessories are OK Smile ) and I immediately installed it:

These were quite common in 70s as most cars didn't have trip meters as stock and van don't have even fuel meter, so it's nice to know when you last time filled the gas tank. Smile

(We've a two gallons of spare fuel in a can but that's not much.)
Isgro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mr white wrote:
Matt Isgro, thanks for all your efforts and help,....drive your 63 single,yes Nate told me. You are welcome to Orenco anytime.Anytime my friend,..thank you for your efforts helping get the 23 to me. Nate,You,and Scott..Big Dave,and yes,my black and white haired buddy,..Fisbo too will all be among the first to take a cruise.It will happen,roadworthy within a year!! Very Happy

No problem Jason. I'm ecstatic that it finally all worked out. I'd love to be able to get out there to check out the 23 when you're done.

I'll be working on the motor for my Single Cab more tonight. I'm taking my time since this is my first motor build. I've been checking things twice, three times, sometimes even four, haha.

mannys66 wrote:
Unrelated to this story, Matt Isgro's roomate in college Nick is Leana's (my girlfriend) best friend since childhood, Leana and I meet Matt last year through a completely diferent group of friends from the New England area that I've been friends with for a few years. The conection was made a few months ago by Leana's friend Nick who now lives in Seattle, and has nothing to do with the whole vw scene.
THE END

LOL. Small world, isn't it? See you at Litchfield?

kombisutra
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isgro wrote:

I'll be working on the motor for my Single Cab more tonight. I'm taking my time since this is my first motor build. I've been checking things twice, three times, sometimes even four, haha.

Hey... this is kind of inspiring, thanks for the lift. I think I'll go out and start putting parts on the newly sanitized, gasoline-blasted mystery 1600 long block I've got waiting for me in that white bus out in the driveway. I'll see if I can post a few pictures.
BlastMasterMannyFresh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isgro wrote:
mr white wrote:
Matt Isgro, thanks for all your efforts and help,....drive your 63 single,yes Nate told me. You are welcome to Orenco anytime.Anytime my friend,..thank you for your efforts helping get the 23 to me. Nate,You,and Scott..Big Dave,and yes,my black and white haired buddy,..Fisbo too will all be among the first to take a cruise.It will happen,roadworthy within a year!! Very Happy

No problem Jason. I'm ecstatic that it finally all worked out. I'd love to be able to get out there to check out the 23 when you're done.

mannys66 wrote:
THE END

LOL. Small world, isn't it? See you at Litchfield?

Are you driving this beast to Litchfield next week?
kombisutra
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, so I got me some Cool Feels good, and, like normal when checking to see if a mystery motor may or may not be worthy, I started out with some fishing. You know, pull the sump cover, dip your magnet into the goop and hope for nothing too out of the ordinary.

Some cats would stop there, but if you think about it, there's a whole lot more potential for lunkers on the OTHER side of that screen, so I snuck in all quiet like and eased my lure into the ultimate honey hole...

The problem is... well... I caught something. I'm posting this because having not yet built-up a motor from the ground up, I'm actually unsure where this special 10mm nut may have come from. Yeah, I could pull the book out, but I'm kinda' swinging tools at the moment. Any ideas?

Last edited by kombisutra on Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 413, 414, 415 ... 678, 679, 680  Next
Jump to:
Page 414 of 680

Jump to: