Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did you do for your Bus today?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 586, 587, 588 ... 679, 680, 681  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, BTW, I always drill a small hole in the cable hook, then wire tie the cable end into place. I don't care if it lasts a long time, as long as it stays hooked during the cursing session about to ensue.
Daddybus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Used the Wideband to tune the carbs after experimenting with 36mm and 32mm venturis. Settled on 34mm vents air bleeds 3/4 turns out, 55 idles, 145 mains, 175 air correction.

I had my tortoise out in the front yard to get some sun while I was working on the daddybus in the driveway. Tortoise made a run for it...I hope he comes back. Crying or Very sad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
&Dan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
I feel lucky. All I did for my bus was call the local gendarme to come over for a VIN inspection. They did the work while my neighbors wondered why there was a police cruiser in front of my house.

Then I changed the tire. Time for happy hour here as well. I'll tip one for you, Dan. Cool

Wait, what? They'll come to your house? That's great! The only individual in town here offering annual inspections abandoned her license to do so when the family gas station burned down and her certification lapsed. Now an inspection involves a long round-trip elsewhere to individuals who'd rather not be bothered. It just flat sucks.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

&Dan wrote:
cdennisg wrote:
I feel lucky. All I did for my bus was call the local gendarme to come over for a VIN inspection. They did the work while my neighbors wondered why there was a police cruiser in front of my house.

Then I changed the tire. Time for happy hour here as well. I'll tip one for you, Dan. Cool

Wait, what? They'll come to your house? That's great! The only individual in town here offering annual inspections abandoned her license to do so when the family gas station burned down and her certification lapsed. Now an inspection involves a long round-trip elsewhere to individuals who'd rather not be bothered. It just flat sucks.

Yeah. Sort of surprising in the "do it yourself" state of Idaho, but we get that luxury at least. I live in the city limits, so it is usually city cops that drop by, but I know the sheriff, and they do it, too. The county commissioners have tried to make it go away, but the local folks want it, and the officers like having a way to keep in contact with the locals. It helps with communication and to keep the finger on the pulse.
&Dan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, that seems awfully humane. I wish they would arrange such an, uh, arrangement here.

I did bind the hook to the cable but with an array of greasy, angrily applied Zip-ties.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find that grease and anger help with zip tie application. Or is it that grease and zip ties help with anger application? Think
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes yes keep just as she is you can wait to do the small spots and then a blend to match original paint. As for the panels get a set from Clara she made mine she is the best around. I have the same bus 67 westy Poptop and if my paint was as nice as yours I would keep it. I'll be looking at your photos and also asking for info as I continue to assemble mine which is not a priority on my list of things to do. Congratulations on this amazing original Westy. BTW, do not remove anything or throw away anything without consulting here first. And start a thread of this amazing find.

Kattenes wrote:
The nose is its strong suit. I never realized the center crease extended to below the VW sign:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The are pinholes in the front of the rocker panel:

Wheel arches and underside are all like this:

In the window is still the tourist sticker from Guatemala and on the dash are the toll receipts from Mexico:

I'd love to know if anyone sells correct interior panels. The guy advertising on TheSamba did not answer my email:

It does pollish up Ok, at least in this spot; I need a pollishing machine:

The battery corner is really bad and the right rocker panel is not very good. But I could not take pictures on the right side.

www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Kattenes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

who is Clara? Contact data?

I will heed y'all's advise.

I will have to replace the battery corner > KlassicFab battery tray already ordered. If OK, will also order corner.
Right rocker panel will most likely also have to be done.

Will try to match paint.

I will try to find a dent wizard for the dents (next year).

Halfheartedly considering dry-ice cleaning of undercarriage. But is not really necessary.

Martin
Pinetops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kattenes wrote:
Hello,

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=8585
ozark23
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pulled out the old glass/seals.
Sanded and painted the frames.
Getting ready to put Safari's in. 10 years later.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cru62
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kattenes wrote:
Hello,

I will heed y'all's advise.

I will have to replace the battery corner > KlassicFab battery tray already ordered. If OK, will also order corner.
Right rocker panel will most likely also have to be done.

Will try to match paint.

I will try to find a dent wizard for the dents (next year).

Halfheartedly considering dry-ice cleaning of undercarriage. But is not really necessary.

Martin
l

Please do not allow a buffer anywhere near your awesome paint. Trying to get a non-original luster will only end in tears. Original paint should never be sanded and only buffed by hand using the most mild product you can find. A machine will thin the paint, especially at edges and contour transitions no matter how "skilled" the operator claims to be. While it may not burn through to primer, it will be thinner. And thinner paint offers less protection, hence a greater likelihood that moisture will reach the metal and voila!, rust. Just look at all the buses left out in the elements with rust stains coming through the paint.

But, it is your bus, so rock on.

Jokes about German sausage are the wurst.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
ozark23
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 12:53 pm    Post subject: Today we took the Bus camping Reply with quote

good times at the lake with the Family in the bus.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Big Bill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Installed the front and middle roof panels from Clara, working to get the rear one in today. They were a perfect fit, I have never seen an OG set but I believe they look like a set. These panels are getting me one step closer to the vision in my head Shocked that I have for this bus. There are wood camper type panels on the cargo doors and areas behind them, I am going to take those out and make and paint a set of to match the roof panels.
Tyler 5447
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I replaced my cargo door seals and both front door body seals. The bus is much quieter now. Tomorrow hopefully I can give the sticky turn signal switch some love and get the rear hatch and engine lid seals. And maybe a little more metal work on the long side rocker.
oakman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big Bill wrote:
Installed the front and middle roof panels from Clara, working to get the rear one in today. They were a perfect fit, I have never seen an OG set but I believe they look like a set. These panels are getting me one step closer to the vision in my head Shocked that I have for this bus. There are wood camper type panels on the cargo doors and areas behind them, I am going to take those out and make and paint a set of to match the roof panels.

Your bus is awesome Bill! I want to do the same to my panel eventually, should make it much quieter too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Big Bill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank You, yes insulating the cargo doors, roof, and the rear panel areas has made it much quieter. I also made a panel over the engine compartment and put insulation under it and put in a WW rubber cargo mat which helped alot. Having no rear seat still lets a lot of noise thru. Very Happy
tyzel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't normally post here but thought I'd share this, finally got a little time at work to do something for myself Very Happy Built this rear storage for my 62, maple face frame, front's and drawer boxes with a 3/4 pine ply top, need to finish that up still but needed to scribe it in with the corners for a nice tight fit. Need to veneer the front and rear edges of the pine and also will ad a maple cargo stop rail front and back, will probably lay some carpet on the rest and ad some 1/4 maple luggage rails. Will ad pulls when final adjustments are all done.

norcalmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Installed my DG Hoops and bows.

EeVeeWee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I emptied the tank with pressed air, did some more parts removal, a cleanup, support of the car and my first ever welding to a restoration car. Very Happy

pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This quote is from September 2011. That muffler is still running strong on the Plump Truck! Razz

I wrote:
pyrOman wrote:
Got the Plump Truck running Sunday. Washed it, sanded some of the front nose and top rust "issues" and sprayed them white. Drove it to work yesterday and today. Needs a new muffler though. The "pretty" USA made ceramic coated one had "swelled up" and cracked so it was leaking. Grabbed a rusty EMPI one from my pile but it points nearly straight up so the bumper had to be removed. Runs good! Cool

Update: Except for the thin coat of actual "chrome" left on the rusty EMPI, it was, well, totally rusty! Not to mention the steep upward angle preventing the bumper install. So yesterday I stopped a WeeParts looking for a "cheap" EMPI muffler to replace it. That didn't happen since the "cheap" ones are over $100. Shocked

Figured to do something else! So I stopped a PeepBoys and got a beefy but short muffler for just $30, sliced the intake and tail pipes off the old muffler and welded them unto the new muffler. I'm willing to bet a cool case of Pacificos that this one will more than outlast the "cheap" hunnert dolla EMPI by far!!! Razz

Here's the old muffler showing cracks, leaks and if you look closer, it's all "swelled up":

The new beefy $30 one! Dancing

(Note the EMPI one showing its rustosis) Smile

Now... I just got another engine back together and needing a muffler. Having had ^^^THAT^^^ past experience, I went straight for it rather than wasting time and gaining aggravation over the "cheap" empi with its 6 months life span. Rolling Eyes

Anyway, here's the short process:

BTW, this time the muffler was only $22.00 at the peepboys! Dancing
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 586, 587, 588 ... 679, 680, 681  Next
Jump to:
Page 587 of 681

Jump to: